DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

8 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I’m curious if anyone but me has had big changes on how they viewed some old workers via footage for recently released. For instance I went from thinking Buzz Sawyer was kinda cool to thinking Buzz Sawyer was fucking amazing and the only reason he isn’t held up as a legend is because he was apparently a dick.

Good question. 

Buzz is Buzz, but Bart had some really great performances in that released Georgia footage that came as a surprise.

I probably undervalued Precious. She was a great pre-match heatseeker daring the babyfaces to go after her.

I'm sitting on this Terry Funk/Hara vs Baron+Krupp handheld and Krupp took the deepest hip tosses from Hara. Crazy stuff. While the Baron had good shtick, especially against Funk, Krupp stood out more in comparison than I'm used to.

There's the State Patrol vs Can-Ams tag we posted. Have you guys seen that? That made me wish we had a long State Patrol In Japan run.

2 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I’m curious if anyone but me has had big changes on how they viewed some old workers via footage for recently released. For instance I went from thinking Buzz Sawyer was kinda cool to thinking Buzz Sawyer was fucking amazing and the only reason he isn’t held up as a legend is because he was apparently a dick.

Every time I watch a Bob Orton match, I'm amazed he was never World Champion.  He's great in the ring, and one of the most fun, but unlikable heels of all time.  If I had to choose between watching a DVD set of just random Bob Orton matches or The 10 best Randy Orton matches...I'll take Bob's every day of the week.  He's just more interesting to watch in every single way.

• Like 1

I'll always remember the line some wag had online after Randy Orton debuted. WWE were hyping up the third generation thing and in the video package, grandpa Orton said "He's got the looks of George Clooney combined with the wrestling ability of his father" to which some guy posted "more like the looks of his father and the wrestling ability of George Clooney"

• Haha 2

Years and years ago I watched a bunch of AWA. I had the concept of Greg Gagne as the overpushed promoter's son in a stupid Rambo outfit that was popular at the time. Then, I saw a bunch of the High Flyers, and Gagne was at worst a very good tag worker. 

Actually, watching AWA also led me to understanding why Rick Martel was so good, along with re-visiting his mini-career revival in late-stage WCW. 

• Like 4

Best babyface fire I've ever seen was Martel in Portland. If I were starting a promotion in that era he's my guy. Those matches with Harley and Rose are just about the best form of North American wrestling I've ever seen. Love Martel to bits. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

I'm sitting on this Terry Funk/Hara vs Baron+Krupp handheld and Krupp took the deepest hip tosses from Hara. Crazy stuff. While the Baron had good shtick, especially against Funk, Krupp stood out more in comparison than I'm used to.

Ooooh, I want to see that.

- RAF

8 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Hell, that's why I'd at least say Kairi Sane has more of a chance to succeed than Asuka or Io Shirai do- simply because Kairi Sane has proven she can lose and fans won't get butthurt any time she loses, 

I don't think that's what's going on.  Asuka is the most talented in-ring performer in the women's division (she was and still is over to a degree) and they have her doing nothing. If WWE wants the women's divisions to lack wrestling I think that's more of an issue with creative than anything to do with Asuka and fans of Asuka. 

Glad to see my question turned into a Rick Martel love fest. He’s on my “complete shame people mainly just think of him for his WWF run” list with Piper, Rose, DiBiase, Hennig Taylor, and Eadie. (Bigger list then I expected). I’m doing a booking project thing based in 1984 and got Rick Martel, and was willing to move Stan Hansen to do because I thought he could be a legitimate top babyface for me and as much as I love Hansen I couldn’t see him playing the role. I could plug Martel against any of my big heels (Race, Patera, Blackwell, The Andersons, Mr. Saito), give them 20 plus and expect a molten crowd cause that’s what Martel does.

8 hours ago, Matt D said:

Good question. 

Buzz is Buzz, but Bart had some really great performances in that released Georgia footage that came as a surprise.

I probably undervalued Precious. She was a great pre-match heatseeker daring the babyfaces to go after her.

There's the State Patrol vs Can-Ams tag we posted. Have you guys seen that? That made me wish we had a long State Patrol In Japan run.

By Bart do you mean Bret? Cause yeah, for a guy who was never pushed super heavy in any other territory that didn’t suck, I came away pretty damned impressed in his match against Jake Roberts especially. Him and Buzz as a babyface tag team probably had a lot more potential then it ended up getting.

8 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I said in the Harley Race topic how the term 'legend' gets overused and this would be one example. I loooove Buzz Sawyer, his execution, his aura... he's the prototype for Taz in many respects of just being this sawed-off shotgun beast. But is he a legend? No. He had a great run in Georgia for four years or so but that's about it, his demons and poor rep got the better of him. It's okay to just enjoy someones work without blowing their mystique up.

As an aside, one of my favourite facts is that Sawyer lost in the semi-finals of the high school wrestling nationals to Dan Severn.

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Best babyface fire I've ever seen was Martel in Portland. If I were starting a promotion in that era he's my guy. Those matches with Harley and Rose are just about the best form of North American wrestling I've ever seen. Love Martel to bits. 

I've only seen clipped footage of his Portland stuff unfortunately, but I remember the folks at Kayfabe Memories raving about his run there.

• Like 1

Blindfold match is an example of something that the crowd lost their shit for that could never, ever take place today. Heel vs. Heel Shawn-Martel at Summerslam 92 is endlessly enjoyable. Nothing to be ashamed about.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Godfrey said:

I contend this because A) Asuka's winning streak was part of her persona but she had far more of an aura beyond the streak than Goldberg or Ryback ever did and B) I don't think fans got "butthurt" because Asuka lost, they were mad because after that loss she was booked like garbage.

There was no reason for Asuka to fail to win the title from Carmella. Carmella has basically transitioned from an in-ring performer to a weekly comedy skit actor/sidekick and nobody seems to miss Carmella wrestling on a regular basis. Asuka and Kairi shouldn't have to be able to cut long-winded promos. That's the heel's job to show how cocky they are by doing all the shit talking in the lead-up to the match, and it makes the payoff that much sweeter when they get their words kicked back down their throat. How sweet would it be to see Stone Cold Becky talk all that trash prior to another match against Asuka only to lose again? If creative knew their ass from a hole in the ground, they could really milk the long-term story of Asuka having the secret sauce to defeat Becky. 

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Like 1

I am a very big fan of Rick Martel as a babyface. 

That said, if you want to make wrestling fans who generally know their shit struggle, ask them what the best Model Rick Martel match is.

The Bret house show matches are crummy. The Tito feud somehow managed to film very few singles matches (sometimes that happened just by the luck of the loops, especially after Philly/Toronto/Boston stopped filming). 

People usually grumble and settle on WMVII's blindfold match for its novelty and how they worked the crowd. 

The most interesting novelty, to me, is this:

(Hennig in WWF is its own issue).

My favorite heel Martel match?

• Like 1