DVDVR Message Board

NFL PRESEASON 2019

Dolfan in NYC

So are they playing on an 80 yard field because 20 yards of it near the end zone is messed up or trying to adjust because it is a 110 yard field (not knowing if Winnipeg is playing their games there)?  

Also sounds like Cam Newton got hurt tonight but not sure how serious it is.   From little I have seen, the Panthers offense has looked really bad 

17 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So are they playing on an 80 yard field because 20 yards of it near the end zone is messed up or trying to adjust because it is a 110 yard field (not knowing if Winnipeg is playing their games there)?  

Also sounds like Cam Newton got hurt tonight but not sure how serious it is.   From little I have seen, the Panthers offense has looked really bad 

The former, somewhat.  From the article on Deadspin about it:

Canadian football is played on a larger field, with bigger end zones and, importantly, goalposts anchored at the goal line, in the field of play. In order to fit a CFL field for an NFL game, new goalposts need to be installed, the CFL ones need to be yanked out, and the holes in the turf where the CFL goalposts once stood need to be patched. That last bit is no minor concern—the difference in dimensions places those holes right in the middle of NFL end zones, where they pose a risk to the feet and ankles and legs of players not used to accounting for them.

Refitting the playing surface turns out to have been a significant undertaking. Tim Van Vooren of FOX6 in Milwaukee reported that stadium maintenance types spent $40,000 installing new goalposts for Thursday night’s game, and patches of turf were glued into place to cover the end zone holes. Those patches apparently needed re-gluing, and after walking the field ahead of the game, the Packers made the decision to hold a whopping 33 players, including every starter, out of the contest. The condition of the field was still being scrutinized late into the evening, as early fans began entering the stadium

3 hours ago, dogwelder said:

The guy who approves the Super Bowl fields signed off on it Tuesday. Both teams signed off on it Wednesday. Someone threw a shit fit about it today.

Game was fun. Was neutral when the game started, but some dickhead Packers fan in our section started flipping off Raiders fans after a touchdown, so I became a Raiders fan who still wanted Peterman to throw a bunch of interceptions. Well he threw one, and they won the game.

Had a friend who is a huge Packers fan, and paid more than 400 bucks to sit at the 50 yard line behind the Packers bench. He said that the players who got pulled from the game could not be bothered to turn around and even acknowledge the fans cheering them on. I feel bad for the people who overpaid to see their favorite team play, and have this be the result.

On the plus side, the beer stands that normally get shut down after the third quarter during a CFL game stayed open until the two minute warning.

7 hours ago, hammerva said:

And Jordan Reed suffers a concussion in the 2nd half because clearly 3 healthy game in a row is way too much to ask

Well to be fair, he did receive a helmet-to-helmet hit in the first half which the defender got penalized for.  I'm actually surprised they didn't have him go through concussion protocol right after the hit.

12 hours ago, dogwelder said:

Canadian football is played on a larger field, with bigger end zones and, importantly, goalposts anchored at the goal line, in the field of play. In order to fit a CFL field for an NFL game, new goalposts need to be installed, the CFL ones need to be yanked out, and the holes in the turf where the CFL goalposts once stood need to be patched. That last bit is no minor concern—the difference in dimensions places those holes right in the middle of NFL end zones, where they pose a risk to the feet and ankles and legs of players not used to accounting for them.

Refitting the playing surface turns out to have been a significant undertaking. Tim Van Vooren of FOX6 in Milwaukee reported that stadium maintenance types spent $40,000 installing new goalposts for Thursday night’s game, and patches of turf were glued into place to cover the end zone holes. Those patches apparently needed re-gluing, and after walking the field ahead of the game, the Packers made the decision to hold a whopping 33 players, including every starter, out of the contest. The condition of the field was still being scrutinized late into the evening, as early fans began entering the stadium

Or they could've... oh, I don't know... just played the fucking game with the regular CFL field and just move the kicker back 15 yards for extra points and the like?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Or they could've... oh, I don't know... just played the fucking game with the regular CFL field and just move the kicker back 15 yards for extra points and the like?

They had actually scrubbed the entire CFL field paint off, and painted it to NFL size. So unless they had agreed to play the game on a CFL sized field from the start (which would have been AMAZING), this was not an option.

On one hand, he's only 29.

On the other, I kinda get it. Lost one full year to an injury that seemingly just wouldn't heal on schedule, is suffering from another one that is healing slowly, has made a pretty good amount of money (though don't be shocked if the Colts try to get some of it back from whatever signing bonuses he's been paid) and people are more and more waking up to just how damn damaging the game is.

• Like 1

Fuck the Colts fans.

edit:

Took this from a tweet:

"Physical toll on Andrew Luck through 6 NFL seasons: » Torn cartilage in 2 ribs » partially torn abdomen » a lacerated kidney that left him peeing blood » at least 1 concussion » a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder » and this mysterious calf/ankle issue that led to this"

The guy sacrificed himself, been trying to keep going, decided the pain wasn't worth it, gave up something like $52 million to retire, and the fans BOO him?

Fuck them with a rusty knife.

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Texans got stomped by the Cowboys, lost Lamar Miller for the year, and are trading Clowney for a WR or maybe a LT but not Trent Williams or anyone good and with this Andrew Luck retirement people are gonna think the Texans will win the AFC south but if they do it’ll be with a 6-10 record and I think I’m still optimistic about that