DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Streaming Service Discussion

Niners Fan in CT

16 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

Please God let there be a bundle without ESPN.

Nope! They'll find any freaking way to shovel ESPN down people's throats. 

I love that even in this streaming landscape they still find a way to bundle in ESPN for people that don't want ESPN. A tiered bundling plan would be nice. If you just want D+ or Hulu then it costs the normal rate. Want them together? You save $X.XX amount of money. Want D+ with ad-free Hulu? Then you save this much money. Want to add ESPN to that? Here's how much more money you can save.

Instead of just saying you either pay for this stuff separately or you take ESPN with it and ESPN+ from my perspective is only even useful if you're a UFC fan.

17 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Look at who doesn’t have a four year old daughter over here.

ACTUALLY, that's one thing interesting about the Disney+ launch. There's not a lot of overlap between the Disney Junior/Disney cartoons. There doesn't seem like any new major property that my younger kids will go nuts over. Some of the live action versions of animated movies maybe, or some Pixar shorts, but there's not a big launch, nothing like Tangled: The Series or Lion Guard or Sofia the first, etc. They look to be hitting the tweens well but less 3-7 year olds. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Matt D said:

ACTUALLY, that's one thing interesting about the Disney+ launch. There's not a lot of overlap between the Disney Junior/Disney cartoons. There doesn't seem like any new major property that my younger kids will go nuts over. Some of the live action versions of animated movies maybe, or some Pixar shorts, but there's not a big launch, nothing like Tangled: The Series or Lion Guard or Sofia the first, etc. They look to be hitting the tweens well but less 3-7 year olds. 

Supposedly they’ll have something like 7,500 TV episodes up at launch (or within the first year), so I’m hoping that some of that is Disney Junior stuff that they just haven’t announced yet. Doc McStuffins and some other stuff is already on Hulu, so I’d be shocked if it wasn’t on there. It will still be worth it for the Disney Vault movies.

(By the way, Sofia the First is low key in the conversation for best kids show of all time, IMO. To have a show geared towards young kids/toddlers that features somewhat serialized storytelling, long term running jokes that get paid off in the final season, and actual character growth is impressive.)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Supposedly they’ll have something like 7,500 TV episodes up at launch (or within the first year), so I’m hoping that some of that is Disney Junior stuff that they just haven’t announced yet. Doc McStuffins and some other stuff is already on Hulu, so I’d be shocked if it wasn’t on there. It will still be worth it for the Disney Vault movies.

(By the way, Sofia the First is low key in the conversation for best kids show of all time, IMO. To have a show geared towards young kids/toddlers that features somewhat serialized storytelling, long term running jokes that get paid off in the final season, and actual character growth is impressive.)

I meant new content.

I also don't disagree with that second sentence, though the last season seemed to be missing a bunch of episodes. I think they should absolutely revisit her as a teenager at some point. Almost every episode had a half decent song too, especially compared to a bunch of their other shows.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2019 at 11:49 AM, JonnyLaw said:

Assuming the price for ad-supported Hulu doesn’t change, it will be 12.98 for D+ and Hulu, versus 12.99 for the bundle. 

I might avoid the bundle out of spite.

meanwhile, my Hulu is bundled with Spotify, so as long as that offer remains I'd be paying for Hulu twice AND ESPN+ I won't watch. Easy choice to buy D+ solo.

• Like 1

Yeah - that is what amuses me about the reaction to the bundle was a lot people's knee jerk I ALREADY GET HULU WITHOUT ADS AND I DONT WANT SPORTS!!! I AM SCREWED!!!!!

Like - do they not realize they can just get Disney+ solo?

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - that is what amuses me about the reaction to the bundle was a lot people's knee jerk I ALREADY GET HULU WITHOUT ADS AND I DONT WANT SPORTS!!! I AM SCREWED!!!!!

What's the internet without knee jerk overreactions?

