Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Dolfan in NYC

NXT Takeover Toronto II - 8/10/2019

Recommended Posts

🙄

Anyway, Io is about the most special wrestler in the whole company. No one else comes close to coming off as big of a deal as her at this point. Her heel persona, the music, the entrance, just everything is so utterly unique and awesome. She was the highlight of the entire show for me. 

I'm so afraid for her to make the jump to the main roster, but she's too talented to keep in NXT for long.

As much as I like Becky, I almost want for Becky on Monday to ask is there no one left to challenge her only for Io to come out and just starch Becky.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else have the problem on the network that I had that the sound and action were off? The action was probably 2 seconds ahead of the sound. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't watch regularly, but holy shit, are Mauro, Nigel, and Beth always that fucking awful?  like, I've always loved Mauro, but last night he was horrible, all 3 of them were.  Missed calls, bad references, Mauro never shutting the fuck up to let something breathe and needing to jam a million references in a sentence, Nigel going Graves-lite with the overloaded incredulousness on a face cheating, whatever the fuck it was Beth was doing, miscalling moves.  it was just bad, and didn't help a middling show along.

Edited by Raziel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife, who is fun to watch wrestling with because she overreacts to the danger if everything but rarely watches and why does Beth sound so bored and if that was normal. I don't know. I consider myself blessed because I'm usually pretty good at tuning out commentary so I really didn't notice much of the issues y'all had.

I did notice Mauro use a really weird voice in the main event at one point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anything the board has been too easy on Mauro. I feel like until now I've been one of the only ones talking about how much he can detract from the shows.

Come to think of it - I felt like I was on an island with my views on Gargano and the staleness of the brand, too. Feeling pretty vindicated, though I would much rather have seen an entertaining, fresh wrestling show than be proven right - whoever proposed all the titles changing hands before the next Takeover is on the right track. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

If anything the board has been too easy on Mauro. I feel like until now I've been one of the only ones talking about how much he can detract from the shows.

I kind of gave up early on the idea of arguing about it since so many seemed to like him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I felt like NXT fell apart when they called up Bobbie Roode too soon. NXT needed him as the main focus, as his act felt perfect for holding down their top title. Putting him on the main roster at that time was the wrong move. Hell, Roode should’ve been a permanent fixture on NXT. The fact that he’s been positioned to do jackshit proves that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

If anything the board has been too easy on Mauro. I feel like until now I've been one of the only ones talking about how much he can detract from the shows.

Come to think of it - I felt like I was on an island with my views on Gargano and the staleness of the brand, too. Feeling pretty vindicated, though I would much rather have seen an entertaining, fresh wrestling show than be proven right - whoever proposed all the titles changing hands before the next Takeover is on the right track. 

I like to think I’m not super vocal on either of these things because you generally do a good job articulating my feelings first and anything further from me can be redundant.

To be fair to Mauro, there’s a 90% chance Graves has me switching to the foreign commentary tonight as well.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Graves is fucking horrible these days too.  He repeats the same shit week after week.  It's not just Vince in his ear because I'm quite confident Vince wouldn't know what he's talking about.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Anyone else have the problem on the network that I had that the sound and action were off? The action was probably 2 seconds ahead of the sound. 

I can't say that I was having those sorts of issues.

I WAS having issues with buffering and things of that nature. This is the first time I had used my WWE Network for anything since the recent update, and I was constantly seeing the little spinning circle on the screen, action moving backwards a bit, that sort of stuff. I even reset my internet connection and everything, and kept having the same issue. Already noticed it a couple of times on the Summer Slam pre-show, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eivion said:

I kind of gave up early on the idea of arguing about it since so many seemed to like him.

I mean, I can respect the energy that he's trying to bring to the show and that he's trying to follow in the footsteps of Jim Ross or Joey Styles or whoever.

The difference is that those guys know when the heck to dial it back a bit. Mauro, on the other hand, is just kind of HEY I'M SCREAMING NOW AND I'M NOT ENTIRELY SURE WHERE I WAS GONNA GO WITH THIS SO I'M JUST GONNA SCREAM ALL THE WAY THROUGH!

I haven't minded it as much in the past, I don't think, but last night he just seemed to be actively awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

I can't say that I was having those sorts of issues.

I WAS having issues with buffering and things of that nature. This is the first time I had used my WWE Network for anything since the recent update, and I was constantly seeing the little spinning circle on the screen, action moving backwards a bit, that sort of stuff. I even reset my internet connection and everything, and kept having the same issue. Already noticed it a couple of times on the Summer Slam pre-show, too.

Same thing.  Never had an issue before the update.  Now it's all fucked up, wheel spinning..    etc.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Anyone else have the problem on the network that I had that the sound and action were off? The action was probably 2 seconds ahead of the sound. 

Not that, but there was a lot of buffering throughout last night.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

My wife, who is fun to watch wrestling with because she overreacts to the danger if everything but rarely watches and why does Beth sound so bored and if that was normal. I don't know. I consider myself blessed because I'm usually pretty good at tuning out commentary so I really didn't notice much of the issues y'all had.

I did notice Mauro use a really weird voice in the main event at one point.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I felt like NXT fell apart when they called up Bobbie Roode too soon. NXT needed him as the main focus, as his act felt perfect for holding down their top title. Putting him on the main roster at that time was the wrong move. Hell, Roode should’ve been a permanent fixture on NXT. The fact that he’s been positioned to do jackshit proves that.

Roode sucks. I'm happy he moved onto the main roster before I began attending NXT regularly.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Roode sucks. I'm happy he moved onto the main roster before I began attending NXT regularly.

Roode's a good enough tag wrestler.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gonzo said:

I can't say that I was having those sorts of issues.

