DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover Toronto II - 8/10/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Some notes from being there live (without having rewatched):

I'm not sure they showed his name for the live crowd (I didn't see it) so that could be the reason Austin Theory got no reaction. That was awkward.

First three matches were great fun. Loved Io/Candice and the triple threat and will check those out again. 

Baszler/Yim was hurt by match placement and nobody really buying into Mia as a challenger. My hope was that they could pull something cool out of their match like Mickie James turning up against Asuka at the last Takeover: Toronto but it didn't work. The division desperately needs some movement.

Main event was exactly what I thought it would be, right down to match length. There were children all over my section and even they were getting exasperated by the end but the crowd energy stayed up and it made the match an enjoyable spectacle if nothing else. Hope this is the swan song of the Gargano/Ciampa/Cole epic era.

Overall I had a good night but it was step down from the last one for sure.

I will never be more conflicted about my thoughts on a wrestler than Johnny Gargano. 

He was in so many great matches. I will listen to arguments that DIY/Revival is the best NXT match and maybe the best friggin’ tag match in WWE history. His Almas match was incredible. A lot of the brawls with Tomasso were so friggin’ brutal. He had two underrated bangers with Dream. And I can see why people loved the Adam Cole matches. 

So why do I hate him so much and am glad he is going to be off of NXT? And it is not like this is new. I thought like this when he made his debut. I remember seeing him and Ciampa do some horrible promo and could not believe it was allowed on TV. 

I do not think I am alone in this.

• Like 1

Only watched the two women's matches so far, but Shirai and Baszler impressed massively by managing to have good matches with middling opponents who were never likely to win. LeRae's selling manner of "getting to her feet and hitting crappy looking offence" was galling, but Io had some real oomph to her offence and that finishing submission was nasty. Baszler sold the arm beautifully, almost on the verge of tears as she couldn't quite lock in that top rope gut wrench suplex. Loved her switching to a leg-based submission, using her good arm to find added leverage to get the win. 

• Like 1

Mia Yim sucks. No baby face fire, no intensity, no snap to anything she does. Shayna beating you down should bring you some sympathy. Her cheating to win seems like it could have had some legs but everything was just so half ass.

Compare to Io and Candice. A whole lot of snap and oomph to everything. Even Candice brought some snap and intensity. I mean, she had to because Io looked like she was trying to kill her.

Gargano / Cole was dull. Didn’t care. Worst feud ever. 

Everything else was fine. 

I kinda want both Cole and Shayna to lose in completely unexpected upsets before the next Takeover and have totally new feuds and new blood at the top before the next takeover. 

Cole can get squashed by Keith Lee. 

Have Kacy Catanzaro pull off a ridiculous rollup, then spend the next few months being pummeled by a pissed off Io and a pissed off Bianca.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I know it will ruin the narrative that a few folks like ruining but I figure I will just mention that both Meltzer and Alvarez though Io/Candice was the best match on the show (and hinting at it being the best WWE women's match ever)

That is crazy talk. I don't think it was as good as Asuka/Becky or Ronda/Sasha just from this year alone. 

3 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Way behind on this because of the abysmal network performance, but: shouldn't a "Tiger feint kick" that actually connects just be called a 619? It's not much of a feint if you clatter someone in the head with it

That is just Mauro trying to show his smark/nerd cred. Its annoying, even moreso when you take into account Io is a big Rey Mysterio fan and probably does use it because of him.

• Like 1

Dream's entrance was the most bizarre, pandering thing ever. Like, does he have any connection to Canada whatsoever outside of holding a title named after a continent that contains Canada? Not as far as I know. Being there live, I was staring at the Raptors thing and thinking "what am I watching?"

• Like 1

Didn't understand the Raptors stuff, and I was disappointed he was not dressed as a mountie when he came out. Did appreciate the Street Profits in Raptor colours, without Mauro beating me over the head that they were wearing Raptor colours.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

NXT needs something. They have a great roster but this show highlighted how stale everything is.  This Shayna title reign,  the Cole/Gargano forced classics,  it's starting to feel more like WWE lite than NXT.  

The Shayna reign is an issue with NXT getting way too obsessed with a particular woman. We saw the same problem with Asuka.  With Cole/Gargano its a case of a feud having gone on too long and main eventing far too many Takeovers. This was an issue with Ciampa/Gargano as well. They need to realize they have too much talent to be repeating main events on big shows that only come around a handful of times a year. They also need to let the classic match stuff happen more naturally instead of trying to force long epics, especially with moves guys like Gargano and Cole. 

• Like 2

I do like Meltz musing about the main maybe being A Bit Much after his praise for their last two matches. Talk about being late to the party. 

The rest of the card was good. Dawkins became a pretty good hot tag while I wasn’t looking. 

I like Shayna’s work, so I was fine with the match and her retaining. But anyone saying they’re tired of her reign has a valid bone to pick. It’s time for some turnover. 

“She is The Joshi Judas, Io Shirai. She idolizes WWE Masked Icon Rey Mysterio, but these days she has more in common with Comic Book Villain Mysterio, who treated Spider-Man like Shirai has treated Candice LeRae.”

Indefensible 

Edited by Sky Blue Sam
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

He’s a fucking abysmal announcer. No, we are not too hard on him. In a company with Vince mouthpiece Michael Cole and Renee Young he is the worst announcer.

Stop. You act like he's Byron or Otunga or Coach.

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Stop. You act like he's Byron or Otunga or Coach.

Byron is basically one of WWEs best announcers at this point, which is more a statement against WWE announcers. But, outside of Coach, I see no argument for Mauro to better then Byron or Otunga. He is a Matt Striker level “go fucking away” announcer for me. 

“Right in the Nets”

Fuck off with that.

5 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

With Johnny, they fucked up his character arc

Yes. I thought Johnny as the delusional guy who was convinced he was the hero was compelling. But now... I have no idea why he's a face again.

• Like 1