DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

37 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I like Moose, but come on. Mojo's in a better position right now than a guy who's parked in Impact's upper midcard. 

Is Mojo just by being employed by the biggest company, but not used outside of Main Event and chasing whomever the 24/7 champion is?

If I'm a wrestler and enjoy putting on matches that get time, tell a story, and get people invested, then WWE seems pretty soul crushing. 

Would you rather be Tom Brady's backup and win championships, but never play or go to a team where you'll play, maybe make a difference, but winning isn't a sure thing?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Being on TV and winning matches?

So you're expecting the article to kayfabe us?

How much money does Moose make vs. the WWE guys? How many people watch Impact vs. NXT? There's a little more to it than that. Neither ESPN nor their readers are approaching the article from the perspective of "yeah, but how many titles has he won?" Only wrestling fans care about that. 

30 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is Mojo just by being employed by the biggest company, but not used outside of Main Event and chasing whomever the 24/7 champion is?

If I'm a wrestler and enjoy putting on matches that get time, tell a story, and get people invested, then WWE seems pretty soul crushing. 

Would you rather be Tom Brady's backup and win championships, but never play or go to a team where you'll play, maybe make a difference, but winning isn't a sure thing?

The people who are expected to contribute something to a team aren't career long backups for Brady for very long. They're there for one or two seasons maybe three seasons max. The quarterbacks who likely might be busts would love to be Brady's backup especially if he plays all sixteen games. So in this analogy, the people who know they can actually do better despite shitty booking are trying to their best to get fired so they can get a shot somewhere else. The Pats aren't holding anyone prisoner like WWE is. The guys on the team who are generally unhappy are usually gone the very next season or ASAP.

• Like 1

On Austin's podcast, Hogan claimed he wanted to attack Warrior post-match at WM VI and then rechristen himself as "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan. In 1990. Naturally he insists he would've put Warrior over in the ensuing feud, thus saving Warrior's ill-fated title reign. This is a brand new whopper Hogan pulled out of his ass, isn't it? Oh yeah, he would've referred to himself as Triple H too.  That Terry Bollea, what a clever, creative genius of a  man. I'm starting to think the New Breed really were time travelers and the immortal Hulk Hogan was the Rufus to their Bill & Ted.

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I like Moose, but come on. Mojo's in a better position right now than a guy who's parked in Impact's upper midcard. 

Firstly, I said Tino not Mojo. Secondly, Moose headlined an international PPV in a World Title match. Sabatelli doesn't even have a profile on cagematch. His major contribution to televised wrestling is appearing on Breaking Ground, where he got demoted from the advanced class to the beginner's group.

If you dream of being a wrestler, you dream of being a star. Of having crowds of people chanting your name. Moose has done that, and continues to do that. Mojo gets to hold a roster space because he's friends with a famous. Tino gets to train for a job he'll never do. What incredible fulfilment he must feel.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AxB said:

Firstly, I said Tino not Mojo. Secondly, Moose headlined an international PPV in a World Title match. Sabatelli doesn't even have a profile on cagematch. His major contribution to televised wrestling is appearing on Breaking Ground, where he got demoted from the advanced class to the beginner's group.

If you dream of being a wrestler, you dream of being a star. Of having crowds of people chanting your name. Moose has done that, and continues to do that. Mojo gets to hold a roster space because he's friends with a famous. Tino gets to train for a job he'll never do. What incredible fulfilment he must feel.

Counterpoint: I doubt either of those guys is in a spot where you might be tempted to take up a part-time gig at a Sunglass Hut. 

1 minute ago, AxB said:

Kevin Nash read this post and chuckled to himself. Then he drank a whole bottle of red wine, tripped over his carpet, and tore a quad. 

47 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

On Austin's podcast, Hogan claimed he wanted to attack Warrior post-match at WM VI and then rechristen himself as "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan. In 1990. Naturally he insists he would've put Warrior over in the ensuing feud, thus saving Warrior's ill-fated title reign. This is a brand new whopper Hogan pulled out of his ass, isn't it? Oh yeah, he would've referred to himself as Triple H too.  That Terry Bollea, what a clever, creative genius of a  man. I'm starting to think the New Breed really were time travelers and the immortal Hulk Hogan was the Rufus to their Bill & Ted.

Ah, the rantings of an out-of-touch old racist who covers for his dim realization that he's got holes in his legacy and is not at his peak level of popularity anymore by making up fanciful stories that show just how much of a visionary he actually is. 

