DVDVR Message Board

SDL is The Canadian Rattlesnake - 7/16/2019

Niners Fan in CT

Guess we've got a ton of stuff set for Summerslam. Hopefully KO will get Shane the hell off the show. 

And Cesaro can make anyone look like a million bucks. Give him a bunch of money and titles. (and a cold compress) 

• Like 2

Cesaro/Black was nice.

Liv getting to talk only call Charlotte fake while sporting pink hair and blue tongue was kind of amusing. Their match later int he night was actually pretty decent. Will be interesting to see how Liv changes goign after her comments after the loss.

Ember vs. Bayley should be good if that is what we actually get. I still kind of expect Sonya and/or Mandy to be involved which will take it down a few notches though still be a decent match. Its just nice to see a fresh match up.

Not sure where they are going with Bryan. I oddly don't dislike the idea of Kofi/Randy as long as Kofi wins.

Ali going after Nakamura should be fun.

Figured IIconics/KW would end in bs. I did like the little of the match they gave us. I wonder if they opt for a stip at Summerslam

I skipped Dolp/Kevin aside from the finish.

Aside from the end of the show I thought this was solid.

I thought it was a pretty fun episode that moved at a good pace. 

I also love the logic of Charlotte saying the McMahons have always been good to her since the day she was born when in reality Ric was NWA’s top star back then.

3 minutes ago, RIShane said:

I thought it was a pretty fun episode that moved at a good pace. 

I also love the logic of Charlotte saying the McMahons have always been good to her since the day she was born when in reality Ric was NWA’s top star back then.

She probably barely remembers Ric's first WWF run.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

There is nothing, in the long checkered history of wrestling, no stupid storyline, dubious logic, idiotic stipulation, or shitty gimmick that is as grating and annoying and impossible to sit through as the current face/heel commentary screaming crossfire thing on WWE shows.

I mean, the need for a face and a heel commentator seems to be so entrenched in the conventional wisdom going back so long now that it's not going to change, but Jesus...Even Larry Zbyszko would maybe say one or two things that reminded us that he was a guy who respected cheaters, he would just sort of casually concern troll that he thinks maybe Stinger just doesn't have the heart this time to make it through...and that was all you needed. I would kill for Larry Zbyszko over Corey Graves right now.

and Bobby Heenan would throw a comment in here or there that reminded us that crooked guys usually do pretty good for themselves and that babyfaces are suckers.  And it was fine. It was great. And it was just barely there.

But this bell to bell screaming is essentially like having CNN pundits pumped into your ears while you're watching other shows. It is an actual physical deterrent to watching the show as my body lurches toward the remote within seconds of hearing Graves rev it up.

Whatever else is wrong in the ring or with the booking, I don't think there is any one single thing that they could fix to make their shows less difficult to watch than ust toning the announcing the fuck down.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, piranesi said:

But this bell to bell screaming is essentially like having CNN pundits pumped into your ears while you're watching other shows.

Unfortunately, you do realize the only shows on cable that draw more viewers than RAW are FOX/MSNBC shows that do exactly that.  

I've learned to tune it out.  It's all white noise now.  They all say such nothing, I don't even notice it anymore except Cole's "It's the BIG DOG" and Renee's constant "OH'S!!!"   Or "I was talking to X superstar and they told me..."  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Hated to see Sonya & Mandy squashed so quickly. Wish they would do something with them.

Like Orton/Kofi.

Imagine Stone Cold running away from the wwf roster.

Did he usually take on about 8 or 9 people at once and succeed? I don't think even he overcame those kinds of odds constantly.

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

There is nothing, in the long checkered history of wrestling, no stupid storyline, dubious logic, idiotic stipulation, or shitty gimmick that is as grating and annoying and impossible to sit through as the current face/heel commentary screaming crossfire thing on WWE shows.

