DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

5 minutes ago, supremebve said:

She was about 25 years too early, if she was around when women taken more seriously she'd be a huge star.  Dude, not only was it not fashionable in WWF/WWE, there weren't women anywhere on television with their ass out.  The Thong Song came out in like 1999 and the video showed more of Sisqo doing cartwheels at the beach than it did thongs.  She had the ring ropes between her ass cheeks in 1991 at Wrestlemania VII, I can't think of a time or place where you would have seen a thong on television before that.   

I know it would be ultra time sensitive, but the fact that no one has come up with the ratchet black girl/hot girl summer/City Girls gimmick by now tells you how out of touch wrestling creative is with pop culture. Fashion Nova (the men's line but you get the point) is sponsoring BOXING before pro wrestling where you get to have characters. If Sherri Martel was around today, that would essentially be her gimmick.

As a kid it didn't register to me what Sherri was doing at the time.  But watching them again over the years was a real eye-opener.  Shit, it's been so long since I watched certain matches that it was until two months ago I saw her in Summerslam '92.  Yowza.

But Sherri was the far better woman to be with Macho.  They were both so diabolical and the lengths she went to to get things done (not just showing ass...literally) are to be commended.  I also loved her pairing with Shawn and Harlem Heat as she helped establish them as big deals.  Damn I miss Sherri, she was tremendous.

• Like 6

Just now, odessasteps said:

Wasnt that why Farooq was managed by Sunny? "Mandingo fear" as it were

I guess but I don't remember them being romantically linked in storyline. That whole thing was underlying. By the mid-90s, it wasn't as taboo unless you were willing to go there. Hell with Sherri and Harlem Heat, the fact she was wearing layers of makeup and didn't speak proper, you can easily pass her off as Creole. It wasn't until the internet age I realized she was just an olive skinned white lady from the deep south.

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I guess but I don't remember them being romantically linked in storyline. That whole thing was underlying. By the mid-90s, it wasn't as taboo unless you were willing to go there. Hell with Sherri and Harlem Heat, the fact she was wearing layers of makeup and didn't speak proper, you can easily pass her off as Creole. It wasn't until the internet age I realized she was just an olive skinned white lady from the deep south.

That whole Sherri/Col. Robert Parker romance is fucking insane in retrospect.  How did anyone think that was OK as late as 1995?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, supremebve said:

That whole Sherri/Col. Robert Parker romance is fucking insane in retrospect.  How did anyone think that was OK as late as 1995?

Based on Bischoff's comments on the 83 Weeks podcast for the events around then, I think you could push through anything in that madhouse before people (the Turner/TV top brass) flipped their lids and found out what was going on.

3 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I'm still surprised someone didn't show Vince a picture of Drago/Dany from Game of Thrones and pitch the idea for a Roman/Alexa duo.

Seriously, with all the time WWE has spent creating a universe and their own vernacular, I'm sincerely shocked WWE doesn't have their own Valyrian and Dothraki type languages. If you're gonna go obnoxious, you have to go FULL obnoxious.

All this fantasy booking does is remind me of the storyline of Angle desperately wanting to fuck Sharmell and, as the story goes, Vince scripting a line for Kurt to say he wanted to have wild, "bestiality" sex with her.  To hear Court Bauer tell it, he had to explain to Vince that "bestial" and "bestiality" are two different things ("I want to fuck like wild animals" VS "you are an animal, not a person, but I want to fuck you anyway"). 

Edited by Technico Support

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

All this fantasy booking does is remind me of Angle desperately wanting to fuck Sharmell and, as the story goes, Vince scripting a line for Kurt to say he wanted to have wild, "bestiality" sex with her.  To hear Court Bauer tell it, he had to explain to Vince that "bestial" and "bestiality" are two different things ("I want to fuck like wild animals" VS "you are an animal, not a person, but I want to fuck you anyway"). 

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

All this fantasy booking does is remind me of the storyline of Angle desperately wanting to fuck Sharmell and, as the story goes, Vince scripting a line for Kurt to say he wanted to have wild, "bestiality" sex with her.  To hear Court Bauer tell it, he had to explain to Vince that "bestial" and "bestiality" are two different things ("I want to fuck like wild animals" VS "you are an animal, not a person, but I want to fuck you anyway"). 

Yeah, I believe Vince meant it how he scripted it and didn't need the explanation.

• Like 1

So the WWE wants to or is about to  have its own Podcast Network.  That's just great I can only imagine the stuff that will be on this:

1.  At least one Sam Roberts show

2.  At least one Peter Rosenberg show

3.  At least one show that openly mocks dirt sheet writers

Roman had zero lines. Hell, he may have been on screen 4 or 5 times total. Also, when he was on screen, why would he get a reaction?! There was literally nothing he did that would warrant more of a reaction than Cliff Curtis or the woman who played Hobbs' mom received.

I know we joke that Dave is on the spectrum, but damn, he's on the spectrum.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Except for the short one.

Fuck Game of Thrones. Give Roman a trident that he'll never be able to use properly and pretend he's Aquaman. 

Paul London had a trident for a while, didn't he? King Neptune gimmick? Blade 3 sucked, what are you going to do about it?

Meanwhile, from the "Promoter trolls Cornette for publicity" file, Orange Cassidy is wrestling the Boogeyman this Saturday.

Last movie I saw in a theatre was "Rough Night". We were on our 4th date. When Ty Burrell appeared on screen, I lost my shit, dumped the popcorn over my head and started chanting "Dunphy! Dunphy! Dunphy!" until we were kicked out of the theatre. 

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

Meanwhile, from the "Promoter trolls Cornette for publicity" file, Orange Cassidy is wrestling the Boogeyman this Saturday.

If the Boogeyman somehow sneaks worms into Cassidy's pockets, then this match gets all the snowflakes. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

What Meltzer expected the crowd would respond like:

g3AEMdV.gif

Seriously, not to gang up and bully the dude, but at this point his Twitter only produces memes.

Edited by Edwin

14 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'm just gonna leave this here because it's hilarious. 

Wasn't he responding to somebody who was pretend shocked Roman and Rock got no reaction in the theatre?