DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

Re: the Rock. He's 47 and is as big or bigger than Arnie was at age 30... When he won Mr Olympia... In his prime... On steroids.

I don't know how many gym bunnies we have here, but basically every actor/mma/wrestler is on something. 

I know tennis isn't the same, but they train with weights a lot too, and guys like Nadal, Murray, Federer, their bodies are unimpressive and achievable, they are also heavily tested, one of the only sports that seems to be.

12 minutes ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

Re: the Rock. He's 47 and is as big or bigger than Arnie was at age 30... When he won Mr Olympia... In his prime... On steroids.

I don't know how many gym bunnies we have here, but basically every actor/mma/wrestler is on something. 

I know tennis isn't the same, but they train with weights a lot too, and guys like Nadal, Murray, Federer, their bodies are unimpressive and achievable, they are also heavily tested, one of the only sports that seems to be.

I wouldn't say every MMA fighter is on something, but it is still an issue.  For the most part MMA fighters are some of the most natural looking athletes there are, because they're all trying to fight at the lowest weight possible.  I used to go to a decent amount of MMA events, and I've met a decent number of fighters.  You'd be surprised how many of them kind of project as frail, because you remember how ripped they look with their shirts off.  If you ran into someone who fought at 170 or below, you'd probably be really surprised about how much smaller they are than you expect.  Once you get to 185 and up though, those dudes look humongous.  

45 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I wouldn't say every MMA fighter is on something, but it is still an issue.  For the most part MMA fighters are some of the most natural looking athletes there are, because they're all trying to fight at the lowest weight possible.  I used to go to a decent amount of MMA events, and I've met a decent number of fighters.  You'd be surprised how many of them kind of project as frail, because you remember how ripped they look with their shirts off.  If you ran into someone who fought at 170 or below, you'd probably be really surprised about how much smaller they are than you expect.  Once you get to 185 and up though, those dudes look humongous.  

I dunno, Matt Hughes and GSP were champions at 170 and they're both intimidatingly large men. But the thing with MMA is, they almost all cut weight (and the ones who don't, do eventually) so a 170lb fighter is generally a 190lb+ man, at fighting weight. Between fights, some of them do the Ricky Hatton and get really big. The UFC does out of competition testing now, so no-one on their roster should be juicing intentionally (quite a lot get caught with stuff in their systems though, although tainted supplements are a huge issue for people trying to train clean).

Does the NFL test rigorously now, or is it one of those things like the original WWE 'wellness policy as PR exercise', where there's all these advance warnings and medical exceptions? Because some of those guys are in ridiculous looking shape. I wouldn't be surprised if the sport was full of juicers... although considering there's 32 teams with 53 players each, that's less than 1700 players total in the NFL. Drawn from a pool of over ten thousand college football players, who themselves were drawn from a pool of maybe a million high school players. The elite of the elite of the elite... possibly everyone in the league is in the top 1% of Natural Super Athletes in America. Except Ben Roethlisberger, he's rubbish.

3 hours ago, J.H. said:

With The Rock's daughter at the PC, and creative giving people stupid names, if they don't call her Pebbles Miavia then they are missing out!

James

They’ll call her The Rockette and give her a front kick for a finisher.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Re: WWE buying FITE

This is the full blurb from the WON

But okay - ALL PROMOTIONS ARE CLOSING!!! 

WWE invested in FloSports/FloSlam too, didn’t they? I remember people thinking that was a big game changer until it came out WWE owned a piece of them.

3 hours ago, Hamhock said:

They’ll call her The Rockette and give her a front kick for a finisher.

The thing is... I'm not kidding. I think Pebbles Miavia is a great name that's a license to print money with the right gimmick backing it

James

• Like 4

No, the rule in Wrestling is that if two people have the same name/ nickname/ phrase they have to feud over possession of it. Like Booker T and Ahmed Johnson fighting over ownership of the letter T, or Nathan Cruz beating Alex Shane for the nickname 'Showstealer'. And then not using it.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 1:23 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Being a backup QB isn't so bad if you are a pretty decent one.  You play a little bit,  look good and every fan thinks you're awesome and need to be playing.  But you don't,  you just collect checks and never get injured.  

