DVDVR Message Board

The Boys

Guest The Magnificent 7

I am thinking I will give this a shot as I like Karl Urban, but I am not familiar with the comic. One thing that put me off on the ads was it looked like it would rip much of the tone and feel from Marshal Law and I was a huge fan of Mills and O’Neills work. 

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Finished the season last night. that was a somewhat crazy ending even having an idea of where it was going beforehand. Really enjoyed the show overall and will definitely be there for another season.

Surprised how that first season ended that will take it in an interesting direction. My only complaint is that...

The ending creates this temporary truce between the protagonists, and the antagonist that we’ve seen countless times when a show can’t get rid of a compelling villain, and it’s actor. When it works, it works(Justified), when it doesn’t, it really doesn’t(Walking Dead).

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Surprised how that first season ended that will take it in an interesting direction. My only complaint is that...

Hide contents

The ending creates this temporary truce between the protagonists, and the antagonist that we’ve seen countless times when a show can’t get rid of a compelling villain, and it’s actor. When it works, it works(Justified), when it doesn’t, it really doesn’t(Walking Dead).

Spoiler

I read something about the likely Truce we will be getting being something that happened in some fashion in the comics themselves so hopefully whatever they have to work off of is solid enough already. I doubt it will be Justified level, but I will be ok if it just a decent deal better than Walking Dead.

My wife and I finished watching the rest of the wishes today and holy shit was this fucking outstanding. I give this an A+. I couldn't give a shit about the source material and I doubt it could be better than Karl Urban or Elizabeth Shue chewing scenery. Actually, everyone was great.

By the way, am I alone in thinking that Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan's son (Huey) looks EXACTLY like Michael Shannon?

54 minutes ago, Daynek said:

Hughey definitely looks like Michael Shannon, but the actor playing Homelander looks like someone took Michael Fassbender and Julian McMahon's DNA and grew him in a lab

I was thinking Homelander looked like a weird combination of Chris Pine and either Chris Evans or Bradley Cooper. He for sure sounds exactly like Chris Pine.

That was the one weird thing about this series...So many people look liked someone else. Starlight looked like Kate Mara, I got a Sarah Polley vibe from Maeve, Hughie looks like Michael Shannon, already mentioned Homelander, etc.

• Like 2

Frenchie actor looks like an actor I don’t know the name of, but he’s been in a bunch of movies from the early 00’s. Karen Fukuhara, who plays The Female, looks so much like Pom Klementieff, that I was like “Shit, lady, slow down! You are in too much right now”.

• Like 1

As a New Yorker, it always cracks me up when they blatantly use other locations as stand-ins for Gotham. Anyone from Toronto know which station they used (South Bay?) for "Penn Station?"

On 7/29/2019 at 9:57 AM, Pete said:

As a New Yorker, it always cracks me up when they blatantly use other locations as stand-ins for Gotham. Anyone from Toronto know which station they used (South Bay?) for "Penn Station?"

A couple shots looked like they were of Chicago too.

In the middle of episode 5. But so far this has been great. Read the comic at least 4 times now. And the changes to the show are working well. Looks like Ennis is doing good so far Preacher and The Boys have been damn good adaptations of his comics.

• Like 1

I had no prior exposure to the comics, but I watched the first episode of this on Sunday afternoon and really liked it.  I'm through 4 episodes now.  Some of the outrageous sex and violence are a bit try-hard, but the cast makes it work.  Erin Moriarty and Jack Quaid are winning as the naive leads, and Karl Urban gets to do Karl Urban things, which is always welcome.

Im not really that into the Compound V or supes-in-the-military arcs, and I'd almost prefer if itwas more of a procedural where every episode is just the Boys trying to figure out how to kill a certain supe, kinda like the 2nd ep.  That was fun, and it really earned the big gore spot.

To what @Matt D was saying earlier about deconstructing superheroes, I'll say that the show seems less interested in that and more in using the supes as stand-ins to address the actual power abuses and imbalances in society.  Like, Starlight exists as a contrast to the Seven, showing that being a superhero isn't inherently bad...but the the institution of wealth, power, and influence that has been built around them surely is.

My guess is that, in the long run, there's probably going to be a conflict between Butcher, who thinks all supes are inherently bad and need to be dealt with, and Hughie, who'll see the bigger picture.

I'm still not sure if Anthony Starr's acting is great or terrible, but the weird, uncanny valley quality of it definitely works for a character as inhuman as Homelander.

I finished the season yesterday and came away really impressed with the whole thing.  I kinda saw the twist coming from way early in the season...but it's a good twist that sets up an interesting dynamic going forward, especially for Butcher.  I was actually getting tired of Butcher's one note and was ready to skip to the part where he inevitably becomes the villain, but the twist leaves him in a much more interesting place, and I'm curious to see how it changes him (or not!) going forward.

Here's hoping Kripke doesn't pull another HEROES season 2.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Not that I was going to be doing much else anyways, but I think I'm just going to binge S2 during my birthday instead of the usual 3 days to a week breathing room method I do. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

isn't S2 being released weekly?

Aw man, really? I hope not.

EDIT: Ah shit. Yep. 3 episodes at launch and then one new episode every Friday until October 9th.

Edited by Craig H
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think Antony Starr is brilliant on The Boys. His Homelander is a very creepy and unnerving sociopath. From what I've seen between this and his work on Banshee, Starr is a very good actor. And this role is a huge departure from his role on Banshee.

I'm still kind of undecided on Dennis Quaid's son, who I definitely do not like on Lower Decks, where he sounds like a discount Dave Foley mixed with Thomas Middleditch.

Karl Urban is great on this show even though he clearly has trouble maintaining that British cockney accent. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1