DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Streaming Service Discussion

Niners Fan in CT

It would be neat to see old Headbanger's Ball episodes too, to see all the stuff I missed. They do Metal Mayhem on Friday nights but I can probably list every video they play off the top of my head, just with the titles to the glam videos (of which there are many) missing.

I bet Yo! would be way cooler though. And they better have Liquid Television on there at least (which I also missed out on).

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 6:20 PM, Curt McGirt said:

There is some Buzzkill on Youtube and likely elsewhere.

Could be the nostalgia talking but damn it's more awesome than I remember it. This shit ruled so much. I need to see if the Spring Break one is on YouTube because that was favorite episode by far. 

https://youtu.be/BOBDccGwyF4

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

AT&T has announced they will be launching a "much cheaper" version of HBO Max that is supported by ads starting in June

No word yet on exactly what the price point is

According to The Wrap, the main difference between the upcoming ad-supported tier and the premium version is that the new version won’t include HBO Max’s same-day theatrical movies.

They did note that the ads would not be "inside HBO original programming"

42 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

AT&T has announced they will be launching a "much cheaper" version of HBO Max that is supported by ads starting in June

No word yet on exactly what the price point is

They did note that the ads would not be "inside HBO original programming"

Hopefully with the movies, they do something like require you to watch pre and post-roll movies rather than sticking them in the middle but I doubt it.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Hopefully with the movies, they do something like require you to watch pre and post-roll movies rather than sticking them in the middle but I doubt it.

I get Hulu with ads as part of my phone plan and that's how they do it, way better than Peacock who randomly inserts them.

• Like 1

I get the impression Disney must make more money off the cheaper ad supported tier of Hulu. Given that you can only get that tier in the bundle with Disney+ and ESPN+, it's the version that comes with Sprint, etc.

Sounds like AT&T/Warner Bros.  feel the $15 price was working well enough.  

"Based on publicly available data and analysts’ estimates, we believe that we are already the No. 2 revenue-generating standalone subscription video-on-demand service in the U.S.," Kilar told his audience.

He further noted that HBO Max is more female-friendly than HBO itself, with around 50% of viewers female as opposed to significantly less for the cable network. It also has about 43% of its audience under the age of 35, a desirable demographic for advertisers." 

But the under 35 demos will be great for the ad-based model.  

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

On 2/26/2021 at 11:36 PM, odessasteps said:

I really only need Remote Control from classic MTV. 

For whatever reason, I used to love Remote Control, although I only catched a few episodes back in the day. I mean I was barely old enough to understand the concept, though I was already old enough to understand some of the language. Still, it enthralled me at the time. Great intro-theme, too, as I recall.

Other than that, for the stuff I was really into later on, was Beavis & Butt-Head, The State, Dead at 21 and Into the Pit - section of Headbanger's Ball.

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

For whatever reason, I used to love Remote Control, although I only catched a few episodes back in the day. I mean I was barely old enough to understand the concept, though I was already old enough to understand some of the language. Still, it enthralled me at the time. Great intro-theme, too, as I recall.

Other than that, for the stuff I was really into later on, was Beavis & Butt-Head, The State, Dead at 21 and Into the Pit - section of Headbanger's Ball.

There’s a lot of episodes of Remote Control floating around on YouTube. Here’s a really good oral history of the show. 

https://tv.avclub.com/kenny-wasn-t-like-the-other-kids-an-oral-history-of-mt-1846083224

• Thanks 1

I'm trying to figure out how MTV couldn't get the rights to reshow the videos in their Beavis and Butthead collections, then I had 2 thoughts:

1) The collection on Paramount+ is basically streaming versions of the "Mike Judge Collection" DVD's they released 10 years ago.  and

2) It's entirely possibly that the reason MTV doesn't do videos anymore is Viacom doesn't want to shell out for the rights to show that stuff and everyone kept it on the down low.  I mean MTV's move away from showing actual music and doing their own stuff does coenside a *bit* with when the first big RIAA music sharing dust ups occured.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

I'm trying to figure out how MTV couldn't get the rights to reshow the videos in their Beavis and Butthead collections, then I had 2 thoughts:

1) The collection on Paramount+ is basically streaming versions of the "Mike Judge Collection" DVD's they released 10 years ago.  and

2) It's entirely possibly that the reason MTV doesn't do videos anymore is Viacom doesn't want to shell out for the rights to show that stuff and everyone kept it on the down low.  I mean MTV's move away from showing actual music and doing their own stuff does coenside a *bit* with when the first big RIAA music sharing dust ups occured.

MTV ditching videos had nothing to do with rights fees, blocks of music videos were hard to sell to advertisers since they didn’t rate well, once they realized that cheap to produce reality shows brought in viewers they went all in. 

I think the videos on Beavis & Butthead back in the day were covered under the same rules all the music videos they played were, when they started to sell the show in VHS they nixed the videos which pissed tons of people off.