DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Streaming Service Discussion

Niners Fan in CT

I'm addicted to streaming services but even I pass on a lot of those.

I have Netflix, Prime (the best for older movies), Hulu, Criterion, Shudder, Full Moon, Night Flight + ad a couple of little Roku things like Cult TV a Go Go and Grindhouse Grit.

My usual justification is based on Blockbuster rental pricing circa 1989 at $3.19 per rental. I think "based on the Blockbuster price, am I going to watch $X.XX worth of movies a month on this?  With most of them it comes out to like 3 movies a month and I figure I'm "breaking Blockbuster even."

I'm skipping Disney because people seemed to think everything I might like will end up on Hulu instead. 

The next big one that might tempt me is Warner, but like with Disney I'd like to see what old classic movies they put up or if it's just going to be "Here's Cassablanca and The Wizard of Oz...see we have classics! Now shut up and go watch Aquaman again!"

But in all seriousness, right now Amazon Prime is pretty much the only big service that still loads up on pre-2005 movies and they have a huge collection of b-movies and 80s comedies. It's the only one even close to being what I actually want in a streaming service apart from the niche services like Criterion and Full Moon.

My current list is:

Netflix (most likely to go if I drop something)

Hulu (I pay $10/mo for the Spotify/Hulu combo so it's going nowhere)

Amazon Prime (not going anywhere since my dad pays for half of it because we've shared an acct since I lived with him)

Vrv (probably what I use the most, includes Crunchyroll, Hidive, Shudder, Nicksplat, Boomerang and a collection of odds and sods including a bunch of Shout Factory stuff for $10)

DC Universe 

D+ (I did the 3-for-2 deal)

And I drift in and out of Showtime, WWE and HBO month to month.  The fact that Prime, DCU and D+ are all annual subs helps since I can spread them out and not notice the rest of the year.

• Like 1

My current streaming is WWE Network, Stardom World, Crunchyroll, & DC Universe. Probably will give up DC Universe until the shows I watched get new seasons. I have access to Hulu, Netflix, HBO Now, and Amazon Prime due to my older brother and youngest sister sharing them with me. Thinking I might get Disney+ since its so cheap. With CBS I just wait for a free month and binge Star Trek Discovery. Probably will do the same for Picard.

I have Netflix, Hulu, Prime, Criterion, Mubi, HBO Now, WWE Network, ESPN+,  CBS All Access, DC Universe. I also have Sling tv with a couple of add-ons. I have the Smithsonian channel on Roku Previously dropped services that are on my re-up list in the next couple of months: Stardom, Britbox, Shudder, Full Moon.  Also have Youtube Premium but I'm likely dropping that once Cobra Kai is done. Probably going to bite on Night Flight as well.

I have much of the same as everyone else. Netflix (the 4k family one), Hulu (with ads), Prime (I don't even consider this because it pays for itself on shipping costs), HBO Now, YouTube TV, WWE, NJPW, and something else I can't remember.

We wind up splitting the cost of most of those with other family members so it winds up being pretty cheap.

I have Netflix, HBO and Showtime though those are all bundled with my Xfinity plan.  So considering the bill's not horrible even if accounting for them it's still a good deal for me.  Aside from that I have WWE Network and New Japan World so for streaming stuff I'm okay.  My wife's thinking about getting VRV and we're definitely getting Disney+.  Not sure if the bundle is worthwhile as unless there's something truly worthwhile with Hulu+ I think we're good for now.

I have nothing. I get Amazon Prime for a couple of months a year, and I had a free month of Netflix once. Although in many cases the UK versions of these services have much slimmer catalogues than the American ones, so I'm missing out on things I'd still be missing out on anyway.

Okay,   now raise your hand if you're still paying $155/month for cable like me?  I want to cut it but sports is really the one thing that keeps me from doing so.  I could get HULU + Live TV but that does not have NFL RedZone and I am addicted to NFL RZ.   If I find a better way to get around this I'd love to. 

Sling's Blue with the Sports package.  Has RedZone for $35 a month.  

As an aside, my package has Epix Drive-in, and it's quickly become one of my favorite channels.

Edited by Raziel

I switched from Sling to Fubo (Sling was okay but I had too many issues with it just cutting out, not working, etc).  Fubo costs a little more than Sling and has a shit ton of sports channels, and also offers RedZone for extra.  Also, it has all the BeIn channels, so I get MLW.  Aside from that, I only have Netflix.  I'll add HBO and/or Showtime whenever the shows I like to watch on those channels (Westworld, Curb, Ray Donovan, Homeland, etc) come around.

11 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Okay,   now raise your hand if you're still paying $155/month for cable like me?  I want to cut it but sports is really the one thing that keeps me from doing so.  I could get HULU + Live TV but that does not have NFL RedZone and I am addicted to NFL RZ.   If I find a better way to get around this I'd love to. 

Is the $155 pure cable?

Because I pay a little bit more than $170 a month to Comcast but that is for Cable AND Internet

I mean I know locations are different but the Tri-State area and the DMV aren't THAT different

From their website (and god was this wordy)

The service will be available on the Apple TV app on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod touch, Mac and other platforms, including online at tv.apple.com, for $4.99 per month with a seven-day free trial. Starting today, customers who purchase any iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod touch or Mac can enjoy one year of Apple TV+ for free. Through Family Sharing, up to six family members can share one Apple TV+ subscription.

and then further on

Subscribers can watch Apple TV+ originals both online and offline, ad-free and on demand, on the Apple TV app, which comes pre-installed on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and iPod touch and will soon be on Mac with macOS Catalina. The Apple TV app is also available on select Samsung smart TVs, and will come to Amazon Fire TV, LG, Roku, Sony and VIZIO platforms in the future. Customers can also sign up and watch Apple TV+ originals on the web at tv.apple.com.

I’m using sling l pay $34 a month for sling blue and starz, Hulu is a dollar a month (took advantage of that dollar a month for a year Black Friday special for new customers) 

Amazon prime is free for me since I’m a Metro by T-Mobile customer and the 2 lines for $80 promo comes with it.

Paying Optimum $50 for WiFi, and $35 for streaming and with Metro/cell $80 about $165 for everything a month is pretty good l think. Even after the promo is over an extra 5 bucks isn’t going to break the bank.

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It is pure cable, it's every channel but not does include premium channels.  My internet is $80/month.   So between them it's insane. 

That's crazy. We get the Spectrum silver package (includes HBO and Showtime), 100gb internet, and phone service for about $190.

Criterion Channel question for those of you that have it. Do all movies play fine for you? No buffering problems or just not starting? It may be because I'm using a VPN, but I can't get certain movies to play no matter what country I say my VPN is in. Then the next film from the same actor/director will play just fine. I just want to watch Harakiri damn it!