DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Streaming Service Discussion

Niners Fan in CT

Possibly because I have Xfinity, but I've had Peacock for a little bit now and I've only used it once, just to check it out. It's weird. It reminds me of Pluto TV kind of.

Y'all have perfectly fine reasons to hate the YTTV price hike, but we were paying $20 a month for Philo so the wife could watch The Challenge and Bar Rescue, on top of YTTV. I'll gladly take the $5 a month now saved (although I'll miss Viceland).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Y'all have perfectly fine reasons to hate the YTTV price hike, but we were paying $20 a month for Philo so the wife could watch The Challenge and Bar Rescue, on top of YTTV. I'll gladly take the $5 a month now saved (although I'll miss Viceland).

Bar Rescue I used to watch a good bit of.  They had a place or two from Maryland that was worth my time though not long after the show they both went down the tubes.  I kind of want to see if there's any worthwhile episodes if anything so I can try and justify the Viacom channels being added.  I am annoyed at channels like MTV that pretty much turned into Ridiculousness 24/7.  Alright show in bits and pieces but not worth devoting practically the whole day for.

• Like 1

Ugh, we switched back to YouTube TV. The Hulu TV and Disney bundle was great and I think I like Hulu's platform more than YouTube TV. The problem is that you can only use Hulu TV in the same household, which is...weird. We share our subscriptions with my mom so she winds up paying dramatically less than she used to pay for AT&T Uverse (the only thing available in her apartment complex). Given that she couldn't watch Hulu TV since it was locked to my house, we had to switch back.

I'm not thrilled.

Reminder for those interested - Peacock launches tomorrow

I didn't realize there was a free tier (that includes some live sports)

And as I mentioned in the wrestling thread - some WWE Network content will be available too

I love the Criterion Channel. We started Bondarchuk’s WAR AND PEACE the other night (part 1 was great!) and now we’re watching GODZILLA VS MECHAGODZILLA. Might fuck around and watch A MAN ESCAPED later.

Edited by Control
  • Thanks 1

So, Peacock had every episode of stuff that's aired on Oxygen (the network my wife watches more than any other), and a 24/7 Bob Ross Channel... so I might not need another service again.

• Like 1

Ok... I'm getting really tired of EVERY NEW STREAMING SERVICE FIGHTING WITH AMAZON AND ROKU!!

FFS, I can't get new services on TWO OF THE BIGGEST PLATFORMS, this is ridiculous.  At least with HBO Max you could sideload the Android app onto the Fire.  I'm waiting for that workaround for Peacock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

Ok... I'm getting really tired of EVERY NEW STREAMING SERVICE FIGHTING WITH AMAZON AND ROKU!!

FFS, I can't get new services on TWO OF THE BIGGEST PLATFORMS, this is ridiculous.  At least with HBO Max you could sideload the Android app onto the Fire.  I'm waiting for that workaround for Peacock.

I'm not sure where I'm at with Peacock, so it's too early for me to comment on their service. 

But have you checked out the new Roku channel with "live" TV?

It's got a lot of the same stuff you get elsewhere, but the guide is better to surf, IMO. 

7 hours ago, Raziel said:

Even if it's the result of this fight with Roku: The person who had the audacity to make a Roku channel solely filled with photos of peacocks is what I want to be when I grow up. That's some good bait and switch.

Yeah, the bullshit with Peacock and HBO Max with Roku has me concerned that we're going to see this from more streaming services, or worse, those services will work out exclusivity deals with, like, Xfinity set top boxes or something stupid like that.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, the bullshit with Peacock and HBO Max with Roku has me concerned that we're going to see this from more streaming services, or worse, those services will work out exclusivity deals with, like, Xfinity set top boxes or something stupid like that.

It says something that all likeliness with streaming should have gone "the biggest services just band together, slowly but surely, and eventually develop into a new cable", and somehow it looks worse that it looks more likely each streaming service goes so exclusive you can only get it if you own a streaming box specifically made by them.

• 3 weeks later...

My NBC Sports Gold pass ended today. This is the email I got from them:

Your Premier League Pass expires today and will not renew.

We are changing platforms to Peacock to allow you to watch binge-worthy movies, shows and more alongside your Premier League content.

Subscribe to Peacock Premium and stream more than 175 live matches next season! Plus, watch exclusive originals, movies & shows, live news and more - all in one subscription.

Found out today that as an Xfinity customer that subscribes to HBO I get free membership to HBOMax.  Thankfully my wife actually read that e-mail from Xfinity today instead of deleting it like she does most of them.  Thought I'd pass it along in case anyone else was unaware or paying for a membership that is unnecessary.

On 7/16/2020 at 6:29 AM, Craig H said:

It's like the bullshit consumers have to deal with cable or satellite deals, now it's just with streaming platforms. Despicable, disgusting, and pathetic. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm laughing too hard. Sometimes I think JT was locked underground and re-emerged to this stuff about Disney+ or VtM Bloodlines 2.

If a server closet in a Top Secret work environment counts as being locked underground, then yep.  Some of us have day jobs handling classified data on high security networks and do not have time to scour the internets for the bullshits.

I'd hate you all if you weren't family.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2