DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

@Super Ape Nothing i could say about current New Japan hasn’t been said multiple times before, but even AEW takes a backseat to the simple logical booking, overly talented roster, and the thrills this company provides.  That said the AEW hype is what brought me back in.  Any Chikara recommendations?  I’ve always been aware, but never paid much attention other than many years back when the Kings of Wrestling and Larry Sweeney were running wild.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Any Chikara recommendations?  I’ve always been aware, but never paid much attention other than many years back when the Kings of Wrestling and Larry Sweeney were running wild.  

I'd like to submit that the rise and fall of Bruderschaft de Kruzes (I've prob misspelled that) is really good.

And pretty much any King of Trios card is solid, with my favorite being the year that hosted the return of the original 1-2-3 Kid.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, nate said:

I'd like to submit that the rise and fall of Bruderschaft de Kruzes (I've prob misspelled that) is really good.

And pretty much any King of Trios card is solid, with my favorite being the year that hosted the return of the original 1-2-3 Kid.

Thanks for this. Is the first suggestion current?  I’m  most interested to see what they’re up to right now

19 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Thanks for this. Is the first suggestion current?  I’m  most interested to see what they’re up to right now

Oooh, my bad.  Naw, that KoT is from (looks it up) daaaaang, 2011.  Good lord, time flies.

Lately, they've had what looks like a pretty interesting storyline, where the training camp was being used by Ophidian (My Daughter's Favorite Wrestler tm) as an underground fight club to train Chikara's protectors.  I've been reading it as it's been happening and it looks good.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, nate said:

Oooh, my bad.  Naw, that KoT is from (looks it up) daaaaang, 2011.  Good lord, time flies.

Lately, they've had what looks like a pretty interesting storyline, where the training camp was being used by Ophidian (My Daughter's Favorite Wrestler tm) as an underground fight club to train Chikara's protectors.  I've been reading it as it's been happening and it looks good.

It’s been pretty buckwild actually. They actually did a bunch of videos of them having shoot-style matches. It’s been fascinating, probably the most so that Chikara’s been since the closure angle.

Though I wonder what will happen now that Bryce and Orange Cassidy (who may or may not also be Fire Ant) are going to Jacksonville.

Edited by Super Ape

13 minutes ago, Super Ape said:

It’s been pretty buckwild actually. They actually did a bunch of videos of them having shoot-style matches. It’s been fascinating, probably the most so that Chikara’s been since the closure angle.

Though I wonder what will happen now that Bryce and Orange Cassidy (who may or may not also be Fire Ant) are going to Jacksonville.

I found out yesterday that Drew Gulak was Soldier Ant.  It completely blew my mind though thinking back to him it makes perfect sense that he was under the mask.

14 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

@Super Ape @nate how does one follow the current Chikara promotion ongoings?  I hope they aren’t still in DVD distro mode like the Guerrilla.

Chikara moved to a purely streaming platform ("Chikaratopia"?) recently.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nate said:

Chikara moved to a purely streaming platform ("Chikaratopia"?) recently.

They also do a whole bunch of shows on IWTV (the former Powerbomb.tv), which also the main streaming platform for Beyond.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PB-13 said:

Finding new hobbies is another option. Let it consume your life too much and it's easy to get dragged down by the negatives. Take it from someone who made that mistake.

Fuck that noise.

Wrestling is awesome.

Go watch old japanese handhelds. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PB-13 said:

Oh, I'm not necessarily saying to ditch wrestling completely. Just don't let it be your ONLY hobby.

I agree with this. I was kind of in a lull with my wrestling fandom since Omega left NJPW but getting into D&D has given me a spark in general as well as appreciating wrestling in slightly smaller doses. I think I'll just focus on AEW, NJPW, Stardom, and the bigger matches from smaller promotions rather than trying to watch everything and getting burned out all the time.

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Between the Wrestling Not from the Now thread and the 2019 Wrestling threads on this very board I don't see why anybody has to go signing up or looking for jack shit.

Certainly true, but it feels right supporting a product of such high quality as NJPW.  I say make a contribution to deserving products.  It’s kind of important, no? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Between the Wrestling Not from the Now thread and the 2019 Wrestling threads on this very board I don't see why anybody has to go signing up or looking for jack shit.

There is a monstrous difference between following a promotion (or watching swaths of it at a time) i.e. watching complete shows, and appreciating random matches. One can do both, of course, as well.

- RAF

2 hours ago, PB-13 said:

Oh, I'm not necessarily saying to ditch wrestling completely. Just don't let it be your ONLY hobby.

I can go on runs of homebrewing or playing golf. Pulling out VHS from the boxes in my basement can get me back into wrestling. Something labeled as Mexico #87 or GAEA 2001 where I don't know what it is.

6 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Just heard, and saw Bray Wyatt’s new entrance. It’s like a live KoRn music video. I don’t know if I’d consider that a good thing.

Early main roster Bray Wyatt was still the best, before it got too paranormal and shit. It was just this backwoods dirty preacher type dude with some hillbillies wrecking shit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Early main roster Bray Wyatt was still the best, before it got too paranormal and shit. It was just this backwoods dirty preacher type dude with some hillbillies wrecking shit.

I don’t mind the change. He needed it desperately. He also needs to not loose almost ever without a good reason desperately for this to work.

I just don’t care for the late 90’s metal version of his theme. For one, I’m not big into the late 90’s metal band scene, and two, it sounds like a metal version of a song on Apple Music you want to hear, but the official song isn’t on there due to rights issues, so you have settle for little Johnny’s garage band version of King Arthur & The Knights of Justice.