DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

12 minutes ago, AxB said:

If FSW was still here, I'm sure he'd have said something about how Rick Martel sucked and wasn't as good as Ryback.

He's not the only person who would have done that...

Well let’s be honest, doesn’t Ryback have a little something over Martel when it comes to being both a moderately successful heel, and face in the WWE/F? Martel fans can’t believe that Rick was over as a face as Ryback was in the WWE, can they? So you could realistically form a debate for Ryback.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Kassius Ohno/Chris Hero was doing a little AMA on Twitter last night - so if you are into things like this you might want to check out his account

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nate said:

Koko called his finisher the Ghostbuster.

#HOF

I thought it was originally the Birdbuster, but then Gorilla accidentally called it the Ghostbuster, and then that was the name going forward.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gorman said:

I thought it was originally the Birdbuster, but then Gorilla accidentally called it the Ghostbuster, and then that was the name going forward.

Both sound like a euphemism for disrupting male ejaculation.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

ESPN.com has an article up today that is basically an ad for the WWE (well most of their coverage is an ad for the WWE) that is basically how all football players should convert to wrestlers. Jim Ross approves

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27294950/when-your-nfl-career-try-pro-wrestling

(Story is half about Mojo Rawley - so obviously there is a bunch of Gronk talk)

• Like 1

ESPN has no more journalistic integrity anymore. Dan Lebatard’s recent rant against his own company basically was the nail in the coffin for that facade. They are living off past reputation at this point, in the way they used to run their newsroom in the 90’s, and maybe a few years ago. Corporate America has disrupted basic criticism that the public justifiably had over them in recent times. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

ESPN has no more journalistic integrity anymore. Dan Lebatard’s recent rant against his own company basically was the nail in the coffin for that facade. They are living off past reputation at this point, in the way they used to run their newsroom in the 90’s, and maybe a few years ago. Corporate America has disrupted basic criticism that the public justifiably had over them in recent times. 

ESPN is in the trickiest of spots.  They are a journalism company that pays billions of dollars to the people they cover.  So they have to try to navigate between trying to have journalist integrity while keeping good relationships with their billion dollar partners.  So, Bill Simmons yells, "Roger Goodell is a liar," after he clearly lied and gets fired for it.  They are letting it be known that their relationships with the leagues are more important than speaking truth to power, like a journalistic enterprise.  The crazy thing is that they seem to hire all the talented journalists and then get mad when it turns out they are talented journalists.

• Like 3

Your daily reminder that Stokely Hathaway is a fucking national treasure.

He reminds me so much of Donnell Rawlings, except Stokely might be even funnier. If wrestling doesn't work out then I hope he has an agent with a half a brain because the dude should be a tv or movie star or a stand up comedian at the very least.

EDIT: Sorry, it's now officially Malcolm Bivens until it changes again in a week or two. Cardigan Lamborghini was the dopest of his names I think.

Edited by Craig H

36 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

lol anymore?! Where have you been the last 10 to 15 years?

If you want to know what kind of cesspool ESPN is then read "These Guys Have All the Fun."

And when you're done with that, read "Live From New York," which is even better.

My god...Can you imagine the book James A. Miller and Tom Shales could put together about WWE? 

• Like 2

On 8/6/2019 at 8:40 AM, Web Conn said:

Piper and MArtel were a babyface team in Portland in the early 80's

Any attempt to use Piper as a heel in Portland was foredoomed to failure. the fans weren't having it. Portland/Seattle fans knew what they wanted and Don Owen was a smart enough promoter to read the rooms and respond accordingly, such as turning Playboy Buddy Rose at just the right time. The big takeaway with Don Owen was the speed with which he acted to accommodate the fans; something that a certain gentleman whose initials are VKM ought to try instead of shoving his pet projects down our throats.

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Your daily reminder that Stokely Hathaway is a fucking national treasure.

He reminds me so much of Donnell Rawlings, except Stokely might be even funnier. If wrestling doesn't work out then I hope he has an agent with a half a brain because the dude should be a tv or movie star or a stand up comedian at the very least.

EDIT: Sorry, it's now officially Malcolm Bivens until it changes again in a week or two. Cardigan Lamborghini was the dopest of his names I think.

Lucha Vandross was the winner for me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Austin Aries' running out of places to work with the bridges he's burned.

But roided-up dwarves with bad attitudes are in demand everywhere! Just ask Sami Callihan, oh...wait...

8 hours ago, Gorman said:

8 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Both sound like a euphemism for disrupting male ejaculation.

Especially Birdbuster. How is a Wrestling fan supposed to let the pigeons loose if all the Birds are busted?

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

ESPN.com has an article up today that is basically an ad for the WWE (well most of their coverage is an ad for the WWE) that is basically how all football players should convert to wrestlers. Jim Ross approves

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27294950/when-your-nfl-career-try-pro-wrestling

(Story is half about Mojo Rawley - so obviously there is a bunch of Gronk talk)

How do you write a story about ex-NFL players finding success in Pro-Wrestling, and decide Tino Sabatelli is a better example than Moose? Mojo Rawley is at the stage of his WWE career where they cut him after the last Wrestlemania, only it's 2019 and you can't send anyone to the opposition.

5 hours ago, OSJ said:

But roided-up dwarves with bad attitudes are in demand everywhere! Just ask Sami Callihan, oh...wait...

Steroids aren't Vegan, John. Actually, fairly decent chance Aries was never on the gas. If we accept the proposition that Lance Storm is the best built athlete this side of a negative steroid test, Aries is leaner than that. Also, his lack of height creates a bulk illusion in his arms & legs. Callihan doesn't seem gassed to me either. He's gained weight lately, but not really muscle mass specifically. Might just be that he's sharing mealtimes with Jessica Havok nowadays, and she's a big Woman.

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

How do you write a story about ex-NFL players finding success in Pro-Wrestling, and decide Tino Sabatelli is a better example than Moose?

I'm guessing it depends on how one defines "success" in the wrestling business. How are you defining it?

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 1:41 PM, Matt D said:

Sure, you can do whatever you want. Honestly, Koko getting in changed the criteria in and of itself. Once you put Koko in any "federation era" guy or even Attitude Era guy deserves to get in. If Koko gets in, of COURSE, Beefcake gets in. If Koko gets in Martel should get in. Koko never had as much success as that Battle Royal tie, let alone being tag champs. Remember, Koko was the guy they had Martel go over in a blindfold match on the way to Jake at Mania. Etc. 

Once Koko gets in on just his WWF merits, you start thinking about just where the bar is. I actually think Bushwhackers are potentially a stronger case than Koko. They had more angles (Breaking the R&B album, getting turned on to create the Natural Disasters, the mixed tag with Jamison/Genius). 

Koko B. Ware being people's low bar to entry for the WWE HOF has always been completely ridiculous considering he went in with a class that included Chris Von Erich.  James Dudley was in the second induction class.  Johnny Rodz went in before Koko Ware.  Koko B. Ware sang the title track to a wrestling album when that sort of thing was important to the WWF.  That alone puts him several levels above a lot of guys that went in before and after him.

Also, the answer to best non-hoss squash match worker is Koko B. Ware.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Gorman said:

Birdbuster sounds like something someone who dislikes birds would do, which doesn't really go with Koko being "The Birdman" and having a parrot. Ghostbuster sounds like a move dropping white guys on their head. Ghostbuster > Birdbuster

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1