I mean, the need for a face and a heel commentator seems to be so entrenched in the conventional wisdom going back so long now that it's not going to change, but Jesus...Even Larry Zbyszko would maybe say one or two things that reminded us that he was a guy who respected cheaters, he would just sort of casually concern troll that he thinks maybe Stinger just doesn't have the heart this time to make it through...and that was all you needed. I would kill for Larry Zbyszko over Corey Graves right now.

and Bobby Heenan would throw a comment in here or there that reminded us that crooked guys usually do pretty good for themselves and that babyfaces are suckers.  And it was fine. It was great. And it was just barely there.

But this bell to bell screaming is essentially like having CNN pundits pumped into your ears while you're watching other shows. It is an actual physical deterrent to watching the show as my body lurches toward the remote within seconds of hearing Graves rev it up.

Whatever else is wrong in the ring or with the booking, I don't think there is any one single thing that they could fix to make their shows less difficult to watch than ust toning the announcing the fuck down.

I fell down a youtube hole a few months back and watched a throwaway Tito Santana vs Sgt. Slaughter match from the Survivor Series 1990 build and it is, of course, a master class by Heenan in heel logic. He never says Tito sucks.  He talks up how physically gifted Tito is, towards the end of gushing about how impressive it is that Slaughter's heat segment is keeping Tito in check.  See, Tito has all the physical talent in the world.  All the babyfaces always do, they're in great shape, tough, etc.  Their undoing is always mental:  they're just stupid, or lack killer instinct, or waste time seeking fan approval [See, kids, it's actually your fault when your favorite wrestler loses.  Genius].  A fatal flaw that could easily be undone if they'd just get out of their own way and hire him to be their manager. ?

Anyway I think my point is I'd rather watch 7 minutes of Sgt. Slaughter not even bumping 30 years ago than endure Corey Graves workshopping his Letter To Penthouse about Mandy Rose while I to figure out if Rose is a real person or if just a cover identity adopted by Trish Stratus after she unlocked the secret of time travel back in 2002 but is squandering it on coming to 2019 for some reason

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The worst part about Graves is he was pretty good in NXT.

Wrong show for this part, but between the way they've beaten Graves into this horrible version (or just allowed it) and the way they took Renee, who proved in NXT she was great hosting panels and terrible on color, came to the main roster and was amazing on the post shows (RIP Talking Smack) and as good as humanly possible hosting the pre-show panels and... They've stuck her on commentary where she still sucks.

But whenever I really start to hate the commentary, I repeat my mantra: "At least it's not Coach. At least it's not Coach"

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, RIShane said:

This is a little petty. Charlotte would have been five years old when Ric jumped with the Big Gold Belt, and he was there until 93. Some of her earliest memories of being at wrestling shows are likely WWF events.

is it wrong that I am only about 50% sure that Bayley vs Ember Moon & Ali vs Nakamura either not happening at Summerslam or modified to something more?   Or maybe it hasn't been confirmed for Summerslam to begin with I am not sure.  Seemed that way.

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

is it wrong that I am only about 50% sure that Bayley vs Ember Moon & Ali vs Nakamura either not happening at Summerslam or modified to something more?   Or maybe it hasn't been confirmed for Summerslam to begin with I am not sure.  Seemed that way.

Bobbed onto wwe.com. Bayley vs. Ember Moon is confirmed.

I liked what they did with KO, but I think I would have preferred him handing out cans of whoop ass to everyone. I always loved the Austin vs Everyone stuff because everyone would oversell one punch from him. That was always funny.

I hope we get that at some point with KO.

And it's interesting...I think it was last week, but Alvarez mentioned how back in the early Attitude era, the stuff with Austin was almost always here's an episode of Raw and/or SD, Vince comes up with a plan to get Austin, Austin outsmarts him and either overcomes the plan and/or outright beats Vince's ass, and then there's basically a tease for what the next plan would be. The shit was basically every cartoon ever, but it worked. I'm normally not in favor of repeating shit that worked in the past, but I think it works with KO and I can't think of anyone else I want to see get their ass kicked on a weekly basis like I do with Shane.

• Like 2