DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover Toronto II - 8/10/2019

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Counterpoint: Sting was never dumb enough to do a Canadian destroyer.

So you are saying that doing a Canadian Destroyer (technically a Code Red I think) and then another one standing on top of a ladder and GETTING A 2 COUNT is a bad idea ?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The Natural said:

That's what I thought would happen.

When Dream retained I was convinced that Gargano was going to win the title and that TUE would debut on SDL to attack Kofi/New Day right after SummerSlam.

Had a lot of buffering issues especially though the first couple matches but I liked what I saw of Street Profits and UE.  I always liked Tez but man Dawkins has really improved it seems.  I love the team,  I think they are potential stars for sure just unsure why they are being utilized that way on RAW.  

I really liked what I saw of Io and Candice also.  Io is just amazing,  she's insane. 

The triple threat was good but that's all I can say just a good match.  

I didn't care for the women's title match. 

I also really did not care for the main event.  I didn't buy into the first two falls or the strategy and then the cage w/ weapons was just not my thing. Crazy ending but...  nah. 

27 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I didn't say they didn't put out good stuff, but Evolve was never as big as WWE seems to think.

Oh, yeah, no debating this. I think WWE got the impression EVOLVE were a bigger than norm indy because of all the talent they scouted and signed from them even though they could've attended almost any indy show and scouted them there also.

28 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Can't speak for EVOLVE but that definitely goes for Ring of Honour. The glory days of Bryan Danielson, Samoa Joe and CM Punk. 2004-2006 ROH especially.

Was speaking in recent times -- not 15 years ago. EVOLVE wasn't even around back then. And like EVOLVE, with ROH the old days were the good days.

Mauro needs to fuck off. Or they need to steal his sheet of "get my shit in stupid references" before he leaves the backstage area. Also needs to be limited to one Mama Mia a show. 

Show was entertaining, until the women's title match. Crowd went mild for Mia, and nobody bought in to her winning. Other than Io, they don't have anyone currently on the NXT roster to take the belt off of Shayna. They almost need to do a "surprise opponent she did not prepare for" angle to get the belt off her and move her to the main roster. 

Main event. Not my style of match, and it went an hour, and Ranallo was insufferable for at least half of it. Shawn Michaels epic kick out of all finishers style is not for me. These two need to be kept away from one another for a long, long time. 

• Like 2

Also -- that Io submission is a neat finisher. I'm hoping she adopts it moving forward and keeps it locked on for a bit after the match is over as she did tonight.

6 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Shayna/Mia was the worst title match I've seen from Shayna 's reigns. The two just did not gel and the dual arm damage was kind pf unnecessary. I did like the idea of Mia willing to do every dirty thing to get advantage. Still the rough parts and dead crowd made this impossible to fully get into.To me this says a lot about why Shayna needs to drop the title asap. The crowd was just dead and had no belief Mia was taking the belt home. I really hope Shayna drops the tile next tapings.

I feel the same way. I like both Shayna and Mia but this was just not that good. And I agree that there was not one moment where I felt the reign was in danger.

I dug Io/Candice. Evil Io is the best.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Glad Velveteen Dream retained the NXT North American Championship. Surprised Shayna Baszler is still the NXT Women's Champion. You think this will be the time she drops the title but she still keeps it.

I love Shayna to a "settle down (insert name here)etico" degree but they are going to run into a problem with her soon, if they haven't already done it. At this point there really is no one who can credibly beat her. She's bulldozed through everyone and there's no one left. The match with Mia was a perfectly cromulant match, but it ain't setting the world on fire. If nothing else, Mia could have won to keep the belt warm for heel Io(and give me more of her, please) and Shayna could have been freed up to move on to other things. I HATE when they have the champions just vacate the belts instead of dropping them, and I fear that's where we are headed again soon.

• Like 2

I loved the first three matches. Shayna vs Mia was fine, but I just don't get Mia Yim, she'd probably be better as a bullying heel, but there's no room for another one. I'm not a star rating guy, but that ridiculous main event is making me dwell far too much on what I'd give it. They put in so much effort, and did so many cool, well executed spots that less than four seems insulting and like it's taking those things for granted, but it was such an overlong, move killing, bloated abortion of excess that more than four and a half seems insane, and like it's encouraging nonsense that shouldn't be rewarded. So I guess I answered my own question, four and a quarter it is.

7 hours ago, Gonzo said:

And I know the man has dealt with some stuff, so I want to try to be delicate about saying this, but. . .at this point Mauro Ranallo takes more away from the show than he adds to it. For me he does, anyway.

Way, way past the time for being delicate. Everyone loses their shit about Graves's Vince-produced stuff, but Mauro been the worst commentator on WWE TV by a country mile for years now.

DELIGHTED that they didn't run the stupid "UE wins all the titles" stuff and make the brand even more stagnant than it already is.

• Like 6

This show was BAD outside of Io/Candice honestly. It makes me sad that Gargano went from being one of my favorite dudes to watch, to someone I actively dread. No surprised that downward trend started the moment Michaels started agenting his matches.

I really only cared about Trevor/ACH, and I do see the irony in Trevor getting bumped to allow for a long ass main event.

• Like 3

I know it will ruin the narrative that a few folks like ruining but I figure I will just mention that both Meltzer and Alvarez though Io/Candice was the best match on the show (and hinting at it being the best WWE women's match ever) and that Gargano/Cole was the worst of the three

However the bigger point where the main will be 50/50 love/hate is correct as Dave noted that he had friends telling him that the main was an all time classic.

So we have learned that Meltzer has terrible friends

• Haha 3

I thought Shayna had one of the better performances last night, even if the match wasn’t great. Io/Candace was superb. All four women, including Mia, have a thing or two to teach the men about selling. The leg work in the tag title match and in the main event (much more woeful, of course) went nowhere. Main event was boring and cringeworthy: from the awkward opening “attempted finisher” spots to the overly long, meandering cage section. Crowd loved it, though. Probably more fun live than on television.

I had similar thoughts and feelings on this show that some here did.  I just didn’t think any of them ruined the show.

Several of the reactions to entrances seemed to expose a lack of overness in the undercard.  As well as the early parts of the first 3 matches.  No matter because ultimately, the work eventually hooked the live crowd and they got into it.

Dawkins and Yim however, I think, did not have much to offer.

For a main event that went 51 minutes I was surprised that the crowd reaction was as solid as it was since burn out is the common mistake these days.  I’m with some of you in hoping this feud is over now.  But that match was awesome.