DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Streaming Service Discussion

Niners Fan in CT

2 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

HBOMAX has removed Gone with the wind due to the racial protests, "temporarily". It will return after they had some bullshit thing about it being "of its time" or somesuch. Fuck that shit. I know its my white privilege showing but what's next? 

All the Woody Allen films.

I can see old school Looney Tunes or MGM cartoons being targeted,given we are already talking about Time Warner/HBO.

Edit: twitter tells me the outrage now is directed at Space Mountain (whoo!) And its use of Song of the South music. 

Edited by odessasteps

17 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I can see old school Looney Tunes or MGM cartoons being targeted,given we are already talking about Time Warner/HBO.

Edit: twitter tells me the outrage now is directed at Space Mountain (whoo!) And its use of Song of the South music. 

Space Mountain doesn't use anything other than futuristic stuff.  It's SPLASH Mountain that uses Song of the South stuff (including being built around Brer Rabbit to begin with).

I mean, if you're gonna go after stuff that has bad depictions, we're gonna be here awhile (pretty much EVERYTHING before oh, today).

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

Space Mountain doesn't use anything other than futuristic stuff.  It's SPLASH Mountain that uses Song of the South stuff (including being built around Brer Rabbit to begin with).

I mean, if you're gonna go after stuff that has bad depictions, we're gonna be here awhile (pretty much EVERYTHING before oh, today).

There's already petitions circulating around here to get Splash Mountain rethemed to Princess and the Frog ...

Just now, CSC said:

There's already petitions circulating around here to get Splash Mountain rethemed to Princess and the Frog ...

I don't think that'd be the worse thing in the world.  I mean, outside of "Zippity Do Dah" and current Splash Mountain builds, Disney's all but disavowed "Song of the South".

'Course, you want to talk about Disney rides rife with negative stereotypes, "It's a Small World" is right fucking there.

The podcast You Must Remember This did a great a mini-season on Song of the South that provides a lot of background on the production of the movie and the songs. One of the last episodes focuses on Splash Mountain as well. I’d recommend it to anyone curious about the history of the controversy. 

One of the big takeaways was that it was considered problematic even at the time of its release, and that Walt Disney swung between trying to make something culturally sensitive and also believing any criticism of the production was a communist plot against him. It also gets into how Song of the South didn’t become a box office success until  multiple re-releases that seemed to coincide with certain umm...sentiments being part of the larger national political consciousness.

Edited by (BP)

8 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I don't think that'd be the worse thing in the world.  I mean, outside of "Zippity Do Dah" and current Splash Mountain builds, Disney's all but disavowed "Song of the South".

'Course, you want to talk about Disney rides rife with negative stereotypes, "It's a Small World" is right fucking there.

I'm honestly 100% behind this - it sounds kind of awesome.  

As far as Gone With The Wind goes, it really needs a disclaimer about how historically inaccurate it was, because there are, to this day, millions of people who think that's what race relations were "really like" back then.

• Like 2

There’s a Hattie McDaniel biopic in the works. If it’s done correctly it could contextualize her movies for today’s audiences and draw similarities to how Hollywood has changed and how it hasn’t.  

I definitely not recommend listening at work.  Here is part of David Chapelle's special on NetFlix talking about the George Floyd incident.   

There isn't anything really funny in this 27 minute clip but fuck it tells a great story

Edited by hammerva

But, HBO Now got flipped over to HBO Max on everything but Roku and Fire (unless you sideload Android Version onto your Fire), how does that even work?

Warner is *really* trying to fuck this up as hard as they can, aren't they?

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1

I don't do anything with HBO, so I'm amazed that those are/were separate services. Like I thought they were just rebranding the same gimmick. That's amazing.

HBO Go was as far as I know HBO cable subscription + you can login online 

HBO NOW was strictly on-demand streaming service. 

HBO NOW was updated to become HBO MAX which is everything that HBO NOW was + new stuff.   My apps all updated automatically to HBO MAX.  

That said,  I have no idea what Roku/Amazon users will have available as there is a war going on with them and AT&T.  

Officially, nothing.  Although Roku claims they're close.  

At least for Amazon, since Fire devices aren't locked down like Roku are, you can sideload the Android Max app (it shows up as NOW, but works, the navigation is just a little wonky)

Us Roku folks still just have HBO Now and that's the way it will stay until they figure out the money issues. As long as it flips over to HBO Max by 6/25 for the first Adventure Time special, we're fine. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to look into using my Chromecast or seeing if I can log into HBO Max on the PS4 or something.

I still think HBO Max is horrible name and branding for a Warner Media streaming service.

I fully support re-theming Splash Mountain as Princess and the Frog. I think Princess and the Frog is a great, criminally underrated film. I was happy Disney did a traditionally animated film again, but the movie still didn't do well enough to continue doing more. I was kind of miffed that Pixar was like "Yeah we didn't like being touted as the reason to stop doing traditional animation...then we ended up stop doing them anyway because they just don't make money anymore."

Speaking of Song of the South, Paula Abdul once did a cover for Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah for a Disney kids charity concert. 

There’s a Hattie McDaniel biopic in the works. If it’s done correctly it could contextualize her movies for today’s audiences and draw similarities to how Hollywood has changed and how it hasn’t.  

How it hasn't:

Is it really progress to have a female led blockbuster if you cast a white actress to play a Japanese character?

Edited by TheVileOne