DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover Toronto II - 8/10/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, The Natural said:

I'm an NXT fan but there's very few things I've liked about NXT this year (Velveteen Dream and Matt Riddle). Usually NXT is well represented in my Match of the Year lists but not in 2019.

NXT still got some goodies -- European Union are still around, 1-2, everyone in TUE except for Adam Cole, KUSHIDA, Gulak randomly popping up and there's some fun folks in the new crop of signees making the rounds -- Lumus, Grimes, Myles, Garza Jr.

I have nothing against Gargano or Cole but couldn't give a shit less about the main event and what I did pay attention to was everything I thought it would be, and not in a good way.

The rest of the show was fine, albeit forgettable.

I lost faith in this show after the Street Profits retained. I was hoping we'd at least get the cool visual of the Undisputed Era all holding gold to end the show. Nothing NXT has been doing is keeping me interested. The ineptitude of the main roster booking has kept talent in nxt longer than they should have been, and the product has gotten really, really stale. All the new talent brought in just gets lost in the shuffle. Keith Lee is the best example of that. Sadly, KUSHIDA feels like he's on an accelerated pace to becoming just another guy.

I hope SANADA stays the fuck away from WWE.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Apparently they believe that EVOLVE is a huge indie that everyone watches because if you don't watch it you probably haven't seen a single Austin Theory match

Evolve hasn't meant anything since being partnered with Dragon Gate.

17 minutes ago, hammerva said:

the only thing more disappointing than that main event was hearing WERE THE MOUNTIES theme and it was not PCO debuting 

I shudder to think how WWE would ruin PCO's act. I look forward to Villain Enterprises vs. The Elite once VE are free from ROH.

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

EVOLVE was the best indy promotion until last year or so when they became a developmental for WWE's developmental.

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've seen one Evolve show to this point, and it was the 10th Anniversary show from a few weeks ago. . .and even then my only real interest was seeing how Babatunde was progressing because he spent a Training Camp with the Vikings a few years ago.

And I know the man has dealt with some stuff, so I want to try to be delicate about saying this, but. . .at this point Mauro Ranallo takes more away from the show than he adds to it. For me he does, anyway.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

I've seen one Evolve show to this point, and it was the 10th Anniversary show from a few weeks ago. . .and even then my only real interest was seeing how Babatunde was progressing because he spent a Training Camp with the Vikings a few years ago.

That show was horrible and I don't know how anyone would gain interest in EVOLVE after it.

Not to be the "the old days were better" guy, but in EVOLVE's case, they were.

Mauro in a 1 hour setting is tolerable.  Mauro in a 3 hour setting is painful.  80% of his references are done with absolutely no purpose to try to impress people how smart he is.  the constant trolling of the Raptors meant nothing to the majority of the fans.   That joke about "we got nuts" is maybe the worst thing I have heard in years and I listened to Matt Striker on TripleMania last week

If they are going to do a show on FS1 and it is 2 hours they better replace Beth with someone who will once in a while tell Mauro to shut the fuck up

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Edwin said:

EVOLVE was the best indy promotion until last year or so when they became a developmental for WWE's developmental.

I didn't say they didn't put out good stuff, but Evolve was never as big as WWE seems to think.

4 minutes ago, Edwin said:

That show was horrible and I don't know how anyone would gain interest in EVOLVE after it.

Not to be the "the old days were better" guy, but in EVOLVE's case, they were.

Can't speak for EVOLVE but that definitely goes for Ring of Honour. The glory days of Bryan Danielson, Samoa Joe and CM Punk. 2004-2006 ROH especially.

• Thanks 1

By the way, if you see a bag that contains 2 or 3 brass knuckles and bolt cutters and maybe other things and you decide to cut about a 6 inch strand of obviously fake barbed wire given how easy Johnny held it as your weapon then  you deserve to lose  

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Also, as someone that grew up with a love for tag team wrestling, it saddens me to think about how great a tag team scene WWE could have if they actually gave a shit about it.

Between the Street Profits (who get better every time I see them and Montez Ford is going to be a star), AoP, the Viking Raider Experience, the Revival, the Usos, and any number of other teams, if WWE wanted to focus on an actual tag division, it could be incredible.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Can't speak for EVOLVE but that definitely goes for Ring of Honour. The glory days of Bryan Danielson, Samoa Joe and CM Punk. 2004-2006 ROH especially.

Comparing heyday RoH with almost any other time in company history is a blowout, even 2003 RoH you have Paul London tearing the house down with Danielson and Styles.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Edwin said:

I wouldn't go so far (PROGRESS, PWG, WXW) but they consistently produced good and great matches in front of usually dead crowds. I unsubscribed when they became a feeder league though and it doesn't seem like I've missed much.

edit: As far as indies and minor leagues like ROH, their heyday is over. It's going to take years for them to reload.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Between the Ciampa feud and the Cole feud, is there any doubt that the Johnny Gargano character is definitely the dumbest man in wrestling?

That honor still goes to Sting.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

Profits vs. UE was good. Glad Street Profits retained. Didn't like the idea of them losing their first major defense, and I don;t really care for the idea of UE running around with all the gold.

Io/Candice was good. Dug the new stuff Io tried and the two generally worked well together though there was just a bit a roughness to much of what they did.

The triple threat was nice. Very happy Dream retained.

Shayna/Mia was the worst title match I've seen from Shayna 's reigns. The two just did not gel and the dual arm damage was kind pf unnecessary. I did like the idea of Mia willing to do every dirty thing to get advantage. Still the rough parts and dead crowd made this impossible to fully get into.To me this says a lot about why Shayna needs to drop the title asap. The crowd was just dead and had no belief Mia was taking the belt home. I really hope Shayna drops the tile next tapings.

I honestly did not pay a super amount of attention to the first two falls of Gargano/Cole. I just don;t care for either guy a while lot and had no interest in seeing a third match between them. Will say I dug the parts where Cole was scare shitless of Gargano. The end of the first fall and beginning of the second fall was awesome with that. Otherwise I kind of tuned them out while doing other shit until fall 3. That one seemed ok though full of overkill like I would expect after the last two epics.

Thought this was the weakest Takeover in a long time. The crowd was pretty weak much of the time aside from Gargano/Cole. Shayna/Mia was kind of terrible, and I just didn't give a shit about the main event. First three matches keep the show being a loss since they were all generally good. Can;t help, but tfeel liek all of them though should have been a bigger deal. I do wonder what the reactions would have been had this still been in Brooklyn.

38 minutes ago, Edwin said:

NXT still got some goodies -- European Union are still around, 1-2, everyone in TUE except for Adam Cole, KUSHIDA, Gulak randomly popping up and there's some fun folks in the new crop of signees making the rounds -- Lumus, Grimes, Myles, Garza Jr.

The EU are Imperium now, and I don't think they have really shown up since the group started on NXT UK tv.

1 minute ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Between the Ciampa feud and the Cole feud, is there any doubt that the Johnny Gargano character is definitely the dumbest man in wrestling?

Seth Rollins' past few weeks would give him a serious run.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Eivion said:

The EU are Imperium now, and I don't think they have really shown up since the group started on NXT UK tv.

Barthel and Aichner have worked a bunch of house shows in Florida recently and are still training at the PC in Orlando. I'm sure they will pop up at the tapings.

Edited by Edwin