DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

3 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

The Doink clips got me wondering, who is the best non-hoss squash match wrestler? 

I’d give a vote to Kevin Sullivan, I think. His Nitro/WCWSN squashes were usually good for 2 minutes of total carnage.

The midnight's? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

The Doink clips got me wondering, who is the best non-hoss squash match wrestler? 

I’d give a vote to Kevin Sullivan, I think. His Nitro/WCWSN squashes were usually good for 2 minutes of total carnage.

The midnight's? 

Probably not, but then when you consider who Cain beat to win the UFC Heavyweight title... Vince would go banana.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxB said:

Probably not, but then when you consider who Cain beat to win the UFC Heavyweight title... Vince would go banana.

When you consider that, it would be right in Cody's wheelhouse.

7 minutes ago, Raziel said:

When you consider that, it would be right in Cody's wheelhouse.

I'm torn. It seems like such a TNA move to hype Velasquez every week as THE MAN WHO BEAT BROCK LESNAR FOR THE HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE but man, he looked great out there. I've already seen he and HHH interact on Twitter about a Brock match. Maybe there will be a minor bidding war. 

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Well his nickname was “The Belfast Brawler”, but hmmmm... I guess you could classify him, and guys like him(Benoit, Dean Malenko, Taz, Takeshi Sugiura) as “Shooters”. Basically if you were 6’, and under, tossed around guys, but weren’t built like Mac Trucks, then I would classify you as a “Shooter”. Like the Steiners suplex’d guys, and weren’t super tall, but they were so meaty that they would be categorized as “Hoss”.

Sugiura has been fucking huge at times.

Rick Steiner is under 6 feet.  Not a Hoss at that height unless you get at least as wide as Jeff Cobb.

The test for Hoss is "Does it look like this guy's dad probably hates him for absolutely destroying his mom's vajayjay during child birth?"

It was a running theme on Bonanza

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

How about Taz?  He was 4’6” but would squash jobbers like he was 5’6”!

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

Are the Samoan Swat Team considered hosses? Because their squashes were always great fun. Unless you were the guy facing them. 

I'm honestly struggling to think of a non-hoss Samoan, I'm sure there are some but none that immediately come to mind

10 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm honestly struggling to think of a non-hoss Samoan, I'm sure there are some but none that immediately come to mind

I dont think of the Usos as "hosses" in tre traditional sense of the word. Unlike Joe or the SST or Rikishi solo or Samu solo or Afa/Sika. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Siva Afi?

7 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The Hollywood Blondes might be the best "they were broken up too soon" short-lived tag team.

Even better than Manny Fernandez and Rick Rude, yeah, I said it, don't @ me with angry comments because my feelings bruise easily. 

I forget who won the best short-lived tag team tournament we had a while back, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t the Blondes.

9 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Where does Scott Hall fit in here?

Probably fits the traditional hoss theme, but was so.....vicious without ever really looking it.

Well he did start with Verne pushing him as "Gator" Hall with a rather ridiculous vignette of him wandering around a zoo poking the alligators with a stick...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

watching an upload of a UWA interview where the Spanish speaking interviewer interviews French speaking Andre the Giant in English (by reading off a piece of paper) while somebody spoke Spanish over the English. That should tell us that French and Spanish diverged a bit in their ways from Latin if they had to find neutral ground.

I wish the clip quality was better for the several Andre heel interviews in French (for Quebec) because evil Andre speaking French is sorta terrifying.

Just now, RolandTHTG said:

Was this before or after Jake was using the snake gimmick? I'm assuming after?

Damn, it's been a long time, but Bock was champion, Hennig was still in the AWA and pretty green, so I'm thinking with Verne's impeccable sense of timing that it would have been shortly after Jake started lugging a snake around in the WWF.

It's funny, but lots of folk don't realize that he was "Jake the Snake" long before he ever started carrying actual reptiles to the ring with him. That was all VKM.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OSJ said:

Damn, it's been a long time, but Bock was champion, Hennig was still in the AWA and pretty green, so I'm thinking with Verne's impeccable sense of timing that it would have been shortly after Jake started lugging a snake around in the WWF.

It's funny, but lots of folk don't realize that he was "Jake the Snake" long before he ever started carrying actual reptiles to the ring with him. That was all VKM.

Now I just want to see him trying to lug a giant fucking alligator to the ring, and chaos ensuing when no-one can wrangle it, subsequently killing both the town, and ringside children.

8 minutes ago, Morganti said:

Even Roman isn't really a Hoss.  He's built like a slightly shorter version of his cousin the Rock 

Roman and the Uso's especially the bigger one look like they could become hosses if they wanted to just not watch their weight. Isn't that the Reason why Roman still wears the vest?