DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Streaming Service Discussion

Niners Fan in CT

HBO Max announced at today’s 2021 WarnerMedia Upfront that it will debut its ad-supported subscription tier the first week of June, providing consumers a choice between the existing ad-free version of HBO Max at $14.99 per month, or an ad-supported experience for $9.99 per month.

Both HBO Max tiers offer access to the streamer’s lineup of new original programming, as well as its robust catalog of content from iconic entertainment brands including HBO, Warner Bros., DC, Turner Classic Movies, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, and more. Subscribers to the ad-supported tier of HBO Max will have access to the full HBO Max content catalog, excluding Warner Bros. Same-Day Premiere films debuting in theaters and on HBO Max throughout 2021.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I got Paramount+ a little while ago (about a week before the name change) and here's what I've watched so far, in this order:

Star Trek Discovery: I didn't love it but I thought it was good enough.  Sonequa Martin-Green frequently gets close to being the worst, weakest part of the show and her ACTING~! get fearfully close to Claire Danes' cryface on many occasions.  But the show has some fun ideas, a great supporting cast, and a lot of cool stuff.  Jumping to the distant future in the third season is a little crazy but they had to write the Discovery out of Star Trek history somehow, so it's cool enough, I guess.  Hey, it has the Fish Man from Shape of Water in it, too.  I definitely liked it better than...

Picard: Oof, what a mess.  Just a cynical cash grab written to lure Star Trek fans who loved TNG, think Picard is the second coming, and will just go with whatever.  The Federation is a bunch of petty goobers and the "hope" that's always been part of Star Trek is gone.  It's more "Patrick Stewart: The Series" than about the Picard character.  And the characterization of Picard is terrible.  He's an arrogant jerk who thinks everyone will listen to him and follow him, to their deaths if necessary, because he's the legendary Picard.  There's nothing deeper to the character and it's ridiculous.  You think he'll learn eventually, but in the penultimate episode he's speechifying to androids about how Starfleet, who has blown him off several times already, will listen to him and lift the android ban for no other reason than the fact that he is Picard, living legend and ultimate speechifier.  There is absolutely no character growth whatsoever, because the writers figure he's a perfect being with no growth to be had.  And then the terminal illness that's been hanging over him the entire series is wiped away as his mind is transferred to an android in the end.  What the ever loving fuck.  I could write more but fuck it.  Bad, bad show.

The Stand: Only one episode in but come on.  Why does everything need to be told non-chronologically, via flashbacks, now?  Fuck Lost and the bullshit storytelling contrivances it unleashed.

Edited by Technico Support

Is there anything good on Discovery+ that I should be watching? I’m thinking no. It’s a free one year sub, so I’m not losing any money, but so far I’m just rewatching stuff like Restaurant Impossible, stuff with Guy Fieri, and Dark Side of the Ring.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Who was it who said HBOMax on Roku is bad?  Holy shit are they right.  Takes forever to load, slow, crashes once almost every time I watch something.  Is it any better on AppleTV?  I don't really want to start using my AppleTV again but damn.

That's odd because I've never had an issue with HBOMax on Roku (Fire Sticks on the other hand...)

It might also be the type of Roku.  Things run not as great on my Stick compaired to my Ultra or Express (the Ultra has a memory card in it so I don't have any issue at all).

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

That's odd because I've never had an issue with HBOMax on Roku (Fire Sticks on the other hand...)

It might also be the type of Roku.  Things run not as great on my Stick compaired to my Ultra or Express (the Ultra has a memory card in it so I don't have any issue at all).

Thanks!  I have a Best Buy store brand RokuTV that's a few years old.  Checking the Roku thread on Reddit, I do see a few complaints about HBO but, like you said, it's probably a model by model thing.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Thanks!  I have a Best Buy store brand RokuTV that's a few years old.  Checking the Roku thread on Reddit, I do see a few complaints about HBO but, like you said, it's probably a model by model thing.

