DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXII - 8/11/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I really liked Charlotte/Trish a lot.

And it occured to me as I was watching that the springboard rana and the swinging flatliner looked the kind of spots Sasha would try to do, botch, and I would cringe because I was afraid her and/or her opponent got hurt really bad. Trish hit them really smooth.

(It just popped into my head. I'm not beefing. Don't quote me, I'm not gonna argue with you about it.)

I wish Trish had come along in this era.

As a huge fan of swamp living, verse quoting, cult leader, Bray Wyatt I thought The Fiend was stupid as hell.

Hopefully it's a really rare thing that he does ala Balor's Demon.

I really wanna see Mr Rodgers Bray Wyatt in the ring, trying to wrestle a clean and friendly match while occasionally having to contain The Fiend from hurting people that upset him.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Eivion said:

Charlotte/Trish was great. Trish looked better than she ever did in her prime and the two gelled generally well. This might have been my favorite match from the show.

No disrespect to Mickie, Victoria, Molly, etc, but Charlotte is a good bit better than anyone Trish ever worked with in her prime (except like Christian and Jericho if you count one-offs). I'm glad Trish got a match like this to settle the argument whether or not she could hang if she came up today, though.

Seth/Brock would've been a lot better without Seth catching a case of DDP disease. You don't need an injury angle to build up Brock as a threat. Any non-fan could discern Brock's opponent is an underdog just by looking at them, and people who have followed his career just need to hear his name and the story is set. Seth no-selling the buildup just makes everyone look bad.

Edited by Go2Sleep
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Edwin said:

There's no way to fix it. It's happening to everyone streaming on PS4.

My "favorite" bug on PS4 so far: I was starting to watch the show this afternoon; when I was FF through a segment (as good as possible with the shitty FF function of the new network), it suddendly jumped to the very end of the show, showing Rollins celebrating. So not only did I lose the position of the video I was at, I got the main event spoilered.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That might not be far off.  I've never had an issue streaming NJWORLD.  

I only have during Wrestle Kingdom, which I assume is them getting way more users all at once for the only time all year.

But I hadn't had problems with the Network in a long time until this relaunch.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I didn't watch Summerslam, but I just listened to the updated version of Bray's theme. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

The show was solid at worst. Check out the women's matches and Seth/Brock. Bray's update theme works well with his new entrance. Check that out as well.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Robert s said:

My "favorite" bug on PS4 so far: I was starting to watch the show this afternoon; when I was FF through a segment (as good as possible with the shitty FF function of the new network), it suddendly jumped to the very end of the show, showing Rollins celebrating. So not only did I lose the position of the video I was at, I got the main event spoilered.

That happened to me on the network a lot on my PS3. The worse is when it did it without me FF Toni Storm vs. Rhea Ripley the TV rematch weeks of the build up to the match. The Match starts and jumps to Toni walking up the ramp with the belt with the copyright in the corner. 

I feel your pain. 

12 hours ago, nate said:

The look he gives when he debuted the Fiend in the vignettes - the dead eyed stare - gives the impression of a pretty good actor underneath Bray the character.

The spot where Bray / Fiend struggled between listening to the Hurt hand and the Heal hand was the fucking best.

His new entrance is also money.  For some reason, I feel that the remix of his old theme has a lot more impact now that it has a female vocal.  Maybe because of the Sister Abigail part of Bray's mythology..

I have no idea why I am falling for this new gimmick.  Bray has let me down before and I feel that this will be no exception.

At least WWE is getting better about setting the table.  I knew as soon as I saw Normal Finn come out to face The Fiend, Balor was going to get his ass beat.  It's a good set-up for the eventual Demon vs. Fiend showdown.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I just got done listening to WOR on SummerSlam and I gotta say I think Dave is being unfair here. He's saying that WWE style is dated and they are playing catch up. He did say they've evolved and NXT is proof that there are people who know the business has evolved and are letting guys go ahead with the shackles off but on the main roster they are still too restricted. 

I don't agree.  Yes, I can watch the G1 and yes I do think it's better than current WWE but here's the thing.  WWE is a billion dollar company with a heavy schedule.  I don't think it's a matter of "evolving".   If Ibushi gets hurt on the G1 and he did the first night,  so what.. they are just going to shoot him up with whatever and send him back out and Ibushi is FINE with that.. 

WWE really can't afford to be having Roman and Seth go kill themselves. Maybe I'm wrong,  I think for the most part the WWE guys are doing plenty of moves and taking plenty of risks. 

Nattie and Becky were my favorite match. Some really brutal moments and it felt like they really hated one another. 

As a supporter of the older diva era women, I was behind Trish all of the way, despite knowing that a Charlotte win made the most sense. Good stuff from both and Trish makes me wonder how she and so many others would have gotten even better in today’s environment. 

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

The booking of Bray has let me down before and I feel that this will be no exception.

At least WWE is getting better about setting the table.  I knew as soon as I saw Normal Finn come out to face The Fiend, Balor was going to get his ass beat.  It's a good set-up for the eventual Demon vs. Fiend showdown.

Respectfully submitted as a FTFY ...

• Like 2

Add me to the camp that wants to see a Bray Rogers/Fiend dichotomy at play.  Hopefully it would be more like the best parts of Joseph Parks/Abyss, but we'd likely get the worst parts of Kane/Kane.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nate said:

Add me to the camp that wants to see a Bray Rogers/Fiend dichotomy at play.  Hopefully it would be more like the best parts of Joseph Parks/Abyss, but we'd likely get the worst parts of Kane/Kane.

I'd like that as well. Gives Bray Wyatt two distinct personas like Keiji Muto/The Great Muta, Mick Foley's Three Faces of Foley and Abyss/Joseph Park.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'd like that as well. Gives Bray Wyatt two distinct personas like Keiji Muto/The Great Muta, Mick Foley's Three Faces of Foley and Abyss/Joseph Park.

I mean its kind of obvious Bray is pulling from the Three Faces of Foley idea right now with Husky Harris, Bray the cult leader, Bray Rogers with the FFFH, & the Fiend all being severely different mental states/personalities.

• Like 2