DVDVR Message Board

Raw is The ******* Club Returns - 7/1/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I was kind of hoping AJ was turning heel again at some point and lo and behold...  

Braun Strowman went boom.  Then they used the Owen Voice and I got annoyed. 

And hey, the Kanellii are back on Raw...  And... Oh, that's the angle they chose to run with. Oh boy. 

This had Heyman fingerprints all over it and  it was a decent start.  At least it felt like a fresh show.   Lashley and Braun were having a decent match and the titantron explosion angle was done very well.  The slow mo replay looked great.  

They also used the static cam and the announcers shut up during the clean up and stretcher jobs. We haven't seen something produced like that in a while. Corey screaming "HOLY SHIT" when it happened.  

Combine that with Maria laying into Mike and the pregnancy stuff and AJ Styles going heel and reforming The Club..   it all screamed Paulie

They went too serious for me with Braun/Lashley stuff. The spot was a nice moment, but I could have done w/o the serious worry voices.

I'm not sure what the fuck they were going for with the Maria/Mike stuff. I had to fast forwarded through some of it. Definitely felt like something with Heyman's hands on it.

Dug the 24/7 stuff with Drake and the wife.

Miz/Elias started off well though lost a a lot of the crowd by the third fall sadly. The match was decent too. Was nice to see Miz win with the figure 4.

I like  them pushing Nikki as more deserving of a title shot than Alexa. Its an interesting  test of the friendship.

New Day vs. Joe/Raiders was good.

Loved everything setting up AJ's turn.We knew it was kind of coming with the way things had been built with Anderson and Gallows the last few weeks, but it was interesting to see them speed up and go full stop tonight. 

Not a great show tonight, but I liked how much of it played out. With the exception of the a few missteps, it felt a lot more alive than usual. If Heyman was the one responsible for this then I'm mostly looking forwarded to seeing him in control post Extreme Rules.

• Like 1

Show was a bit of a clusterfuck at times but also had some excitement to it. Definitely a Heyman feel show. Didn't care for AJ turning heel almost exactly like he did the last time. It's less effective for me because Gallows & Anderson have been such jobbers for so long at this point. While I still wish Joe wasn't coming off the clean loss to Ricochet straight into a WWE title feud, him choking out Kofi actually did feel effective/meaningful because of how strong Kofi has been booked the last few months. Still feels like an adjustment with all these super short matches compared to the way the last 5-6 years have been.

Good lord, Seth & Becky are fucking terrible together as an on-screen pairing. I'm usually not one that hates Seth but this shit is going to drag him down to that. Then I got excited when Mike & Maria showed up, thinking man one of my favs if Mike's gonna job at least it will be to the top guy for a change. Then it just kept getting worse and worse from there, so much for that. Felt like a total career burial of Mike and if they didn't just sign new deals I'd be anticipating his release. Should've kept Seth out there for his "I'll take 'em both!" moment with Maria wanting Becky to impregnate her.

• Like 2

That was a great show up till the Becky/Seth vs. Maria/Mike match. Wow, that sure was something. What did poor Mike Kanellis do to get cucked that hard on tv?

Aside from that, it was a hell of an opening for RAW with Strowman and Lashley. It would have been perfect if Braun got off the stretcher and was all I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU. Terrible EMT's in Dallas though. Who puts the first guy they wheel out in the second ambulance so he has to wait even longer to get to the hospital?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

That was a great show up till the Becky/Seth vs. Maria/Mike match. Wow, that sure was something. What did poor Mike Kanellis do to get cucked that hard on tv?

Aside from that, it was a hell of an opening for RAW with Strowman and Lashley. It would have been perfect if Braun got off the stretcher and was all I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU. Terrible EMT's in Dallas though. Who puts the first guy they wheel out in the second ambulance so he has to wait even longer to get to the hospital?

I maintain the napkin Vince books Raw on has ‘gotta make Becky look strong, pal!’ as a top priority. 

Also, happy to see AJ turn heel but less happy the match got hurt by the needless interruption for ‘no wrestling during commercials’. 

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Then they used the Owen Voice and I got annoyed. 

Once you've accepted Eric Bischoff somberly wondering what is going to happen to the Booty Man now that the NWO doesn't want him while saying "The Booty Man" over and over and never breaking tone...you don't get to parse tone anymore.

• Haha 5

This was a...good show? Mostly good? I fucking HATED the Owen Voice bullshit at the beginning. I literally just posted something about the Owen Voice on here this morning and then tonight we get it. So dumb.

The other ultra shitty thing was EVERYTHING with Maria and Mike. That whole segment was like that scene from Nightmare on Elm Street where someone's trying to run up the stairs and they can't because each step turns into sticky tar or something. It just wouldn't end.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Seriously, move the phone six-nine inches so that you only see one glaring eye shooting a death stare so it doesn't look completely staged.  Doesn't really work when the angry wife is perfectly framed in the shot.

• Like 1

Uh, what? She's a wrestler too. There's no gender restrictions on that title I'm pretty sure... Why do you think she wants to go on the honeymoon so bad? She's waiting for the perfect opportunity to win that title.

10 minutes ago, Casey said:

Uh, what? She's a wrestler too. There's no gender restrictions on that title I'm pretty sure... Why do you think she wants to go on the honeymoon so bad? She's waiting for the perfect opportunity to win that title.

I will pay money for that to be a video on YouTube tomorrow.

• Like 1