DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Streaming Service Discussion

Niners Fan in CT

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am confused to why CBS - while merging with Viacom - would sell away one of its biggest properties instead of putting it on its own streaming service

I think it's another case of Warner producing The Big Bang Theory so they technically own it like how Friends was on NBC in it's original run but again I think Warner produced it so it will not be on the NBC/Universal network. 

LOL @ AT&T

We joke here about streaming services eventually becoming just as bad as cable...and AT&T, god bless 'em, just did it.  I read an article last night that they've re-branded DirecTV Now (whose packages they absolutely destroyed a few months ago) as "AT&T Now" and their most expensive package is around $130/month.  It requires an 2 year agreement and has early termination fees.  Holy shit.  Imagine the planning meeting that spawned that idea.  "Hey, you know how people cut the cord for cost savings and the flexibility to cancel service whenever?  Yep!  Well yeah, let's take away all that." 

Edited by Technico Support

Man am I glad I got out of that when I did.  Sling's been just fine as a replacement.

EDIT: Ok, there's a bit of confusion.  AT&T NOW is the old DirecTV NOW, and is the streaming only with the "cancel anytime" deal, with a package that runs up to $130.  They still gutted their old packages to make way for the new cable like tiers.  The pricing and packages still fucking suck compaired to a year ago when I jumped in.  Sling has ended up much better, with a better DVR service for less money.  The only issue with Sling is it doesn't have the Subscription Needed App credentials that DirecTV NOW has.

AT&T TV is their cable/fiber service that's replacing U-Verse, required kit rental, has all the associated hidden fees, and has the 2 year deals.

Edited by Raziel

Ah, thanks a lot for clarifying.  The article I read really made it sound like the fees were for the streaming service.  To be fair, I was reading the article on my phone right before bedtime, and AT&T's naming convention is dumb ?

I forgot to mention AT&T Now's DVR is only 20 hours.  Jesus.

I have Sling as well and I'm happy with it for the most part.  It can be wonky sometimes and occasionally fails to connect at all, but its closest alternatives price-wise (Fubo and Playstation Vue) are still almost double what I pay now.

For me it's simple.  I'm only going to subscribe to services that are giving me a good amount of great original content. All the other stuff is cool but it's not WWE Network where I might want to go watch some NWA for a few hours.  I can live without all of this stuff. 

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

For me it's simple.  I'm only going to subscribe to services that are giving me a good amount of great original content. All the other stuff is cool but it's not WWE Network where I might want to go watch some NWA for a few hours.  I can live without all of this stuff. 

And Criterion

My number one question about Disney Plus is "will there be downloads?" Hulu probably has the most stuff I'd like to watch on my bus commute, but Netflix, Vrv, DCU and Amazon have things I can watch off-network whereas Hulu requires streaming to my phone and gets ignored.

As of right now I have Netflix, Prime, WWE Network and Hulu for streaming services. The fact that the Classic TV tab is missing from the new WWE app has me not happy. I loved the fact that I could go and watch a few Mid-Atlantic shows that were as new to me now as they were for people almost 40 yrs ago. If push comes to shove WWE is gone and Hulu gets upgraded to Disney's $12.99/mo deal.

11 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

My number one question about Disney Plus is "will there be downloads?" Hulu probably has the most stuff I'd like to watch on my bus commute, but Netflix, Vrv, DCU and Amazon have things I can watch off-network whereas Hulu requires streaming to my phone and gets ignored.

According to Engadget, yes you can download, unlimited, with the only restriction is the space on your mobile device

On 8/24/2019 at 3:00 PM, odessasteps said:

Has the back catalog of Boomerang improved? 

I wanted to like it, but not enough classic content for me. 

They had piles of classic HB stuff on there. More than enough for me. But not worth 10 bucks a month.

What surprised me is Nick SPlat. When I got it there was 4 nicktoons and two live action shows. A month later it was 5 nicktoons and no live action shows.

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Basically, what I want out of disney+ is whatever I think of they should have. So if that means Droids and Ewoks the Animated series, they should have it. Everything Marvel animated in the 1990s and the entire run of Disney afternoon shows. 

As mentioned repeatedly,  that's what I hoped for Boomerang: the vast library of WB, MGM and HB cartoons. Not even close. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

As mentioned repeatedly,  that's what I hoped for Boomerang: the vast library of WB, MGM and HB cartoons. Not even close. 

Unless streaming rights are tied up elsewhere there’s no excuse why they shouldn’t have that