DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Super J-Cup 2019

Archibald

Single eliminiation tournament to crowd best (second best?) junior in the world. Three shows:

8/22 Temple Theater- Tacoma, WA
8/24 SFSU Student Life Event Center- San Francisco, CA
8/25 Walter Pyramid- Long Beach, CA

I think tickets are on sale already and first two shows might be sold out.

Liger supposedly will also be on the shows, but he won't be participating in the tournament itself.

Edited by Archibald

Interesting that Sho is in and Yoh isn't, wonder if they're angling to a split soon. Sho is definitely the one that appears to have more potential anyway. And I wouldn't be surprised with Lee took the whole tournament. Wish I still lived on the west coast so I could go to the Tacoma show.

There's also this tweet from earlier this month which includes Osprey, El Phantasmo, Sho AND Yoh.

I posted in the General Japan thread but I got tickets to the San Francisco show, and that one is sold out. I've never been to this venue/building, but the local PWRevolution has run lucha shows there a few times.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Amazing Red is in the Super J Cup. What year is it again?

Unless I was looking at an alternate timeline didn't Red retire a couple months ago?  I know that a lot of wrestlers were thanking him online and it seemed like that the end.  But I guess that changed.  Will be interesting to see how he does.

44 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Unless I was looking at an alternate timeline didn't Red retire a couple months ago?  I know that a lot of wrestlers were thanking him online and it seemed like that the end.  But I guess that changed.  Will be interesting to see how he does.

We know 99.9% of wrestler retirements don't last, certainly not the first one.

• Like 1

Apparently the shows will not be live on NJPW world, but will be delayed. Picked up a cheap ticket for the finals, since the cheap seats at the Pyramid have a great view.

I bet Liger announces himself as an "injury replacement on the last day of ticket sales" for uh, Connors or something. Then he jobs to Gedo(him having replaced Dragon Lee) again like in 1995 and Scott Keith's heart explodes.

7 hours ago, Ryan said:

I bet Liger announces himself as an "injury replacement on the last day of ticket sales" for uh, Connors or something. Then he jobs to Gedo(him having replaced Dragon Lee) again like in 1995 and Scott Keith's heart explodes.

I half jokingly call for a scale check because I don't believe Gedo is still south of 225.

Added the bracket to the first post. A bit disappointing line-up to be honest. Asides of TJP and Amazing Red it feels like BotSJ redo. Caristico and Soberano weren't in it, but have been around for Fantasticamania.

My initial guess would be that we'll have Ospreay/ELP and Caristico/Dragon Lee for semi-finals and ELP/Dragon Lee for the finals.

• 2 weeks later...

First round has concluded, spoiler for those who care:

Spoiler

Ospreay defeated Amazing Red
Sho defeated Ishimori

TJP defeated LA young lion
ELP defeated Eagles

Taguchi defeated Gresham
Dragon Lee defeated Yoh

Caristico defeated Bushi
Sobernaro Jr. defeated Rocky