DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm a metal fan and the only WWE theme that is remotely good in that vein (as in supposedly "heavy") to me is Strowman's.

The last one before that was... uhhh... hmmm... Vader's? 

Stone Cold's Disturbed theme was pretty great, or does that not count?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

Stone Cold's Disturbed theme was pretty great, or does that not count?

I'll save someone a "nu metal isn't metal" post. 

There's a big difference between music that I think is good as a wrestling theme and music I would choose to listen to outside the context of the wrestling show. Disturbed is a pretty good example of something I wouldn't be caught dead listening to in my spare time, but it worked for Austin at the time. I don't know if Curt was making that distinction or not. 

10 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Exactly that, yeah. Between that (and getting to play with the best DMs/players on the reg in his dope dungeon), wrestling, and Sofia... Dude!

edit: his D&D clothing line, Death Saves, is fucking AMAZING. I own a bunch of their shirts and posters. Love it!

Why the fuck did I click that?

I'm not made of money god damn it

I don't even play D & D that shit is just metal as fuck

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Disturbed is a pretty good example of something I wouldn't be caught dead listening to in my spare time, but it worked for Austin at the time

100% with you there haha. Although I did quite like that cover they did of Land of Confusion... I've just outed myself as a Genesis fan haven't I?

10 hours ago, Super Ape said:

All the praise for Roman/Murphy makes me almost wish I wasn’t a petty asshole who won’t watch WWE because he was mad about a stupid comedy segment in 2007.

Almost.

I think my official breaking point was when they brought The Authority back a month after they were banished forever at Survivor Series 2014. It pretty much told me that they would never get past their need for evil authority figures.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

I'll save someone a "nu metal isn't metal" post. 

There's a big difference between music that I think is good as a wrestling theme and music I would choose to listen to outside the context of the wrestling show. Disturbed is a pretty good example of something I wouldn't be caught dead listening to in my spare time, but it worked for Austin at the time. I don't know if Curt was making that distinction or not. 

I think the only wrestling theme song I have ever listened to outside the wrestling bubble is Badstreet USA.  

46 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

I think the only wrestling theme song I have ever listened to outside the wrestling bubble is Badstreet USA.  

Depends if you count regular songs that became wrestling themes, like Cult of Personality or Enter Sandman. I had a friend who badgered me to buy the 5 CD WWE the music anthology, so he could borrow the disc with Billy Gunn's music on. He thought it would be ideal to blast in his car of a summer, with the volume up and the windows down. He was thwarted though, when I didn't buy the anthology. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, goodhelmet said:

He's also a huge D&D nerd who builds D&D sets in his basement. 

He recently posted pics from a big D&D night he hosted that featured one of Game of Thrones show-runners, Vince Vaughn and the Big Show, among others.  

19 hours ago, Casey said:

I mean, if anything, Code Orange takes more from bands like Killswitch Engage than they do Korn. Metalcore and nu-metal are... very different.

I didn't realize that was Code Orange when watching SummerSlam. I was happy to see them on NXT when they performed and I'm happy they are getting this chance too. It's pretty fashionable to hate on them in the hardcore scene right now but I've liked all of their records.

7 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I didn't realize that was Code Orange when watching SummerSlam. I was happy to see them on NXT when they performed and I'm happy they are getting this chance too. It's pretty fashionable to hate on them in the hardcore scene right now but I've liked all of their records.

As far as I'm concerned, if the metal purist gatekeepers are hating on you, you're doing something right.

48 minutes ago, AxB said:

Depends if you count regular songs that became wrestling themes, like Cult of Personality or Enter Sandman. I had a friend who badgered me to buy the 5 CD WWE the music anthology, so he could borrow the disc with Billy Gunn's music on. He thought it would be ideal to blast in his car of a summer, with the volume up and the windows down. He was thwarted though, when I didn't buy the anthology. 

Did he find another way to let everyone know he's an ass man?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

He is right.  It is.  But the novelty wears off.  Now Chavo Guerrero’s theme, THAT is a theme with some summer driving staying power!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Yeah, pretty much. But even a lot of these themes are terrible. That one for Black is the shits. 

If they tank ratings with terrible shows now, then kick into high gear once they've jumped to Fox, they can say "Look how much the ratings have gone up since we came, give us more money for longer you idiots" 

• Like 2

On 8/13/2019 at 12:35 PM, PB-13 said:

Oh, I'm not necessarily saying to ditch wrestling completely. Just don't let it be your ONLY hobby.

x2 on this.

i circulate between wrestling, superhero comic books, and vintage video games. when my interest in one starts to fade, i dive deeper into the next. and around the circle we go. by the time i get back to the beginning, i'm ready for more AWA. or Mid South. or AEW. or Jushin Liger comps. always something fresh.

• Like 2

I want Orton and Kofi to both grab Ziggler and double pin him within seconds

Then again everybody probably wants that

EDIT: OOOO! OOOO! Trouble in Paradise into RKO into double pin. Then he complains and they do it again

Edited by Curt McGirt