DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Streaming Service Discussion

Niners Fan in CT

9 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It is pure cable, it's every channel but not does include premium channels.  My internet is $80/month.   So between them it's insane. 

Who do you have?  I know Optimum used to have a retention department that'll throw you awesome deals if you threaten to leave.  Can't speak to Spectrum, Xfinity doesn't give a shit.  Other than that, might just want to look at the streaming services and give them a whirl.  YouTubeTV and Sling gte the best reviews, and I can speak to Sling.  AT&T NOW only just got terrible when they up and decided to apply DirecTV practices into it.

10 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It is pure cable, it's every channel but not does include premium channels.  My internet is $80/month.   So between them it's insane. 

Dude, you're throwing your money out the window...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Who do you have?  I know Optimum used to have a retention department that'll throw you awesome deals if you threaten to leave.  Can't speak to Spectrum, Xfinity doesn't give a shit.  Other than that, might just want to look at the streaming services and give them a whirl.  YouTubeTV and Sling gte the best reviews, and I can speak to Sling.  AT&T NOW only just got terrible when they up and decided to apply DirecTV practices into it.

I'll say that YTTV is excellent. I've never had a problem with it and the unlimited DVR is awesome. Plus, it's by far the easiest platform to watch on any device without any issues. Phones, tablets, TVs, or computers, it all works flawlessly. 

I also have Xfinity and they don't give a shit. They actively tell me each year to just call in the next year to reduce my bill again. I've always wanted to ask "then why don't you just keep my bill this low," but I understand how their shit changes each year. I currently get 150 Mbps for $60 a month. I also own my own modem so I don't pay any additional rental fees on it.

it's atlantic broadband.  They got like three tiers of channels pretty much every channel you can think of but the RedZone/NFL Network channels are in the third tier so if I drop a tier then I don't get RedZone anymore.  

My internet is through AT&T. I'm pretty sure I could get a bundle through AB that would be cheaper with internet but I'd have to have them come out and pay an installation fee. 

My regular paid streaming services:

• YouTube Red - or whatever they call it these days. YT is my channel surfing. (family plan - $16)
  • YouTube TV - I don't use this one much, but my dad uses it daily on our family plan, so I don't mind paying for it ($55)
  • Netflix - my dad pays for this family plan, most of the time, but I secretly throw a giftcard on there now and then

The rest of the services come and go for me. I currently have the Network and a Spotify/Hulu package. I am also on my brother's Apple Music family plan, which is nice. 

ETA: Technically I also have the UFC Network. But I only paid for a month so I could show my dad Bonnar/Griffin as part of his introduction to MMA. I probably won't renew it when it expires in a couple of weeks. 

Edited by Captain Kronos

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'll say that YTTV is excellent. I've never had a problem with it and the unlimited DVR is awesome. Plus, it's by far the easiest platform to watch on any device without any issues. Phones, tablets, TVs, or computers, it all works flawlessly. 

I also have Xfinity and they don't give a shit. They actively tell me each year to just call in the next year to reduce my bill again. I've always wanted to ask "then why don't you just keep my bill this low," but I understand how their shit changes each year. I currently get 150 Mbps for $60 a month. I also own my own modem so I don't pay any additional rental fees on it.

I called them a few months ago and they got me to where I'm paying $30 less.  It's still at $215 which is high but it does include all the premium channels (no trial period or extras on bill, it's part of the package)  That plus good internet and my wife helping with the bill makes it worth our while.  We have considered cutting the cord but there's certain channels we'd miss doing that.  But considering we get HBO and Netflix as part of it we're good.  It's quite possible the different areas factor into the Xfinity call centers but hopefully that works out for you.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I have Hulu ad-free and ESPN+. I'll probably end up being one of the ones who gets the Hulu/ESPN+/Disney+ bundle.

I do have cable, because it's cheaper to get the cable/internet bundle with gigabit speeds than it is just for gigabit internet alone.

If there was a streaming service that had Food Network's entire back catalog, I'd subscribe to that. I am the definition of a niche audience.

I have

Netflix-Not the bare bones one account SD plan the one right above it.

Hulu-The version with ads.

Shuddder-Paying the monthly fee right now. But my in-laws are paying for a year of it as my Xmas gift.

Highspots Network-I tried out WWE Network and there wasn't much on it I would watch that I don't already have. So switched to Highspots and love it.

Use to have VRV,got it mostly for Boomerang and SHudder,then in August they dropped Shudder and I wasn't going to pay 10 a month for Boomerang. 

Thinking about adding Amazon Prime next January.

1 hour ago, driver said:

I had WWE but when they upgraded the app and took away the classic TV tab I got rid of them.

It is more difficult to find things on the new version. But I appreciate that it's much easier now to navigate to a specific match within a show. That's long been needed. 

Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but NBCU just announced two reboots/sequels greenlit for its streaming service. 

Saved By The Bell -- Mario Lopez and Elizabeth Berkeley have signed on to return in some capacity. 

Punky Brewster -- Soleil Moon Frye stars and may have a producer credit. 

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Also about NBCU

(This will probably end up in several threads)

ANOTHER ONE?  Shit, at least wait until Olmos is dead before doing it again.  Also, I don't think you can do better than the most recent one, 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, colonial said:

Saved By The Bell -- Mario Lopez and Elizabeth Berkeley have signed on to return in some capacity. 

Tracey Wigfield (writer for 30 Rock, creator of Great News) is the showrunner.

Which also brings me to this: 30 Rock and Parks & Rec are leaving Netflix/Hulu and going exclusive on the Peacock service. Time to just buy the complete series DVDs for those two shows.