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I like the ones who don't know that ESPN and ESPN+ are different services. I love ESPN+ if only because of all the women's sports coverage they have, plus Katie Nolan's show.

That said, I'm a little pouty because I remember Hulu's ads being really long. Like, ads in every commercial slot, more ads per slot than in a normal commercial break on TV, and constantly repeating the same ads. If they've calmed down with the ads that would be great and the bundle becomes an instant buy, since I'm already paying for Hulu without ads and ESPN+.

2 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I like the ones who don't know that ESPN and ESPN+ are different services. I love ESPN+ if only because of all the women's sports coverage they have, plus Katie Nolan's show.

That said, I'm a little pouty because I remember Hulu's ads being really long. Like, ads in every commercial slot, more ads per slot than in a normal commercial break on TV, and constantly repeating the same ads. If they've calmed down with the ads that would be great and the bundle becomes an instant buy, since I'm already paying for Hulu without ads and ESPN+.

I think it's like three or four 60 to 90 second ad breaks on Hulu for a half hour show?  I mostly use it as something to fall asleep to at night, watching either The League or Always Sunny so I'm not 100% sure but think those are what the breaks are now.  If my 10 year old didn't watch I Love Lucy all the time I'd consider dropping it.  

3 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

There are definitely fewer ads in the average Hulu ad break than in the same show over the air.  The real problem is bad placement in stuff like anime and British shows that were designed to either run with no ads or only at the halfway point.  Those tend to end up with the same 3 breaks per half hour as US shows, often shoehorned in at awkward points.   That said, repetition is a very real and serious problem.

• Like 1

Yeah, that tends to be a huge annoyance with any ad supported streaming service. I did literally once get the same commercial three times in a row in one ad break, I think on The CW's streaming platform.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Ah, Hulu must have reduced their ad breaks then, I remember one ad break running four minutes before I upgraded to the no ads version, but the repeat ads would grate on me. I work from home most days now so I have my TV on in the background, and Hulu has been perfect for me because they have a lot of older shows that I missed growing up.

HBO Max is reportedly prepared to spend up to $1.5 billion for the streaming rights to The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men. It's a lot of money but from what I've read repeats of the former do very well on TBS and Warner would know.  

One thing I don't quite understand about this article. It says HBO is quite possibly going to buy up the streaming rights to Seinfeld when that Hulu deal runs out for 2021.  Warner Bros. produced Seinfeld,  why would they spend money to buy up something they already own?  

http://collider.com/big-bang-theory-streaming-hbo-max-two-and-a-half-men/

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Left pocket, right pocket? 

I think so.  Sony TV is the distributor but Warner Bros. produced the shows so Warner Media can basically outbid any other streaming service so long as Sony, David and Seinfeld get their cut because the some of the money is just going right back under the Warner umbrella.  

That said it looks like HBO Max will be the home of Friends, Seinfeld,  The Big Bang Theory,  Fresh Prince, Two and a Half Men, etc.  It appears to be heading into that direction and seeing as Friends was basically the most watched show on Netflix,  I can see why they'd want to be the exclusive home of popular sitcoms. 

HBO is also going to ramp up their original content.  They stated that HBO Now and the DC Universe service, etc. all the mini services will go untouched so I'm guessing a tier system where if you buy HBO Max you will get everything under the Warner house. 

Depends on the rights.  BBT and and 2 and a Half Men were produced by Lorre and Warner Media, so CBS doesn't really "own" it as they aired it, since Warner has no full on broadcast network of their own (CW is 50% AT&T and 50% CBS, which is why moving Supergirl over from CBS to CW after Season 1 was so easy).  CBS could currently have streaming rights since both are on All Access right now, and it's just a matter of Warner throwing enough money at Lorre to get it exclusive.  They're going for exclusive to sell their MAX service, not just the ability to air it along with it being on All Access (Like how Cheers and Fraiser are both on All Access and Netflix)