DVDVR Message Board

We should probably do a Best Films of the decade poll, shouldn’t we?!

caley

Saw a Best if the Decade list today and was stunned that the decade is almost over! WAs thinking we should probably do one for posterity’s sake, shouldn’t we? Ideally have it end in, say, November (Between the annual Christmas and Halloween projects) with pimping threads for each year.

I’m not committing to anything here.  Just kind of reaching out to see if there’s interest, dates, discussion and who wants to run it etc. etc.

• Like 1

I plan on doing it but I wasn’t planning on doing it till mid next year (to allow some breathing room)

I am gonna run something between then and now - I just haven’t decided what. (Most likely I will do a poll to solicit feedback - I just haven’t had the time)

• Like 2

On 7/22/2019 at 10:55 PM, piranesi said:

I can't believe this is going to qualify as a decade.

I'm not sure if you mean this in a joking way, but it really doesn't feel distinctive. The 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s all feel like distinct moments in time. 2000-09 doesn't feel like it had any distinctive qualities to it, and 2010-19 just feels like a continuation of that decade albeit with increased social media and internet presence in our lives. I'm talking culturally here rather than movies. Is it just a case of us being older and life being more of a continuous, ongoing everyday journey at this point? Or has culture been pretty dull for the last decade+? Presumably people in their 20s now will look back fondly on this time period the way we do with the 80s and 90s?

• 3 months later...

I would definitely be up for doing a poll for this decade.  I do have some gaps in viewing as my hardcore movie watching years slowed way down after 2013 but I don't have as much as I thought I would.  It's really been a weird decade.  I can't say that it's been absolutely awful or even really bad as there's a bunch of good to great films every year but I think if you were to stack them up against any other time period, only a very few would stand.  My top 5-10 would probably still be dominated by films from 2010-2012.

It feels like only a few years has passed since we did the 2000-2009 poll.  So much has happened since then just personally.  Moved twice, continued with and left college, got married, promoted, etc.

I actually think there has been a ton of great and important cinema in the last decade, even if much of it has gone largely unheralded. I don't know, maybe we can blame it on the ever multiplying distractions that is life in the 21st century if so much of it hasn't penetrated the zeitgeist. 

I am absolutely down for a decade poll.

Edited by Execproducer

• 3 weeks later...

I just came here to see if anyone had asked this question yet. I had so much fun doing the 90s and 2000s poll, and was always bummed that I missed the 80s poll. I would love to have that kind of Top 100 fun with this decade. 

On 7/22/2019 at 8:45 PM, RIPPA said:

I plan on doing it but I wasn’t planning on doing it till mid next year (to allow some breathing room)

I am gonna run something between then and now - I just haven’t decided what. (Most likely I will do a poll to solicit feedback - I just haven’t had the time)

Just a reminder that this is still the plan

Of course 7 months is a long ways away

Plenty of time for the server to meltdown like 3 more times

How many films were previously required in submissions? 100? 50?

For me personally, in either case I think my lists would be composed of a lot of filler. I just looked through my Letterboxd and have a definite top 5 films I loved (though not sure of order) a handful of others that I wouldn't have a problem being in my top 10, but then everything after that is up in the air. I don't know if it's just me but it seems like fewer and fewer films resonate with me. Don't know if that's to do with growing older, seeing more and more films and TV, or being bombarded with media and attention is thus divided more. Sure, there are quite a few films I enjoyed at the time and rated accordingly on Letterboxd, but looking at them now they haven't stayed with me in the way films from previous decades have. It must be a memory imprint thing because I find the same issue with say, wrestling for example. I could name you matches from the Wrestlemanias of my childhood, but couldn't name more than a match or two from this year's edition.

So, in short, I could get to 50 with a bit of effort, but 100 is a bit of a stretch. Plus, does anyone care what someone's 78th favourite film of the decade was?

Edited by Swiftian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...