DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

On the Rock/steroids thing...the big question isn't "is the Rock on steroids?" because he obviously is...but right now it destroys the wrestling question and opens up another problem: Quite frankly, EVERY actor in Hollywood juices, and the fact that steroids are a part of acting is that elephant in the room everyone politely agrees to ignore.

Seriously, even if you assume that wrestlers train their asses off and don't need the help, pictures of The Rock from WWE and right now don't change: it is not humanly possible for someone like Christian Bale to go from "The Machinist" to Batman Begins immediately after filming it unless you're on the juice.  And they need to juice for pretty much any movie- whether it's playing a superhero, playing an action star...heck, even just playing the really dreamy guy in the romantic comedy. Maybe they'll allow '...well, this is a WWII period drama about a person suffering in a concentration camp...MAYBE he shouldn't have a six-pack and forearms like AxB", but pretty much everything else, yeah they're on the gas.

And as far as the WWE buying FITE.TV thing... depending on the other things, wouldn't this be as likely to get TV for the smaller promotions and getting their contracts?

Edited by SorceressKnight
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SorceressKnight said:

On the Rock/steroids thing...the big question isn't "is the Rock on steroids?" because he obviously is...but right now it destroys the wrestling question and opens up another problem: Quite frankly, EVERY actor in Hollywood juices, and the fact that steroids are a part of acting is that elephant in the room everyone politely agrees to ignore.

Seriously, even if you assume that wrestlers train their asses off and don't need the help, pictures of The Rock from WWE and right now don't change: it is not humanly possible for someone like Christian Bale to go from "The Machinist" to Batman Begins immediately after filming it unless you're on the juice.  And they need to juice for pretty much any movie- whether it's playing a superhero, playing an action star...heck, even just playing the really dreamy guy in the romantic comedy. Maybe they'll allow '...well, this is a WWII period drama about a person suffering in a concentration camp...MAYBE he shouldn't have a six-pack and forearms like AxB", but pretty much everything else, yeah they're on the gas.

This is one of those things that no one ever talks about, but is also one of the more obvious things in the world.  Matter of fact, think about who actors were as teenagers, and you'll quickly realize how unnatural these perfect pecs and washboard abs are on most of them.  Did your school have a theater class?  Was it full of amazingly fit, beautiful people?  Or was it full of scrawny, awkward kids without an athletic bone in their body?  Now think about how many of the athletic kids in your school actually had pecs and abs when they were teenagers who were actually producing Human Growth Hormone.  I played football, and it was mandatory for us to go to the weight room a certian number of times during the offseason, and I think we had one dude on the entire team with a six pack.  On a team of big ass, in shape, fitness obsessed kids, I remember one six pack and it is because that kid was doing everything in his power to have a six pack.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Vince looking to buy Fite is right out of his playbook, so it's not surprising. The thing is, that playbook is so out of date now. He's likely doing this to hurt AEW, but they have other streaming avenues available so purchasing Fite is only going to hurt other indy promotions instead of the company he wants to impair.

That's the part that sucks. Not one person should shed a tear for AEW because they'll be fine when it comes to streaming, but it could really hurt other promotions.

"THIS'LL SHOW THOSE BASTARDS IN ATLANTA! God damn Ted Turner trying to put me out of business again!"

39 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

And as far as the WWE buying FITE.TV thing... depending on the other things, wouldn't this be as likely to get TV for the smaller promotions and getting their contracts?

Heck, Christian Bale actually got TOO big after The Machinist. I read a story that while he was bulking up for Batman, he got too big to fit in the suit and had to drop 10-15lbs.

• Like 2

Just now, cwoy2j said:

Heck, Christian Bale actually got TOO big after The Machinist. I read a story that while he was bulking up for Batman, he got too big to fit in the suit and had to drop 10-15lbs.

Correct. I remember that story, crew on Batman Begins teased Christian Bale as Fatman. 

The reason why Bale seems so angry whenever he's in the suit in Begins was because they measured his head for the helmet before he'd finished bulking up. And when you gain muscle mass, sometimes your head gets bigger (expansion of the jaw muscles and so on; Especially pronounced with how bony Bale was in Machinist). So the helmet was squeezing his brains in, giving him a massive headache and making him growl all of his lines like a really pissed off people would be.

6 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Maybe Christian Bale was just angry because he’s an ill-tempered prick. 

