DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Streaming Service Discussion

Niners Fan in CT

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

What is in the DC section? Anything new show wise?

Doom Patrol is there, with S2 available in about a month. But it'll be on DC Universe too. It's also the only DC Universe show that's on HBO Max. Here's the list of DC stuff they have at launch.

Aquaman
Batman '89
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
Batman Forever
Batman: Gotham Knight
Batman Returns
Batman & Robin
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2
Batman: The Killing Joke
Batman Vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
Batman Vs. Robin
Batwoman S1
Beware the Batman
Catwoman
DC Super Hero Girls: Hero of the Year
DC Super Hero Girls: Intergalatic Games
DC Super Hero Girls: Legends of Atlantis
Doom Patrol S1
Green Lantern
Joker
Jonah Hex
Justice League
The Lego Batman Movie
Lego: Batman the Movie: DC Super Heroes Unite
Shazam!
Steel
Suicide Squad
Supergirl '84
Teen Titans
Teen Titans Go! to the Movies
Teen Titans: The Judas Contract
Watchmen (HBO)
Wonder Woman (2009 animated movie)
Wonder Woman

• Thanks 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

My Apple TV HBO Now app also turned into HBO Max too, but it didn't retain my list so I had to rebuild it. Oh well, not much of a gripe if that's the worst that could happen.

The amount of content available at launch, like @Raziel said, is really impressive. I was already happy to spend the $15 for HBO Now, but the added content makes it even better.

I had no intention whatsoever of getting yet another app. My first thought after seeing all that was on it? "Motherfucker!" I need to see what monthly thing I can cancel so I can justify this though. 

The TCM section is so in-depth I'm having a hard time envisioning how Criterion Channel is going to justify its continued existence; if I hadn't been a charter member and hadn't just re-upped, I'm not sure I would now.  And between the two services, it also crosses off practically every CC release I was thinking of buying on Blu-ray.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Doom Patrol is there, with S2 available in about a month. But it'll be on DC Universe too. It's also the only DC Universe show that's on HBO Max. Here's the list of DC stuff they have at launch.

Glad to see Doom Patrol coming back so soon. Didn't know when it would return. Kind fo sucks though that its the only DCU show there. I was hoping YJ and Stargirl might be on as well. DCU isn't available on the PS4 so I tend to be forced to watch it on my crappy computer.

1 hour ago, Contentious C said:

The TCM section is so in-depth I'm having a hard time envisioning how Criterion Channel is going to justify its continued existence; if I hadn't been a charter member and hadn't just re-upped, I'm not sure I would now.  And between the two services, it also crosses off practically every CC release I was thinking of buying on Blu-ray.

I read some discussion about this very thing earlier today. Keep in mind I haven’t seen HBO Max at all. The main points were that Criterion offers better curation, special features, and has a huge back catalogue if you want to go beyond their big features (ie their spine numbers). If those things don’t matter much, probably HBO is the better choice.

There was speculation that Criterion has longer term streaming rights on some titles, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited to add: the specific comment I read was that “The films they have are to complete the deal they had with film struck. Once that deal runs out they will no longer be on hbo max.” Grain of salt, and all that.

Edited by Control

13 hours ago, Casey said:

TCM section is weird. I'm in the middle of Westworld right now, so I can't go back and look, but if I remember right, it had some weird titles in there like Armageddon or some such shit.

Armageddon is in fact a classic so I kind of understand why it'd be placed there. 

Anyway,  this is my favorite streaming service to date as far as movies go anyway.  I don't think it's perfect by any means, there is still a lot of stuff they need to add but the movie collection alone is fucking crazy. 

I'm still assuming their other streaming services get folded into this buuut who knows..  I would love a combo deal like Disney+ has even though I only subscribe to Disney+ and do not have HULU/ESPN+   

I'd be down with some sort of HBO MAX/DC Universe combo instead of paying full price for both.. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Yeah, so is Demolition Man.

what

Yes..  Demolition Man is indeed another classic.  Really, any 90's action/sci-fi movie could be considered as such.  I don't really think Armageddon is classic but it is something I really like.  It's no Bad Boys or The Rock but what is. 

I still need to catch Armageddon REWATCHABLES..

Gone with the Wind is a trash movie. It's super racist, glorifies the Confederacy and is super racist. On top of being boring and badly paced. And Scarlett O'Hara is a terrible character, she starts the movie as a miserable person, doesn't grow or change and ends the movie as a miserable person.

I'm giving the points to Michael Bay on this one.

Edited by elizium
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm pretty sure, taking a look at the full TCM stuff, that there are additional "HBO" labels on some of those "classics".  I'm suspecting that anything on the HBO NOW side of the house older than 10 years got lumped into the TCM.

1 hour ago, Control said:

“Classic” is an adjective here in the same way it used in the label “classic rock,” e.g. anything over 15 years old. It is not a reference to quality.

Or Chavo Classic ?

On 5/29/2020 at 3:46 AM, Curt McGirt said:

http://dailygrindhouse.com/thewire/stream-warriors-may-22nd-2020/

Basically, this article is A Guide to How to Find Cool Shit on Amazon Prime. 

That’s terrific. Though there must be a difference between Prime US and Canada, cuz this says that Michele Soavi’s THE CHURCH and STAGEFRIGHT are on there, and I can’t find ‘em.

• Like 1

We’re doing the trial for Apple+. We’re in the middle of Rob McElhenney’s show Mythical Quest: Raven’s Banquet. I’m not a gamer so I didn’t expect to be that into it, but it’s remarkably funny. The highlight for me is F. Murray Abraham playing a faux erudite alcoholic fantasy author who writes video game cut scenes. 

• Like 1

Armageddon (a movie I hate with a fiery passion) is in the TCM section because it got a CC release for some godforsaken reason. (Though I've heard there is an amazing commentary track where Affleck just trashes the movie for the entire run time.)

• Haha 1

I mention it in the movie thread but I will note it here too

Just Mercy has been made available for free for the month of June pretty much everywhere

HBOMAX has removed Gone with the wind due to the racial protests, "temporarily". It will return after they had some bullshit thing about it being "of its time" or somesuch. Fuck that shit. I know its my white privilege showing but what's next?