DVDVR Message Board

NXT TV - 07/10/19 (SPOILER FREE!)

Dolfan in NYC

The Street Profits put up their NXT Tag Team Titles against Lorcan and Burch

Damien Priest in action 

The Velveteen Dream and Shayna Baszler have press conferences

Why Io Why? 

First Round NXT Breakout Tournament - Jordan Myles (fka ACH) vs. BOA

The Dream and Shayna segments were nice and short. As was Io's.

Priest was less impressive here than he was against Mendoza last month.

BOA/Myles was a good showcase for Myles. BOA was ok, but didn't really show much here to really standout.

Street Profits vs. 1-2 was unsurprisingly good stuff. The teams worked so well together, and it was probably the best Profits have looked on NXT tv yet. 

I can say so much about Io's segment but don't wanna risk the "Settle down...''' response.  But I will say that whether in English or Japanese heel Io is already much better than the face version.  At least at this point in time, will be curious to see how things change if she turns back.

Also liked Myle's match and the main event was a pretty fun showcase for both teams.  Overall good episode.

I love the Io segment so much. The new entrance, music and look all rule. She knows how to physically communicate "selfish, horrible person" very well despite the language barrier. I'm still rooting for her to rip out Candace's hair, but she still is a pretty great heel. 

The Dream's press conference was so hilariously self-important. I mean, the whole concept of the NXT press corps is amazing wrestling nonsense to start with. Who the hell is covering this? I assume WWE.com. But what other press/web sources are getting these highly limited opportunities to interview The Velveteen Dream? Does Full Sail have a newspaper? Does the Orlando Sentinel have a NXT beat reporter? I have so many questions. But it's even better that Dream reserves the right to pre-screen questions asked of him at an open forum.  And I also love his bizarre love of Queen Cathy. This was a sublime wrestling segment. It's not quite on the level of Bobby Roode strutting around a 34-bedroom mansion and doing some high-end shopping because of the bump in pay being a NXT champion gives you. But it was still really good. 

I really do not think Shayna gets nearly enough credit. People seem to be confusing "I don't like someone holding the title for this long" with how great she is at being a performer. Because she's absolutely incredible. I could absolutely see her and Becky Lynch trying to rip each other's arms off at the end of a PPV very shortly. What makes Shayna stand out is she has really learned to be effective by doing less. This promo was amazingly to the point. She just dismissed Mia Yim with the arrogance a heel champion like her should carry -- it's the same old story and we've heard it all before. Next. Shayna is one of the all-time best NXT wrestlers and I have zero idea how she is not being considered as such. Just going through it right now -- I think she's better than Asuka was in NXT and is just a bit behind Bayley and Sasha. I don't know if Shayna can have a transcendent match like those two did, but there is also no one during her run who is anywhere close to her in-ring, on the mic and presentation wise. 

The debut tournament match was fine. That Miles guy has a good look. I like his basketball taunts. He's really athletic, too. BOA has a great look and seems to understand how to play a character with size. 

That main event was FANTASTIC and another sleeper for the Best of NXT 2019 list. The Street Profits have gotten so ridiculously good the past few months. Everyone could tell they had something there. Montez is beyond charismatic and hyperathletic. And Dawkins is just a really good, solid worker. But they were either just a bit too goofy in their presentation (as much as I like Montez screaming in fear, there's no need for him to do that if they're a credible threat) or just maybe a bit off in terms of having a good tag team match. But they've figured it out and have gotten so friggin' great. The connection with the audience has become really organic. They know when to look to the crowd, when to showboat a bit, how to pull off a hot tag and etc. It also mirrored the commentary about how becoming a champion somehow makes you 25% better in actual combat sports because of the increased confidence. 1-2 are also just great at wrestling, too. But this was a really great match. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

The Dream's press conference was so hilariously self-important. I mean, the whole concept of the NXT press corps is amazing wrestling nonsense to start with. Who the hell is covering this? I assume WWE.com. But what other press/web sources are getting these highly limited opportunities to interview The Velveteen Dream? Does Full Sail have a newspaper? Does the Orlando Sentinel have a NXT beat reporter? I have so many questions. But it's even better that Dream reserves the right to pre-screen questions asked of him at an open forum.  And I also love his bizarre love of Queen Cathy. This was a sublime wrestling segment. It's not quite on the level of Bobby Roode strutting around a 34-bedroom mansion and doing some high-end shopping because of the bump in pay being a NXT champion gives you. But it was still really good.

The answer to who is in the NXT Press Corps is Matt Brock and his ilk

James

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Settle down Niko Cibernetico ?

Given what I held off on saying I'll accept that.  BUT I do agree with those who said she's doing great as a heel.  The entrance is neat (though it did remind me of Flashdance) and her expression of disdain for everybody is wonderful.  I wouldn't mind seeing her as a heel from Stardom though I imagine most if not all of this is only on their service.

7 hours ago, Greggulator said:

The debut tournament match was fine. That Miles guy has a good look. I like his basketball taunts. He's really athletic, too. BOA has a great look and seems to understand how to play a character with size. 

FWIW he mentioned on Twitter the basketball taunts were a homage to MVP and in turn he showed his appreciation.  So that I thought was pretty nice.  And I feel with them mentioning his anime love we'll see more references that will go over my head.

I don't think anyone's neglecting or downplaying Shayna's ability. She was ready to be called up a year ago. The reason people are taking issue with the title reign is because the longer she tolds the title, the weaker it makes the rest of the women in NXT look. No one is being presented as being on her level.

It's similar to the Gargano Problem in the sense that *of course* Shayna is the best NXT woman of her era in the ring, on the mic, and in overall presentation. No one else has been given a chance to do anything for a very long time. Now, I don't think Mia Yim or Candice LeRae have a snowball's chance in hell of being anywhere near as good as Shayna - but someone does, and someone isn't getting a chance to show it.

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

Now, I don't think Mia Yim or Candice LeRae have a snowball's chance in hell of being anywhere near as good as Shayna - but someone does, and someone isn't getting a chance to show it.

tumblr_pez3sw5QdS1qeiy6vo1_500.gif

Hi.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

And it isn't a new problem either - they made the same exact mistake with Asuka's run too

Arguably, they’ve rarely been good at developing a strong mid/low card in the women’s division because before that you had the Horsewomen getting all the focus. I’d say the best was when you had the Horsewomen coming up, followed by Bayley as champ.

I love Shayna and I would accept the "settle down" comments when it comes to her. But the big problem is what has already been mentioned. She's so far above everyone else there really is no one who is even close to her level. Io seemed like she was going to be the one to knock her off the throne, but she's just been turned(and is off to a promising start in that area).

Bianca could be a great champ, but again, she's so much better as a heel. Mia Yim really is nowhere near the level for me to buy her against Shayna. I guess you could strap the rocket to Candace?

I really enjoyed Boa/Jordan Myles match as a fun, styles clash, that occasionally got a little messy in a really good way. Am slightly disappointed that the chant for him isn't "Go! Go! Jordan Myles" in the same cadence as "Go! Go! ACH" on the indies. It would scan!

• RIPPA unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 12:42 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

I can say so much about Io's segment but don't wanna risk the "Settle down...''' response.  But I will say that whether in English or Japanese heel Io is already much better than the face version.  At least at this point in time, will be curious to see how things change if she turns back.

I too find it hard to boo a woman wearing those pants.

• Like 1