DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Streaming Service Discussion

Niners Fan in CT

My kids loved the Jason Segel Muppet movie as well as lots of the digital shorts, Muppet Christmas Carol and - per my intense nostalgia for it - Muppet Family Christmas (complete with original commercials!). Still, I don't think even they would enjoy The Muppet Show... but you know what? They don't pay for Disney+, I do! ?

Also, hearing about all the Looney Tunes on HBO Max makes me seriously miss when Cartoon Network aired the classics non-stop for NYE...

• Like 2

Heads for the HBOMAX sci-fi watchers out there. Babylon 5 has all 5 seasons up. I think only the movies are misssing (I've got no interest to revisit Crusade). I'm gonna start for the umpteenth time and my G'kar fix in

James

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen it mentioned here so I just wanted to say that Discovery+ is awesome. I can watch Mysteries of the Abandoned and How the Universe Works all damn day if I feel like it without commercials.

I mean, there's tons of other good stuff on there, too, but those are the primary ones for me.

In case like me, you were wondering after the Mortal Kombat Tweets in the other thread what else is coming on HBO Max and when: https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/hbo-max-new-shows-movies-originals-2021-release-dates

Maybe the best one was saved for last

Tokyo Vice

Drama series. TBA 2021.
The pitch for this HBO Max original, which was delayed by the pandemic but should debut next year, is pretty simple: Michael Mann crime drama. Following an American journalist (Ansel Elgort) as he reports on corruption in Tokyo's elite vice squad in the late '90s, with help from a detective played by Ken Watanabe, Tokyo Vice sounds like a potentially captivating mix of The Insider and another famous Mann production with the word "Vice" in the title. Sign us up!

I've read Tokyo Vice by Jake Adelstein. It is fuckin' wild. 

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

In case like me, you were wondering after the Mortal Kombat Tweets in the other thread what else is coming on HBO Max and when: https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/hbo-max-new-shows-movies-originals-2021-release-dates

Maybe the best one was saved for last

I've read Tokyo Vice by Jake Adelstein. It is fuckin' wild. 

I'm down for anything Mann, so I've been waiting on this one. TBA can't get here quick enough.

• Like 1

Did anyone else slog through For All Mankind on Apple TV+? Did anyone just find out that season two starts today? The show was borderline ok and I stayed with it due to seeing where they went with the alt history(some of it was believable & some wasn't), none of the characters were all that likable and it got way to melodramatic at times. I was really surprised that it got renewed since it seems like an expensive show that no one watched or even cared about.

I really should roll out a more organized system but for now - still sticking limited series stuff here instead of TV

The Mosquito Coast

Justin Theroux starring in the adaptation of his uncle's, Paul Theroux, novel

On 2/17/2021 at 4:15 PM, Raziel said:

I'd argue 1990 myself.

As someone who re-watched 89 Batman recently and also re-watched Beetlejuice recently, I don't think he's made anything I still like except for Ed Wood. 89 Batman and Beetlejuice just don't hold up for me except Michael Keaton is awesome in both.

I also tend to really, really dislike anything from Tim Burton.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Craig H said:

As someone who re-watched 89 Batman recently and also re-watched Beetlejuice recently, I don't think he's made anything I still like except for Ed Wood. 89 Batman and Beetlejuice just don't hold up for me except Michael Keaton is awesome in both.

Fuckin’ A.

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I presume the predator aspect of Beetlejuice creeping on Winona (perhaps exacerbated by Jeffrey Jones being in the movie) is not great in 2021. 

I couldn't care less about Jeffrey Jones being in it to be honest.

What's not great about it is that it's just not a funny movie. I remember it being funny, but it just isn't. 

Good score though. 

16 hours ago, Craig H said:

DizzyPowerlessEland-size_restricted.gif

Also

Just because an incredibly attractive actress is in a tight vinyl/latex cat suit doesn't make the movie "good" (see: Rises, The Dark Knight)

I went with 90 with Burton because of Edward Scissorhands and even that just doesn't hold up well.

I recently rewatched Beetlejuice and it's definitely less than the sum of it's parts.  Everyone in it is great, but the overall movie doesn't hold up.