DVDVR Message Board

The Boys

Every year I binge a tv series while wrapping presents because I need something to take up about 8 hours of time. This year it was Gen V.

So, my first impression of Gen V was correct in that if self harm or rape or bulimia or suicide or many other teen issues presented on a screen make you squeamish then it’s going to consistently be an uncomfortable watch. I think every episode there was at least a couple of issues present that made me question if those issues were being presented in a “good” way or if they were just exploiting those issues. I honestly still don’t know. It’s not like an after school special or anything. I don’t know. It’s just a little odd. It at least blows the Umbrella Academy out of the water.

Despite that, it was really good? Definitely better than just good. I do think that if you’re a fan of The Boys then it’s going to be an essential watch before season 4. There is just way too much that is setup or presented in Gen V for it to not matter in this season.

Spoiler

They essentially setup multiple ways to kill Homelander, and all supes in one case, and leave it open to speculation as to how that will be used. And nearly all of the key players from the Boys are represented.

I think it’s better to watch this closer to S4 like I did than to watch it when it first came out. And I’m eager to see another season of Gen V given how it ends, but I’m not super keen on cutting or gender identity or mental illness or loneliness being kinda exploited to give a reason for how super powers get used. Maybe it’s just easier to see that stuff with adults as opposed to characters who are only a handful of years older than my daughter. Basically, if Euphoria made you uncomfortable, this probably will too.

• Like 2