DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Streaming Service Discussion

Niners Fan in CT

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That's fine it's just an opinion.  I think it's probably the best written sitcom of all time,  I rather not investigate your second point I have no idea which episode(s) you may be talking about.

You know what?  In appreciation of Niners posting the most level-headed contrapoint in perhaps the history of the board, I will abstain from talking about Seinfeld further.

2 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

Here's something that may get me banned - Seinfeld isn't that great a show.  It's also regularly transphobic.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Friends was also dripping with homophobia. But, then again, I never liked Friends.

Never watched much of either show, but if these are accurate in terms of issues that somehow wouldn't surprise me. Won't say I never laughed or anything, but neither did much for me whenever I watched them. Its bit odd since I ended actually liking most of the actors themselves, if not the shows.

As someone who was already a lifer with Vrv and DCU and drops in and out of HBO Now, MAX is going to be a mixed blessing for me.  The good: I will be paying less for the content I already subscribe to than I am now.  The bad: I'm really going to miss the DCU community stuff, goofy as it is, and the fan-focused nature of their original shows, and I worry that the comics side of the service (and CR Manga) will just go away.  I'm also guessing that the non-Warner stuff currently on Vrv like Shudder, Nicksplat and most of Vrv Select won't carry over to the new world order.  I don't watch those services a lot, but it was very cool to have an amalgamation for niche networks that weren't thriving on their own.  

Edited by Cliff Hanger
  • Like 1

Yeah. I mean, DCU has turned into "DC's Marvel Unlimited, but cheaper, and with a movies and shows!" and that's something I want forever. Hell, I don't care if they stop doing original programming on it, just the back catalogue is well worth it.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I think I'm probably going to end up rotating through services a lot. The only thing I've consistently kept has been Hulu (and if they end up doing a bundle with Hulu and Disney+, I'd keep that), but I'm not really interested in maintaining several services. Netflix hasn't really been worth keeping for me aside from Tales of the City, MST3K, and Russian Doll, so I guess I can add that back in whenever there are new seasons of that. I'll probably just end up keeping Hulu and have a secondary service based off whatever I feel like watching each month.

On 7/13/2019 at 5:11 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

As someone who was already a lifer with Vrv and DCU and drops in and out of HBO Now, MAX is going to be a mixed blessing for me.  The good: I will be paying less for the content I already subscribe to than I am now.  The bad: I'm really going to miss the DCU community stuff, goofy as it is, and the fan-focused nature of their original shows, and I worry that the comics side of the service (and CR Manga) will just go away.  I'm also guessing that the non-Warner stuff currently on Vrv like Shudder, Nicksplat and most of Vrv Select won't carry over to the new world order.  I don't watch those services a lot, but it was very cool to have an amalgamation for niche networks that weren't thriving on their own.  

They said recently that DCU and HBO Now will stay as is (at least for now).   So I'm guessing if all you want is DCU you can have that,  if you want everything you go get HBO MAX. Sounds like a tier system.  I could be wrong. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well in the next shot fired - HBO Max has struck a deal to be the exclusive streaming home of BBC shows

So they are getting Doctor Who and the original Office

(They will also have the streaming rights to several seasons of Top Gear and Luther)

On 7/11/2019 at 4:51 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Friends was also dripping with homophobia. But, then again, I never liked Friends.

Liked Seinfeld just fine, Friends was cast with the sort of people that I would cross the street to avoid talking to.

I would really like to know what the DC Daily viewership numbers are across DCU, Vrv and Youtube.  I watched for the first 2 weeks and the day Heroes in Crisis 8 came out, and otherwise just haven't been able to muster even a little bit of interest. I've never seen a single other person mention it, despite knowing several people who are bigger DC nerds than I am.  How has it lasted just shy of a year now?

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I would really like to know what the DC Daily viewership numbers are across DCU, Vrv and Youtube.  I watched for the first 2 weeks and the day Heroes in Crisis 8 came out, and otherwise just haven't been able to muster even a little bit of interest. I've never seen a single other person mention it, despite knowing several people who are bigger DC nerds than I am.  How has it lasted just shy of a year now?

Isn't that hosted by Sam Levine and Clark Wolfe? I like them both on podcasts, how are they on the show?

Hulu and Bleecker Street has reached a deal where Hulu will have exclusive streaming rights to all upcoming Bleecker Street movies

First movie that will hit the service will be Hotel Mumbai

The announcement also specifically references Teen Spirit, The Art of Self Defense and Brian Banks

Still no clarification on whether Disney will do TV-MA Marvel related content and put it up on Hulu or not. There was speculation but time and time again Feige seems to be saying PG-13 is as far as he is willing to go.   Deadpool is a mystery right now as well.  

So this is big news right here.   Disney is going to do a bundle package (I had a feeling this was coming) with Disney+,  ESPN+ and Hulu that will cost $12.99 a month.  That sounds like a must buy to me.  I am not quite sure if it's the ad free version of Hulu but still..  

Here's the article: https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/6/20757626/disney-plus-espn-hulu-bundle-price-date-streaming-service

20 minutes ago, Casey said:

How do UFC shows on ESPN+ work again? You still have to buy them separately, right?

@Niners Fan in CT It's the ad version of Hulu.

Ah okay.  Yes,  you still have to buy the UFC PPVs.   I believe they do have UFC shows on there but the actual PPVs you still have to purchase.  They do have Top Rank boxing cards on ESPN+ though.  

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

If there's a way to give me the ad-free version of Hulu in that bundle, I'd be thrilled.