DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Super J-Cup 2019

Archibald

Tonight's J-Cup finals show.

Spoiler

1. Dragon Lee v. Caristico - J-Cup Semi-Finals.

2. Will Ospreay v. El Phantasmo - J-Cup Semi-Finals

3. Shota Umino v. Alex Coughlin

4. Jonathan Gresham v. Clark Connors

5. Soberano Jr. v. Ren Narita

6. Juice Robinson v. Karl Fredericks

7. Jushin Liger, Amazing Red, Ryusuke Taguchi, & TJP v. Rocky Romero, Sho, Yoh, and Robbie Eagles

8. Tetsuya Naito & BUSHI v. Jay White and Taiji Ishimori

9. Super J-Cup finals

Ended up grabbing  last minute tickets for tonight's show.

Looks like a fun show, plus I know I would regret passing up probably my last chance of seeing Liger in person.  

• Like 2

Show was fun. Only one merch table, but it was done well. I probably only spent 10-15 minutes in line since I was part of the first group let in.

Meltzer has the results. Biggest pops were of course for Liger, Naito and Taguchi. Biggest heel reactions was to Jay White, ELP, and New Japan for announcing their next show to be in San Jose.

Spoiler

EL P hit a gusher diving onto Dragon Lee on a table.

White challenged Naito for Wrestle Kingdom. Ospreay and Eagles challenged ELP and Ishimori for the Jr. Tag belts. ELP of course challenged Ospreay for the Jr. belt.

• Like 2

I know he wants to, and Liger can do what he wants, but I really don't want to see Liger's retirement wasted on ELP.  I've been kinda hoping Hiromu is back and fully running by then.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Semis and finals were pretty great. I accidentally spoiled this show and was doubting Phantasmo a little but he earned every bit of his victories. Lee/Caristico was very fluid, I imagine these guys have worked together a bunch. Lee nails a fantastic tope at one point, smashing Carisitico with his body but still landing safely. Ospreay’s selling is Hulk Hogan levels over the top sometimes but I was just buzzed enough to find it funny. ELP landed a rope walk moonsault I was sure was going end badly and his diving foot stomp in the last match was balls out. Not even sure how Phantasmo started bleeding but it added to the match too. Maybe not the most technically sound tournament but those last few matches were a lot of fun.