DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXII - 8/11/2019

Dolfan in NYC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_superhero_films

Those are some surprising numbers indeed. I stand corrected.

Anyhow - I'll revise my point to say that it didn't really catch on as a pop-culture fad, and hasn't inspired a wave of guys doing tribute gimmicks off it, as say, Ledger's Joker did. Having Bray or Finn do what is essentially Eddie Brock/Venom with their respective alter-egos can still feel somewhat unique rather than....inspired?

On 8/14/2019 at 9:29 PM, L_W_P said:

The Fiend then enters at #20 and turfs Woken Matt in .4 seconds on his way to winning the Rumble and facing Universal champion Finn "Demon" Balor at Mania.

Shittiest WM main ever? 

I'm gonna be the board's Debbie Downer and just go ahead and say it: I might love Tom Savini but that mask is fucking stupid. The pants are fucking stupid. The whole idea is fucking stupid and Bray is going to die yet another death only this time he's the one who put the gun to his head. Funhouse may have been fun but the only good thing "the Fiend" is gonna do is scare little kids and piss off their parents. 

On the other hand, I somehow get the feeling this would have ruled if Victor Quinones was his manager or this took place in AAA/LU, so I'm also a complete hypocrite

• Thanks 3

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Shittiest WM main ever? 

I'm gonna be the board's Debbie Downer and just go ahead and say it: I might love Tom Savini but that mask is fucking stupid. The pants are fucking stupid. The whole idea is fucking stupid and Bray is going to die yet another death only this time he's the one who put the gun to his head. Funhouse may have been fun but the only good thing "the Fiend" is gonna do is scare little kids and piss off their parents. 

On the other hand, I somehow get the feeling this would have ruled if Victor Quinones was his manager or this took place in AAA/LU, so I'm also a complete hypocrite

Considering the company Bray's working for it's amazing that they'd even let something like this happen.  It's what Finn's Demon side should have been where instead of just wearing paint he would actually be all around much darker.  But the creative side of him is very different from Bray's and considering this was all his idea I quite like what he's doing.  I'm not a huge fan of the pants though for a functional mask he can wrestle in I quite like it.  I would like to think he has more fucked up ideas in mind but considering he had to go through a lot of red tape to get this on TV I'm very cool with what we got.  If it's true that Savini's group has more to come then for all we know that might take it to the next level.

Out of curiosity I did find his full Summerslam entrance online and showed it to some who follow horror but not wrestling.  It's gotten some positive responses and was told that for a mainstream wrestling company it's a pretty good attempt.     That's not to discount what you said but it was something I was testing out as of a couple days ago.

But I would be curious to see how a full-on horror movie with The Fiend would play out.  Have Bray's weird mind work with whoever knows what they're doing and it could be pretty darn cool.  Or I'm just horribly out of touch with what is "good horror" and it could end up being a failure.  Much like metal music what I feel is "good horror" might not actually be the case.  And it's all subjective anyway so who the hell knows. But I at least feel it's worth a shot.  Heck, for starters if they go long with this maybe they can test the waters and have him featured on a horror fan site.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
Redid a lot of this after getting some coffee in me.