DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Streaming Service Discussion

Niners Fan in CT

I kind of like what they're trying to do with Quibi but looking it up it's just not for me.  That and I'm trying to not subscribe to yet another streaming service if I can help it.

57 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I kind of like what they're trying to do with Quibi but looking it up it's just not for me.  That and I'm trying to not subscribe to yet another streaming service if I can help it.

I sort of buy the union busting allegations myself. Whereas they can use a legal workaround to force lower than normal rates for a lot of content because the content will eventually be broken up into smaller chunks.

• Like 2

Quick search shows that their CEO Meg Whitman should be the one talking to the press going forward.  She didn't outright blame COV-19 but did say that their format was meant for people on the go.  So being at home all the time did have a negative affect in that way.  So I get what she's saying about that but it doesn't help that the shows on there are mostly not that good.  Maybe down the line it improves so if they can learn from this so we'll see how things go.  Though the legal stuff could do them in before then so who the hell knows.

I really appreciate the absolute treasure trove of sleazy films on Prime. Once you get past the marquee stuff on Netflix, it’s all mediocrity, but scratch the surface of Prime and discover a bunch of slasher, women and prisoner, teen sex comedy, and exploitation films in abundance.

• Like 4

On 5/11/2020 at 11:11 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Quibi has apparently lost a metric fuckton of money and its CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg is blaming it on the pandemic.  

Because no one who's locked in their home would possibly ever look at their phone for entertainment.   It also couldn't possibly have anything to do with the content being terrible.  And it also could have nothing to do with users not being able to share any of the content.  

Again, people invested over $1 BILLION into this thing. 

Hmm...  Roku has made a ton of fucking money during the pandemic.   Netflix has been on a roll since the pandemic.  Disney+ has added like 40 million subs since the pandemic.   HBO MAX has a lot of momentum..  

Yeah,  I'm sure the pandemic must have been the issue lol

• Haha 1

There may have been a clip posted a while back with Wile E. Coyote.  I'm glad they're back.  I'm really hoping that they do some sort of combo deal with HBO MAX and DC Universe..  I think it'd make perfect sense and it'd save me a few bucks a month. 

Xfinity customers now have access to NBC's streaming service, Peacock, at no extra charge.

Which is not terribly surprising since Comcast owns a majority stake in NBC / Universal.

Edited by J.T.

So, I'm perusing HBO MAX, I don't know if it's a just an "At Launch" thing, but some tie-in's are just selections (like the Crunchyroll and Adult Swim sections).  Hell, even the DC section is missing some stuff.  

However, the TCM, Loony Tunes, and Studio Ghibli sections are fucking amazing.

I'm not surprised the DC and Crunchyroll sections are limited, since both of them have their own streaming services already. Since they're both owned by Warner, like I said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if they got rolled into the HBO Max platform in a year or two just to streamline things.

The Adult Swim section is weird, though. I'm going to chalk it up to an "At Launch" issue, like you mentioned. The Cartoon Network part has way more than the Adult Swim section, for instance.

Adult Swim at the least has Boondocks and ATHF, so that's ok.  I'm proabably going to live in the TCM section though and we're probably going to need a seperate thread for a bunch of us to just randomly review movies from it. It's by far the most robust section of the service and the selection is just unbelievable.  I'll probably blow a month on the Chaplin, Kurasawa, and Kaiju flicks alone.

• Like 1

TCM section is weird. I'm in the middle of Westworld right now, so I can't go back and look, but if I remember right, it had some weird titles in there like Armageddon or some such shit.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Adult Swim at the least has Boondocks and ATHF, so that's ok.  I'm proabably going to live in the TCM section though and we're probably going to need a seperate thread for a bunch of us to just randomly review movies from it. It's by far the most robust section of the service and the selection is just unbelievable.  I'll probably blow a month on the Chaplin, Kurasawa, and Kaiju flicks alone.

You could always just use the TCM thread. 

So, does HBO Now just turn into HBO Max or should I cancel HBO Now and subscribe to HBO Max instead? I'm confused.

Not like it matters at the moment because I have a Roku TV and rarely even use my Chromecast. And also because Adventure Time: Distant Lands doesn't premiere until June 25.

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw Niner's comment. Well, it's still moot anyway if it's not going to be available on Roku devices yet. That part is weird to me because HBO Now has already been available on everything, so why restrict HBO Max?

Edited by Craig H

21 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Supposedly HBO NOW apps will be receiving an update for HBO MAX tonight. 

Had NOW via my sister for a while now (though it needs to be renewed) and it updated to MAX on my PS4 last night.

7 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm not surprised the DC and Crunchyroll sections are limited, since both of them have their own streaming services already. Since they're both owned by Warner, like I said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if they got rolled into the HBO Max platform in a year or two just to streamline things.

What is in the DC section? Anything new show wise?