Well, he can travel through time by flying around the world, like Superman in that movie. 500 days in 1985 and all that.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Ah, the rantings of an out-of-touch old racist who covers for his dim realization that he's got holes in his legacy and is not at his peak level of popularity anymore by making up fanciful stories that show just how much of a visionary he actually is. 

...are we talking about Bill Watts?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

...are we talking about Bill Watts?

It's the wrestling business, so we could be talking about a lot of dudes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FluffSnackwell said:

On Austin's podcast, Hogan claimed he wanted to attack Warrior post-match at WM VI and then rechristen himself as "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan. In 1990. Naturally he insists he would've put Warrior over in the ensuing feud, thus saving Warrior's ill-fated title reign. This is a brand new whopper Hogan pulled out of his ass, isn't it? 

Not that the story needs to be rationally debunked, but Hogan was taking time off to make Suburban Commando and Vince thought Warrior was the next big thing hence the title change.  Hogan turning heel immediately and then vanishing until SummerSlam (which is what he did with the Earthquake angle) makes ZERO sense.   And Hogan vanishing for three months and then losing on his return was NOT happening.

The only defense I have for his story was a potential turn by somebody at Survivor Series 90 where Hogan and Warrior were the last men standing at the end and it looked like SOMETHING might be about to go down...and then they just hugged.  Because Warrior's reign was DOA by Thanksgiving, mostly thanks to the Hogan/Earthquake feud drawing a ton more than anything Warrior did.

2 hours ago, BEN! said:

Koko B. Ware being people's low bar to entry for the WWE HOF has always been completely ridiculous considering he went in with a class that included Chris Von Erich.  James Dudley was in the second induction class.  Johnny Rodz went in before Koko Ware.  Koko B. Ware sang the title track to a wrestling album when that sort of thing was important to the WWF.  That alone puts him several levels above a lot of guys that went in before and after him.

Also, the answer to best non-hoss squash match worker is Koko B. Ware.

There's a lot going on there. I guess I do count those first classes a little differently. 

Chris Von Erich's just in with his family. 

You're right, but I do think it's different.

1 hour ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Hogan also had the idea for the nWo while auditioning for Metallica and actually wrote Ministry's "N.W.O.".

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Well, he can travel through time by flying around the world, like Superman in that movie. 500 days in 1985 and all that.

Hogan also created that computer virus from Superman 3 and Office Space. 

I like coming home from work being deliriously tired and loopy. I come up with some good material that way.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 3

Apparently, proof needs to be presented regarding the Awesomeness of Martel and Tony Mother Fucking Garea. Here's Garea and  Martel teaming with Pat Patterson vs. The Moondogs And Captain Lou Albano in Madison Square Garden, tearing the house down.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 2

Being a backup QB isn't so bad if you are a pretty decent one.  You play a little bit,  look good and every fan thinks you're awesome and need to be playing.  But you don't,  you just collect checks and never get injured.  

I think the wrestling equivalent is a guy who saw some success in a super indy and now sits around in catering collecting checks and never has to wrestle.  People online say give him a chance but honestly..  some of these dudes wouldn't get too far even if they were given a chance. The best thing about it is WWE is paying them and will never release them now that AEW exists. 

33 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Being a backup QB isn't so bad if you are a pretty decent one.  You play a little bit,  look good and every fan thinks you're awesome and need to be playing.  But you don't,  you just collect checks and never get injured.  

I think the wrestling equivalent is a guy who saw some success in a super indy and now sits around in catering collecting checks and never has to wrestle.  People online say give him a chance but honestly..  some of these dudes wouldn't get too far even if they were given a chance. The best thing about it is WWE is paying them and will never release them now that AEW exists. 

You had EC3 in mind while writing that, didn't you? That seems very specific to EC3.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

James Dudley was the first black man to promote in a major arena, so he's not as out of place as everyone thinks he is.

Vince, Sr. was the promoter.  The WWE story is he worked his way up to manager of Turner's Arena.  The sole source of that seems to be the WWE video package of him running around with a towel.  I don't question his importance to Vince, Sr. as a loyal employee or his inclusion in the WWE HOF but there's no need to trump up some accolades to justify his inclusion since it's a HOF with no standards at all other than the whims of one mad man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BEN! said:

Vince, Sr. was the promoter.  The WWE story is he worked his way up to manager of Turner's Arena...

but there's no need to trump up some accolades to justify his inclusion since it's a HOF with no standards at all other than the whims of one mad man.

Dave Meltzer? Sorry, wrong HOF.