DVDVR Message Board

The Boys

22 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I think Antony Starr is brilliant on The Boys. His Homelander is a very creepy and unnerving sociopath. From what I've seen between this and his work on Banshee, Starr is a very good actor. And this role is a huge departure from his role on Banshee.

I honestly forgot they were played by the same guy until you mentioned it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The first 3 episodes of season 2 were terrific.  Show hasn’t missed a beat, so far.

I have close to zero familiarity with the comic, so I really loved how they introduced and developed Stormfront over these first few eps.  The show continues to be a lot smarter than people want to give it credit for.

I feel like the gradual progression from “Oh, this new character is fun and irreverent and not afraid to speak truth to power” to “Oh, she’s actually a virulent white supremacist” probably matches how a lot of people unwittingly fall down the alt-right, red pill rabbit hole.

First episodes was a bit slow for my tastes, but it definitely picks up in Episode 2. And for a comic book TV show about superheroes, they do get some fairly decent action and setpieces in, despite the clear limits.

I'm still not convinced Becca being alive was a good choice, but we'll see how it plays out.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone in the DC universe should be thankful ma and pa Kent were such good parents.

I'm caught up through episode five. Could someone with a better memory than myself please tell me what the situation was with Homelander's biological mother and father? Season one feels so long ago that I can't remember.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Everyone in the DC universe should be thankful ma and pa Kent were such good parents.

I'm caught up through episode five. Could someone with a better memory than myself please tell me what the situation was with Homelander's biological mother and father? Season one feels so long ago that I can't remember.

He had none, allegedly.  Scientists raised him with a fake backstory, but they did a whole "reward/punishment" thing that basically fucked him mentally (which is why once he found out he had a kid, he went hell bent on "being daddy", even if he's a fucking psychopath), and no one has revealed his actual parentage.  That also explains the massive "mommy" issues Homelander had with Stillwell (which he's replaced with a whole new set of kinks apparently)

Spoiler

Or not, depending on how much of comic Stormfront they're keeping aside from the White Supremency.

Edited by Raziel

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

He had none, allegedly.  Scientists raised him with a fake backstory, but they did a whole "reward/punishment" thing that basically fucked him mentally (which is why once he found out he had a kid, he went hell bent on "being daddy", even if he's a fucking psychopath), and no one has revealed his actual parentage.  That also explains the massive "mommy" issues Homelander had with Stillwell (which he's replaced with a whole new set of kinks apparently)

Reveal hidden contents

Or not, depending on how much of comic Stormfront they're keeping aside from the White Supremency.

Thanks. I was wondering if we'd met any biological parents. I remember the Stillwell stuff, I was just curious about actual parents. 

I haven't read the book, but based on the last episode

Spoiler

I'm wondering if we get Stormfront revealed as someone's mother due to her age. Your comment seems to suggest I'm leaning in the right direction. 

On 9/25/2020 at 9:21 AM, Raziel said:

Good god do I love this show.

Me too. 

For me, it has this weird effect where the episodes seem really long, but don't drag at all and it feels like I'm in the middle of a movie, then the episode ends even though I could totally keep going but I'm not bummed because the endings are really satisfying. 

Or, to put it much more simply, I have ADD and this show is totally engrossing. I'm not used to living like that. 

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Agreed, love the finale. Did not see that coming at all at the end.

So how far off are they from the comics at this point?

I've only read the first comics omnibus but it's my understanding that things are prettttty far off.  There was definitely more Love Sausage in the comics.

Edited by worldcupfever

They're not close to the comics.  I mean, some stuff is kinda intact, but it's basically character names now (although they came pretty close with the Stormfront beatdown scene).  

• Like 1

Can someone who had read the comics tell me if 

Spoiler

Homelander actually ever goes full batshit heel and kills everyone?

Because I'm going to go against the grain here, while I enjoyed the show a lot I found myself getting bored without that payoff. Also I love Karl Urban, but even Dick Van Dyke thinks his accent is fucking diabolical. Which is strange because his Bones impression was excellent in Trek.

2 hours ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Short non-spoilerly answer, Yes he does.

2 hours ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

Reveal hidden contents

Because I'm going to go against the grain here, while I enjoyed the show a lot I found myself getting bored without that payoff. Also I love Karl Urban, but even Dick Van Dyke thinks his accent is fucking diabolical. Which is strange because his Bones impression was excellent in Trek.

Yeah his accent isn't great, but his physical acting, specifically in climax scene, was amazing.

• Thanks 1

Man, 8 episodes done like that. Season was way too short and I want a fuck ton more. I fucking love nearly everyone on it, especially Anthony Starr and Karl Urban. I swear, Urban is completely channeling Captain Jack Sparrow with his performance I love every second of it. Hell I even really liked Meg Ryan and Dennis Quaid's ugly son and I thought he was the weakest part of last year. The stuff with Kimiko and Frenchy got me in the feels this season. Mother's Milk was awesome.

Yeah, I thought the whole season was great, but just too short. I did expect Cindy to show back up and she didn't. I'm guessing that happens next season maybe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1