Roku's quality is wildly inconsistent and does indeed vary model to model.

On 6/14/2021 at 10:20 AM, Technico Support said:

Hey I got Paramount+ a little while ago (about a week before the name change) and here's what I've watched so far, in this order:

Star Trek Discovery: I didn't love it but I thought it was good enough.  Sonequa Martin-Green frequently gets close to being the worst, weakest part of the show and her ACTING~! get fearfully close to Claire Danes' cryface on many occasions.  But the show has some fun ideas, a great supporting cast, and a lot of cool stuff.  Jumping to the distant future in the third season is a little crazy but they had to write the Discovery out of Star Trek history somehow, so it's cool enough, I guess.  Hey, it has the Fish Man from Shape of Water in it, too.  I definitely liked it better than...

Picard: Oof, what a mess.  Just a cynical cash grab written to lure Star Trek fans who loved TNG, think Picard is the second coming, and will just go with whatever.  The Federation is a bunch of petty goobers and the "hope" that's always been part of Star Trek is gone.  It's more "Patrick Stewart: The Series" than about the Picard character.  And the characterization of Picard is terrible.  He's an arrogant jerk who thinks everyone will listen to him and follow him, to their deaths if necessary, because he's the legendary Picard.  There's nothing deeper to the character and it's ridiculous.  You think he'll learn eventually, but in the penultimate episode he's speechifying to androids about how Starfleet, who has blown him off several times already, will listen to him and lift the android ban for no other reason than the fact that he is Picard, living legend and ultimate speechifier.  There is absolutely no character growth whatsoever, because the writers figure he's a perfect being with no growth to be had.  And then the terminal illness that's been hanging over him the entire series is wiped away as his mind is transferred to an android in the end.  What the ever loving fuck.  I could write more but fuck it.  Bad, bad show.

The Stand: Only one episode in but come on.  Why does everything need to be told non-chronologically, via flashbacks, now?  Fuck Lost and the bullshit storytelling contrivances it unleashed.

Women Who Kill is worth a look for the kitsch factor. Lucy Liu owns it.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2021 at 10:20 AM, Technico Support said:

I'll second Why Women Kill and also add that my wife and I enjoyed Interrogation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thoughtthere was a separate Netflix thread but oh well...

Finally watched The Sack Lunch Bunchand was really enjoying it and then BAM! David Byrne shows up and now I think this is the most brilliant thing EVER~!

James

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I thoughtthere was a separate Netflix thread but oh well...

Finally watched The Sack Lunch Bunchand was really enjoying it and then BAM! David Byrne shows up and now I think this is the most brilliant thing EVER~!

James

That was way way better than I thought it would be. I had “Grandma’s Got a Boyfriend” stuck in my head for weeks. 

• Haha 1

"I Wanna Play Restaurant" is so short and so hysterical. My friend who played it for me on Spotify had to pull over while driving  because my laughter was making her laugh!

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Per Hollywood Reporter - Hulu will raise their prices starting next month

Ad version goes from $5.99 to $6.99

Ad Free version goes from $11.99 to $12.99

No increase if you have it as part of a bundle (like the Hulu/Disney/ESPN one)

• 2 weeks later...

Those having their HBO Max account terminated thru Amazon Channels can resubscribe at $7.49/month for up to six months, according to Deadline. New subscribers also eligible for rate discount, which is available thru Sept. 26.

Per Deadline, HBO Max remains available on Fire TV. Article also quotes "sources" as saying HBO Max may lose five million subscribers because of this.

I actually like the new CG He-Man and the Masters of the Universe series. Aimed more at younger audiences, but I find it very genuine and charming. I don't like all the redesigns, but the animation is fairly good at least, and all the voice acting is topnotch. IE you have David "Megatron in Beast Wars/Clank in Ratchet & Clank" Kaye as Cringer/Battlecat. Ben Diskin is fantastic as Skeletor and clearly having a good time.