I WAS having issues with buffering and things of that nature. This is the first time I had used my WWE Network for anything since the recent update, and I was constantly seeing the little spinning circle on the screen, action moving backwards a bit, that sort of stuff. I even reset my internet connection and everything, and kept having the same issue. Already noticed it a couple of times on the Summer Slam pre-show, too.

 

4 hours ago, Edwin said:

Not that, but there was a lot of buffering throughout last night

 

The weirdest thing is only on NXT this week and Takeover did I have problem no issue with NXT UK or Summerslam. I did have the spinning circle thing a couple of times because I skipped video package I had already seen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Drew McIntyre is the guy NXT has really missed over the last couple of years. He would've been the perfect ace. Now they have Matt Riddle, who would also be a perfect ace, in a needlessly dragging feud with Dain instead of dethroning Adam Cole. NXT used to be so good about putting new faces on top when the time was right, but this year they've decided to book Shayna like Brock Lesnar and run Cole/Gargano so far into the ground it's now floating in the Indian ocean. A Riddle title win here would've fit perfectly with his arc so far, and Yim (for all her faults) would've been a perfectly fine short-term champ to transition the belt to Io.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally forgot the Trevor Lee/ACH final match was supposed to be tonight. Was it or any other matches taped to air on NXT tv?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

I think Drew McIntyre is the guy NXT has really missed over the last couple of years. He would've been the perfect ace. Now they have Matt Riddle, who would also be a perfect ace, in a needlessly dragging feud with Dain instead of dethroning Adam Cole. NXT used to be so good about putting new faces on top when the time was right, but this year they've decided to book Shayna like Brock Lesnar and run Cole/Gargano so far into the ground it's now floating in the Indian ocean. A Riddle title win here would've fit perfectly with his arc so far, and Yim (for all her faults) would've been a perfectly fine short-term champ to transition the belt to Io.

I agree with all of this except that idea that Drew would have been a good ace. He has always been remarkably overrated. He would have done a solid job being just under the ace role, but never the actual ace role itself.

3 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I totally forgot the Trevor Lee/ACH final match was supposed to be tonight. Was it or any other matches taped to air on NXT tv?

It and Breezango vs. Forgotten Sons were taped.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, Mauro has been a negative for me for a while. He's Striker with an IVP Videos account. I don't know if his boxing commentary has gotten this bad, because I haven't watched any in about a year, but I always defended him there.  As an announcer myself, I'm not above a reference or two, but the key is to not make it obvious that you are making a reference just to be doing it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Eivion said:

I agree with all of this except that idea that Drew would have been a good ace. He has always been remarkably overrated. He would have done a solid job being just under the ace role, but never the actual ace role itself.

Agreed... Something about him just doesn’t fit in “The guy” role. Honestly, neither does Riddle who comes off as a prick heel, who should be attending to his crying baby instead smoking another bowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't believe no one else thinks Drew wouldn't have been perfect on top of NXT. Main roster, not as much, but his size and style would've made him a big force as a heel. He'd be more of a slugger to complement the speedy technicians, and still had the conditioning and smoothness to fit the modern style. His match with Oney Lorcan was perfect, and that template would've translated well working with Gargano, Ciampa, Ricochet, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Honestly, Mauro has been a negative for me for a while. He's Striker with an IVP Videos account. I don't know if his boxing commentary has gotten this bad, because I haven't watched any in about a year, but I always defended him there.  As an announcer myself, I'm not above a reference or two, but the key is to not make it obvious that you are making a reference just to be doing it.

Last time I listened to him call a fight, he sounded okay, but he probably doesn't have the leeway to indulge in his annoying tendencies there as opposed to NXT. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Can't believe no one else thinks Drew wouldn't have been perfect on top of NXT. Main roster, not as much, but his size and style would've made him a big force as a heel. He'd be more of a slugger to complement the speedy technicians, and still had the conditioning and smoothness to fit the modern style. His match with Oney Lorcan was perfect, and that template would've translated well working with Gargano, Ciampa, Ricochet, etc.

Problem with Drew in NXT was that he was miscast as a face in a promotion where he towered over the rest of the roster.  Should’ve been a heel, and then, yes, he would’ve been perfect as the top guy.

Honestly, Drew’s reign is when they started fucking up and not putting the belt on their most over guys.  Either Gargano or Roderick Strong (who was molten hot as a face at the time) should’ve gotten the belt there.

Then they gave it to Almas, who was great but not the slightest bit over at the time.  And right when the Almas/Vega act started clicking and the fans were buying him as the top guy, they moved the belt to Aleister Black, who wasn’t ready for it either.

Subsequently putting the belt on Ciampa made sense because he was getting insane heat...but that brought the never ending Gargano feud back to the forefront, which ultimately led us to where we are now with the never ending Gargano/Cole feud.

What a shit show.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the past I always felt Mauro was a net positive because despite all the overreaching references and sometimes exhausting maniacal delivery there was an honest-to-goodness passion that he was genuinely feeling in the moment. It was an antidote to the too cool for school mst3k irrelevant bickering interspersed with corporate buzzwords in the main show.

This is the first time it was so egregious that it detracted from the show overall. Or it may be that his less desirable tendencies were forgivable because the Takeover shows were just that damn good. Unfortunately that wasn’t the case with the show we got at the weekend.

Io was the bright point, and the tag and three-way were pretty fun too. Roddys running drop kick was beautifully violent, it reminded me of those shoot drop kicks that Joshi trainers would throw at their poor students. I also got a kick out of the corner to corner running forearms hitting Dunne and Dream and then back again.

They used to walk the line of drama and group masturbation and now it’s just all masturbatory with everything drawn out a few minutes longer than it needs to be with the forced epics. That aspect reminded me of the last AEW show. Hopefully they find the balance again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...