DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXII - 8/11/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Alexa/Nikki v. Iiconics was fun. Loved Alexa working the babyface hot tag.

First half of the show felt like standard raw/sdl stuff. Cool finish in Styles/Ricochet. Owens had to cheat to beat the best in the world.

Then Charlotte/Trish was all sorts of awesome, easily my match of the night. Trish looked excellent, the early spots with the rana and headscissors, made me wish she was a regular part timer. Charlotte remains IMO the most consistent worker in the company, constantly outshining the rest. While I wish the match had more of a longer build, it was pretty much perfect with the 'battle of two eras' story they were telling. Loved it. 

Orton/Kofi was pretty good while it lasted. I went in thinking there's no way Orton is winning and come out thinking this might now be leading to Orton winning. I don't know if they'll stretch it out another 2 months but a HIAC blowoff seems like it could end up being fitting for this.

I know most people love the Fiend, but to me it's, as expected, still just Bray Wyatt in a mask. Same basic entrance with a lantern, same song just a different band, same moves in the ring. And that's all a bit corny to me, so I don't really care for it at all.

Brock can't beat a guy with broken ribs was bullshit. I don't dislike Seth but still. I do hate some of the really ridiculous no selling though. Brock throws Seth into the ringpost. "Seth is over here... having a hard time breathinOH FROG SPLASH THROUGH THE ANNOUNCE TABLE!" the fuck. Fine match, just ridiculous. Feel like all that with Brock as MITB was a waste, for him to just lose it in his first defense.

No Roman at all was weird. Swear there were reports insisting he'd still be a big part of the show. Wasn't there something about this show bringing the violence~! for a TV-14 rating and then absolutely nothing of the sort happened?

Forgot to mention the Edge appearance, that was cool. It always sounded like he was in the 'can never get physical again' camp, so was surprised to see him do the Spear.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 2

The stream wouldn't work on my laptop or ps4, only on my phone. Weird lag and out of sync audio all night. 

Show was okay, nothing felt super important to me though. I feel like we're in the same spot as we were 4 months ago story wise.

You all will love this. My Sister-in-law, who's seen a lot of wrestling over the last decade, now and then, watched the last hour with us. At the end of the Rollins/ Lesnar match , she said, with smarklike disdain, " I guess his ribs don't hurt anymore?". I laughed loudly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

Whomever made the call not to have rope breaks in the submission match deserves to be horsewhipped. Took away the drama of trying to reach the ropes to break the submission and pointlessly hurt the match.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

You all will love this. My Sister-in-law, who's seen a lot of wrestling over the last decade, now and then, watched the last hour with us. At the end of the Rollins/ Lesnar match , she said, with smarklike disdain, " I guess his ribs don't hurt anymore?". I laughed loudly.

She's not wrong. Rollins' selling is one of his worst traits. Brock stomped mudholes into him, and Rollins still ran around like everything was fine. Next time, Brock should shoot him with a harpoon.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

She's not wrong. Rollins' selling is one of his worst traits. Brock stomped mudholes into him, and Rollins still ran around like everything was fine. Next time, Brock should shoot him with a harpoon.

To be fair, she enjoyed the match. She was totally into it. She also was pointing out that if one's ribs were hurt, they wouldn't be wrapped that way.  ?

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

Whomever made the call not to have rope breaks in the submission match deserves to be horsewhipped. Took away the drama of trying to reach the ropes to break the submission and pointlessly hurt the match.

You can't be dqed so rope breaks would have made zero sense. The point was for them to have to figure out how to break the hold w/o a rope break.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Or a Goldberg.

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think all of that helps in any situation but this was a good show.  Only thing I hated was Kofi/Orton non-finish.  I guess they head to Hell in a Cell. 

I thought it was getting really good until the finish. I need to rewatch Embdr vs Bayley I wasn't paying my full attention but it seemed good but the crowd wasn't hot for it, I probably was excited about that match the most. Brays Redebut was cool too. I need to rewatch AJ vs Ricochet too, I caught the finish. 

Nothing was terrible from what I seen. Nattie vs Becky was MotN people give Nattie alot of shit sometimes but when she is on she delivers.

Although I thought Trish seemed like she was trying hard to keep up, She did really well. It had me thinking she would've been a whole lot better if she was able to work these type of matches consistently when she was around same for her most of her peers too 

• Like 1

I didn't mind the show. I think WWE booking has been in panic mode though. The last few months it's been Lacey Evans, Baron Corbin, Braun, Lashley, Drew, Roman. Neither of them were on the show.  The Orton-Kofi match ending is the only real thing I could have gone without.  I truly hope they aren't going the route of Seth-Shane.   Shane as Universal champ while AEW is getting started out would be a disaster for WWE and I am sure Cody would use it to his advantage any chance he could.

Also kinda surprised no 24/7 title change or Uso's.  Weird vibe for an event as big as SummerSlam but it could have been much worse. Interested to see what we get tonight and tomorrow.

7 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

I know most people love the Fiend, but to me it's, as expected, still just Bray Wyatt in a mask. Same basic entrance with a lantern, same song just a different band, same moves in the ring. And that's all a bit corny to me, so I don't really care for it at all.

I find it interesting that they went to all the trouble of redesigning the aesthetic of everything, and yet the basic character and booking is exactly the same. Bray rambles on saying spooky stuff and has unclear motivations, meandering from feud to feud with what appears to be no goal or purpose other than to freak out the normies. They've already rehashed one feud for no reason. How is this not just leading into more of the same?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I did a quick scan of the thread and didn't see it but it also could be mentioned elsewhere but...

They literally did no title changes over two shows so it will put even more into Seth's win.

• Sad 1