I think the wrestling equivalent is a guy who saw some success in a super indy and now sits around in catering collecting checks and never has to wrestle.  People online say give him a chance but honestly..  some of these dudes wouldn't get too far even if they were given a chance. The best thing about it is WWE is paying them and will never release them now that AEW exists. 

Matt Cassel is my all time favorite NFL player because of exactly this.

Dude just keeps getting paid to learn play books and sit on the bench with no chance of getting a life changing head injury.

Same reason I'm more than happy for guys like Breeze, Dain etc to scale back and just work NXT or Main Event. No point doing 300 bumps a week if you can avoid it.

Mike Kanellis is #1 and the best for working the current WWE "SIGN EVERYONE" system to perfection.

• Like 2

I was thinking that Richie Steamboat was really good before he had to end his Career. He was working really well with Rollins and Ambrose in particular. Alot of these developmental guys especially alot of those 2nd Generation guys were very bland coming on to the main roster, Teddy Jr , Cody. Ray Gordy turned out to be really good before they released him,  but Richie was really good 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J.H. said:

The thing is... I'm not kidding. I think Pebbles Miavia is a great name that's a license to print money with the right gimmick backing it

James

If we are to believe Bruce Prichard(yeah, I know) Michael Hayes pushed Rock to actually name the kid Pebbles("Hey, you're the Rock, she should be Pebbles") and apparently calls her that to this day

9 hours ago, AxB said:

Easter Island looking dude.

Off topic and everything, but I have to say Tito's IMDB bio is the best because it looks like it hasn't been updated in almost two decades and the first sentence is absolutely ridiculous:

Cited by film producer Jeff Most as "The next Vin Diesel", Tito delivers the audience as well as the sheer acting talent. The most electrifying Ultimate Fighting competitor alive today, as intimidating as Tito is in the ring, outside he is an unparalleled fan favorite. A dynamic speaker, Tito's popularity with the fans made for a natural move into other media. He frequently appears on talk shows and in magazine articles and stars in the popular video game, "UFC: Tapout" on Xbox. Having made a cameo appearance in Jet Li's Cradle 2 the Grave (2003), Tito recently delivered a breakout performance with his first starring role, opposite Edward Furlong, David Boreanaz, and Dennis Hopper, in The Crow: Wicked Prayer (2005), scheduled for release in early 2005.

But life for "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy" wasn't always this good, and even as he soars to the top, Tito has never forgotten his roots. The child of two drug-addicted parents, in high school Tito chose wrestling over drugs and gangs, and excelled. He went on to compete at the college level and earned two consecutive titles as California State Wrestling Champion before making the shift to Ultimate Fighting...where he became the world champion less than two years after entering the sport.

Today, as he balances his time between fighting, acting, running his clothing line, "Punishment Athletics", and developing his new game for Xbox, Tito also regularly prioritizes working with inner city children; motivating kids to stay in school, to stay away from drugs and gangs, and to pursue their dreams, no matter what their current situation; and, through his foundation, Tito supports children's charity initiatives and raises money to establish better after-school athletic programs in neighborhoods like the one he came from.

8 hours ago, supremebve said:

