DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

41 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

I’m curious why on that AJ Summit card it was Jumbo and Haku as a team?

Im willing to bet it was pushed in the buildup as former AWA World Champions (Jumbo, Hennig, Martel)...but what’s the Haku connection?

He's Haku. It's whatever connection he wants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I wish I had something to interject about these 1998 WCW posts, but I don't, because I was 9 years old and really only watching WWF because I thought Sable was hot and that The Undertaker/Kane stuff was awesome.

• Like 1

It would have been interesting if Martel went back to the WWF w/ Don Callis in 1997, as "The Supermodels". Callis said on Talk is Jericho that all the intro vignettes had been filmed, but then Martel got an offer he couldn't refuse from WCW, and they didn't really want Callis. Callis said he didn't really want to go to WCW. The team was eventually going to split with Don Casablancas turning on Martel, and Martel becoming a babyface again. Next to Sandra Toffoloni, I think Callis on TiJ is one of the greatest podcast episodes.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Thanks 1

I enjoyed the Perfect-Flair Loser Leaves Town match a lot at one point, but it's been a looooong time since I've seen it. Perfect-era Hennig essentially got me into wrestling, so I'm probably biased.

I remember Stevie Ray catching a whole lot of shit for Martel's career-ending injury at the time. The IWC turned on him, even through the hilarious nWo B-Team stuff, until he started doing commentary.

Edited by MORELOCK
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It would have been interesting if Martel went to back to the WWF w/ Don Callis in 1997, as "The Supermodels". Callis said on Talk is Jericho that all the intro vignettes had been filmed, but then Martel got an offer he couldn't refuse from WCW, and they didn't really want Callis. Callis said he didn't really want to go to WCW. The team was eventually going to split with Don Casablancas turning on Martel, and Martel becoming a babyface again. Next to Sandra Toffoloni, I think Callis on TiJ is one of the greatest podcast episodes.

Was Callis any good in the ring?

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Just popping in to say that supposedly Vince freaked out again and has blown up the Smackdown show hours before airs

Carry on

I seriously wonder how long it'll be before Bischoff resigns and they give Smackdown to...   

I don't know, Sapolsky?  I guess?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I seriously wonder how long it'll be before Bischoff resigns and they give Smackdown to...   

I was thinking, is Vince doing this cuz its Bischoff and there's still some bad blood are maybe animosity is the right word between Vince and Bisch on Vinces end, cuz you don't hear about Vince micromanaging Heyman like he is Bischoff.

7 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

That would be interesting, Gabe booking for a financially stable company.

33 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Callis vs Martel

From what I've seen (including this), Callis was an above-average Canadian indy worker but a great talker (obviously) and has a good mind for the business. He's incredible at getting heat because he's so damn smarmy. Hearing babyface Callis do colour commentary for Impact is so weird after hearing him as a manager in WWE or as a TNN stooge way back in ECW.

53 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Was Callis any good in the ring?

He wasn't bad, in that stalling regional heel way. Most of his career he was doing a Flair gimmick and he wasn't always...ahem...natural at doing the act. Like when he would beg off or do a flop it looks like he was doing it because he thought he should, not so much because the character would do it. I'm struggling to think of a comp, but you generally would not think his matches were bad, but you probably wouldn't remember them later.

There's not much of The Natural on youtube, but this match against Lance Storm is a pretty decent example. As is the cage match against Martel Odessa posted.

At 4:45 he does a roll under a leap frog into a crescent kick. Probably too flashy for the character, but a cool little moment.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 7:35 PM, supremebve said:

Every time I watch a Bob Orton match, I'm amazed he was never World Champion.  He's great in the ring, and one of the most fun, but unlikable heels of all time.  If I had to choose between watching a DVD set of just random Bob Orton matches or The 10 best Randy Orton matches...I'll take Bob's every day of the week.  He's just more interesting to watch in every single way.

First, let me get this out of the way: While not on the level of his dad, a motivated Randy Orton can be lots of fun to watch. Sadly, it seems the more time goes by, the less motivated he becomes. Now let's talk about the Ace, Cowboy Bob Orton, basically played Arn to Piper's Flair. In a way it's too bad that he settled so easily into that role as he was capable of much more. I recall watching a TV match against Hogan, IIRC it was a Saturday Main Event and  I almost convinced myself that Orton was going to get a  short run with the strap. It made so much sense from a booking  standpoint, Hogan had spent the last year or so  beating the "Monster of the Month", but here was a guy who was smaller and clearly the better technical wrestler who certainly wasn't afraid to bend the rules when Hogan got cute with his back-rake , "accidental" eye-poke and similar antics. Sadly, Orton lost and it goes down as a missed opportunity.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Bischoff best hope that his coffee-making skills are  still up to snuff.

• Like 1

For a great bio on RMartel with lots of input from the man himself, check out "The Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame: The Canadians" by Greg Oliver (all of his books are mandatory reading, history-wise). There is a lot of background on the influence his brother had on his career and his desire to turn heel. Highly recommended.

- RAF

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Is Bischoff actually  running SDL now? I ask because I remember talk that he actually needed to take time to  catch up so I can see him not really doing much until say September.

8 hours ago, The Great ML said:

I’m curious why on that AJ Summit card it was Jumbo and Haku as a team?

Im willing to bet it was pushed in the buildup as former AWA World Champions (Jumbo, Hennig, Martel)...but what’s the Haku connection?

He was with AJPW around the same time Jumbo was out for seasoning so maybe they were both on excursions and were pals? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Is Bischoff actually  running SDL now? I ask because I remember talk that he actually needed to take time to  catch up so I can see him not really doing much until say September.

He's there, but nothing he's suggested creative wise has been used yet. It's said he's still getting used to everything. Plus even if he was running Smackdown, the show has been completely tore up hours before air time two weeks in a row now

3 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

He was with AJPW around the same time Jumbo was out for seasoning so maybe they were both on excursions and were pals? 

They both were in Amarillo, but not sure if it was at the same time. 

If FSW was still here, I'm sure he'd have said something about how Rick Martel sucked and wasn't as good as Ryback.