DVDVR Message Board

Impact Wrestling Spoilers for 8/9/19

*Taped for Xplosion: Rhino def. Joe Singh after the Gore

Impact Wrestling - Airing August 9, 2019 from Windsor, Ontario, Canada

*Jake Crist(c) def. Aiden Prince with a mid-air cutter to retain the X Division Championship

*Ace Austin def. Eddie Edwards via DQ when Eddie shoved the referee for trying to stop him from attacking Ace. During the match, Ace yelled "She wants to be with me". After the match, Alisha came out to stop Eddie. Eddie asked "Do you like him" and walked off. 

*Madison Rayne def. Alexia Nicole after CrossRayne. After the match, Madison & Kiera Hogan argued but then started double teaming Alexia until Jordynne Grace made the save.

*Taya Valkyrie(c) (w/ John E Bravo) vs. Havok went to a no contest when the match was interrupted by the Undead Bridesmaids. After the match, Su Yung appeared and put Havok in the mandible claw.

*Nate Madsen vs. Stone Rockwell went to a no contest when Rhino ran out and Gored both men. Afterwards, Rhino got the mic and called out Michael Elgin. Elgin said he doesn't know why Rhino picked a fight with him since everyone who has gone up against him has ended up in the hospital. They ended up in a pull apart brawl.

*The North (Ethan Page & Josh Alexander)(c) def. LAX (Ortiz & Daga w/ Konnan) to retain the tag team championships after a double team on Ortiz. After the match, LAX saluted the crowd.

Edited by DreamBroken

You know, when Ethan Page first showed up in Impact, more than a year ago I think, I couldn't see the point of him. He was put with Matt Sydal who was doing a Yoga hippy gimmick, opening the third eye and so forth, and his sidekick is trying to do an All Ego gimmick, even though Sydal's deal was supposed to be all about the negation of self. Then Sydal left and Page was just a guy who was on the show, but he had no direction to him. He was just there. Then Josh Alexander comes in, and they're a tag team, and that's better. And the last two weeks, they've been main eventing for the tag titles, having a fantastic match with the Rascalz last week and a pretty good one with a makeshift LAX this time. But if you watch, it's all Josh Alexander. All the North's big moves, either it's Josh by himself, or it's a double team initiated by Josh. But also everything that happens to them, all the big bumps and the athletic spots they've getting hit with, that's all Josh too. Page tags in, and suddenly it's punch-punch-Clothesline-Tag. I think he's supposed to be the charisma of the team, but Alexander is the tough looking one. And he's cut loads of promos in the company without having any line I can remember, so he's not a talker either. I'm starting to suspect that either he's been injured and wasn't at his best for these tapings, or possibly he's just really not very good. Josh Alexander however is fantastic.

Aiden Prince, as a hometown babyface getting a title shot, he was on the defensive for it felt like three quarters of the match. Jake Crist has (since the LAX vs OVE feud ended) been a lackey who screws up a lot, and now he's a dominant champion all of a sudden? Decent little match though.

Eddie Edwards seems to be fitting his gimmick a lot better in this Ace Austin angle. Developing Austin's character away from 'Young flier who does magic tricks' towards 'Sleazy guy who creeps on married women'... well, one of them is much more easy to dislike, isn't it? Good heel.

Fallah vs Moose will continue. Good. The impromptu match last week was too short to really get a feel for what they could do with each other. I'm thinking it might be impressive.

Considering they said Taya can't walk out on the match, she sure seemed to disappear from it before anything that could be called a finish happened. Presumably it was a DQ or no contest or something.

I thought LAX were supposed to be done with Impact, but Ortiz was still there for this. Has Daga come in long term, or is Konnan just getting him booked as a favour after he lost that lucrative MLW deal? Him pulling off a cross body catch into a vertical suplex on a guy who outweighs him by 40 or 50 pounds was incredible.

• Like 2

Good show with a lot happening and a lot of progressing stories/feuds/angles as usual. Jake/Aiden was good stuff with some killer spots. Aiden diving into a superkick was perfect and the 450 was a nice near fall. The commentary with Kiera Hogan was hilarious. I'm loving the Deaners/Desi Hit Squad feud as a lower card tag feud that's still getting plenty of time devoted to it despite the placement on the card. Another great tag title main event, thought Daga looked very good.

• Like 1

Aidan Prince has such a heelish face, similar to PAC, he just looks like he should be a bad dude.  I really like Jake Crist, his kicks always look outstanding and this was a good match.

I like the foreshadowing in the LAX promo, even if they missed a couple of beats.

I love the Ace Austin / Eddie Edwards feud.  Although at this point I’m curious to what Alisha’s breaking point with Eddie is going to be, she’s been through 2 years of crap with him.  She might just go, “you know what, he might be a goofy magician with an extendable cane, but going with Ace might just might cause me less drama each week”.

Liked the Tessa promo, Tessa showed some vulnerability which is the first time I’ve seen that from her.

The Fallah / Moose stuff works really well. Moose as the school bully is a perfect fit.

Im not too sold on the Madison / Kiera / Jordynne stuff but will see where it goes.

Huge pop for RVD in the Rascalz promo. Incredible stuff. “I heard he sweats CBD oil” ?

Su Yung’s comeback was a great visual. The undead kid was indeed disturbing! I also never noticed until now that Havok essentially has a tattoo of her own entrance attire on her shoulder. 

The Desi Hit Squad stuff continues to be the worst thing on the show.

Ace Austin is back, he really is a little creep.  He’s like a C Level Spider-Man villain trying to get a date with MJ to get to Spidey.

LAX not imploding during the main surprised me, I was sure that was where we were going.  This was my favorite match on the show. Really enjoyed it.

Honourable mention - Jimmy Jacobs roving reporter.  Since he’s been with Impact I think he’s had a shot at doing everything bar being a ref!

Edited by Ultimo Necro
Honourable mention addition
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The JImmy Jaobs/Melissa Santos interview had to have the most edit cuts in a wrestling TV history.  I mean I could have sworn there was 2 in one sentence.  The only thing I could figure is that most of them was because Santos dress straps was constantly falling down 

Stone Rockwell has to be one of the worst characters in the last couple years of Impact.  

• Like 1