You can take the man out of Wales. You can't take Wales out of the man.

• Haha 3

I'm all in for "forearms like AxB" to join the pantheon of ways we rate wrestlers, e.g. good punches, missle dropkicks and facials.

Edited by nate
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, AxB said:

The reason why Bale seems so angry whenever he's in the suit in Begins was because they measured his head for the helmet before he'd finished bulking up. And when you gain muscle mass, sometimes your head gets bigger (expansion of the jaw muscles and so on; Especially pronounced with how bony Bale was in Machinist). So the helmet was squeezing his brains in, giving him a massive headache and making him growl all of his lines like a really pissed off people would be.

It's actually very rare for someone's head to grow as an adult.  That is the biggest evidence of Barry Bonds' steroid use, his hat size changed meaning his skull grew.  If anything your jawline should thin from getting in better shape, but getting that cro-magnon head growth is a pretty solid sign of steroid use.  

I want WWE to buy FITE, and keep all those indy feds streaming. Why not? In fact, I would like it if VKM makes them all his project, and visits their shows like Odin would, dressed like a beggar, and (if the card was good) he would drop $2000 at the merch tables. That would keep these plucky sprouts going. This is entirely possible.

- RAF

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

This is one of those things that no one ever talks about, but is also one of the more obvious things in the world.  Matter of fact, think about who actors were as teenagers, and you'll quickly realize how unnatural these perfect pecs and washboard abs are on most of them.  Did your school have a theater class?  Was it full of amazingly fit, beautiful people?  Or was it full of scrawny, awkward kids without an athletic bone in their body?  Now think about how many of the athletic kids in your school actually had pecs and abs when they were teenagers who were actually producing Human Growth Hormone.  I played football, and it was mandatory for us to go to the weight room a certian number of times during the offseason, and I think we had one dude on the entire team with a six pack.  On a team of big ass, in shape, fitness obsessed kids, I remember one six pack and it is because that kid was doing everything in his power to have a six pack.  

Richard Madden, the actor who played Rob Stark, talked about this exact thing earlier this year right down from being a pudgy guy in school to now having to be toned and buff - https://www.vogue.co.uk/article/richard-madden-james-bond

“We’re projecting a very unrealistic body image. I find myself with actor friends – after we’ve done a kind of barely eating, working-out-twice-a-day, no-carbing thing for these scenes – looking at each other going: ‘We’re just feeding this same shit that we’re against.’” But that’s what they’re told to do, he says. “I’ve done numerous jobs where you’re told to lose weight and get to the gym.” He’s had his fat rolls pinched. He’s been given costumes so restrictive they feel like a corset – he mimes sucking in his tummy and not being able to breathe. “It doesn’t just happen to women, it happens to men all the time as well.”

12 minutes ago, supremebve said:

It's actually very rare for someone's head to grow as an adult.  That is the biggest evidence of Barry Bonds' steroid use, his hat size changed meaning his skull grew.  If anything your jawline should thin from getting in better shape, but getting that cro-magnon head growth is a pretty solid sign of steroid use.  

I was amazed at the difference in the Undertaker's cranial change as I was watching a recent DVD set covering his 20-0 Mania streak.  In one setting, it was jarring to say the least.

2 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I want WWE to buy FITE, and keep all those indy feds streaming. Why not? In fact, I would like it if VKM makes them all his project, and visits their shows like Odin would, dressed like a beggar, and (if the card was good) he would drop $2000 at the merch tables. That would keep these plucky sprouts going. This is entirely possible.

- RAF

I like this and find it awesome and hilarious at the same time.  Like when Cena and Vince showed up to Cena Sr's fed.

18 minutes ago, supremebve said:

That's the difference between IVC bareknuckle vale tudo Wanderlei Silva (97/98) and the Wanderlei Silva that showed up in the UFC to fight Chuck Liddell in 2007 with the giant cranium. 

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That's the difference between IVC bareknuckle vale tudo Wanderlei Silva (97/98) and the Wanderlei Silva that showed up in the UFC to fight Chuck Liddell in 2007 with the giant cranium. 

That brow ridge got to be so bad it needed to be shaved down.  He looks so strange now.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Morganti said:

I like this and find it awesome and hilarious at the same time.  Like when Cena and Vince showed up to Cena Sr's fed.

*edit to add* that is a much skinnier Brian Milonas by the way. 

Edited by BrianS81177