The thing about the eye test is you have to look at someone like Big Baby Miller. He was a fat kickboxer. He was a fat heavyweight boxer. This dude went from a half decent K-1 kickboxer (in the twilight of the K-1 brand but you get the point) to okay fringe level boxer to almost getting a shot at three of the world heavyweight titles had he not flunked VADA testing for everything under the sun. Before Andy Ruiz ultimately replaced him, against my better judgement, I was thinking about picking Big Baby against Joshua because of how he looked in his last few fights. If he hadn't got caught, I would be thinking this dude (who progressively got fatter with less muscle definition) with hand speed and good defensive skills is the new normal for heavyweight boxing. However, knowing how hard he failed those tests while looking the way he does, we're getting into the complexity of performance enhancement in combat sports. Alexander Povetkin looks like he is on something and he failed a bunch of tests, but Tyson Fury who will never win Mr. Olympia ever also failed for PEDs. Dillian Whyte, another kickboxing convert to boxing who is a top level contender now, just failed for dianabol. Whyte is little bit more muscular than Jarrell Miller, but his physique is nothing amazing. If you had pick some names to fail for PEDs in boxing, Whyte, Big Baby, and Tyson Fury wouldn't be on your shortlist but they all failed. And I say all that to say when Margaret Goodman and VADA testing along with Victor Conte as like part fitness guru (through his SNAC program)/part reformed criminal turned PED watchdog were ushered into boxing about six or seven years ago, you would think boxing would be on it's way to being cleaned up especially with the way HBO promoted it to another level (VADA is better than USADA, it's the only real testing, etc. etc.). However, I feel like boxing PED's problem got worse somehow and MMA's status improved just a tad bit. Due to the politics in boxing, you now have fighters deciding which fight has testing, the testing conditions, when the samples can come back, and who can administer the tests. I would never call myself an expert on the subject matter, but I don't think that's how you clean up a sport. In addition, all the names I listed above are career heavyweights and never fought in another division. Besides Canelo and the Mexican tainted beef scandal, there hasn't been a bunch of high profiles fighters below heavyweight that have failed tests. We're talking about one division (admittedly it's a big one with guys well into their 50s still fighting) versus sixteen other divisions. With more testing than ever, how is that even possible? So I call bullshit.

As for MMA, we all know what the UFC has and hasn't accomplished since 2015. They're basically getting credit for being the only ones who sorta pledged themselves to making a half decent attempt. If you look at Bellator's effort to walk away from what some feel is their responsibility, it hasn't paid dividends to the point where someone who is the most hardcore MMA fan would say the product is improved with guys only taking commission administered drug tests. The thing is if Bellator tried replicate UFC's program, it would not affect them adversely in any real way. What stars are you protecting from stricter drug testing? You don't have a Brock Lesnar or Jon Jones. None of these people are difference makers if they flunk a drug test. That's why I don't get fans saying "man let these guys fight on all the steroids". First off, it's wrongly assuming that no one can beat USADA drug testing in the UFC. Second, how many fights outside the UFC with people who are probably on PEDs are legit fight of the year candidates? You get a ton of awesome KOs and submissions outside the UFC once the calendar year is up, but you're not seeing stuff that is head and shoulders above the UFC on a regular basis. Also, what are you saying if your favorite fighters can only compete on PEDs?

There is plenty the UFC could do to fix their program, but at the same time, the problem is always going to persist because all the other MMA promotions feel like they're risking something. Boxing at least has the built in excuse of being broken into many different warring factions that have their own unique motivations. 

7 hours ago, AxB said:

I dunno, Matt Hughes and GSP were champions at 170 and they're both intimidatingly large men. But the thing with MMA is, they almost all cut weight (and the ones who don't, do eventually) so a 170lb fighter is generally a 190lb+ man, at fighting weight. Between fights, some of them do the Ricky Hatton and get really big. The UFC does out of competition testing now, so no-one on their roster should be juicing intentionally (quite a lot get caught with stuff in their systems though, although tainted supplements are a huge issue for people trying to train clean).

Does the NFL test rigorously now, or is it one of those things like the original WWE 'wellness policy as PR exercise', where there's all these advance warnings and medical exceptions? Because some of those guys are in ridiculous looking shape. I wouldn't be surprised if the sport was full of juicers... although considering there's 32 teams with 53 players each, that's less than 1700 players total in the NFL. Drawn from a pool of over ten thousand college football players, who themselves were drawn from a pool of maybe a million high school players. The elite of the elite of the elite... possibly everyone in the league is in the top 1% of Natural Super Athletes in America. Except Ben Roethlisberger, he's rubbish.

I would say you both might be right on this. Hughes and GSP also competed in an era where welterweights weren't usually rehydrating to absurd levels because they weren't that tall or rangy with the ability to carry way more muscle mass. Rumble back when he was still at 170 was the exception to the rule. Plus, you had dudes training with Billy Rush back in the days where Miletich Fighting was on top with Joe Riggs was fighting at 170 and getting up to 215 on fight night somehow. People like that aren't at welterweight anymore. Now, a guy like Darren Till who is all of 6'0" or 6'1" would be smaller in terms of proportionality than guys who use to fight at 170 several years ago who were mostly below 5'9". If you catch them on the right day though, they would be light heavyweights.