DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So, there was a short lived sci fi show that lasted 4 episodes in 1979 called Time Express. 

It started vincent price and Carol Browne (mrs. Price). 

But look at these guest stars

James MacArthur from Hawaii 5-0

Jerry Stiller

Pamela Toll (no idea)

Michael Conrad from Hill Street Blues

Alan Sues from Laugh In (with an amazing mustache)

And Anne Meara. 

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

So, there was a short lived sci fi show that lasted 4 episodes in 1979 called Time Express. 

It started vincent price and Carol Browne (mrs. Price). 

But look at these guest stars

James MacArthur from Hawaii 5-0

Jerry Stiller

Pamela Toll (no idea)

Michael Conrad from Hill Street Blues

Alan Sues from Laugh In (with an amazing mustache)

And Anne Meara. 

That has to be one of the laziest concepts ever pitched to a network, they just mashed up Love Boat, Fantasy Island and the short lived Supertrain when all three of those shows were still on the air. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

There's not a single '80s metal fan that doesn't know that fact (or they should anyway)

Yeah, most Dracula novel scholars acknowledge that Bram Stoker's titular antagonist is equal parts Vlad Tepes and Elizabeth Bathory mixed in with a seasoning of actual vampire legend.

Dracula being handsome, charming, and physically attractive actually flies in the face of the majority of traditional vampire mythology where they were evil and loathsome creatures undead that stank of death.  Vampires were not sexy until Victorian era penny dreadful horror stories made them so. 

That's probably Stoker's most important contribution to modern notions of the vampire.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

So do all of the Home Improvement kids eventually appear on Veronica Mars? We're 2/3 right now.

I think that's it. 

But Christ it's satisfying to see Jonathan Taylor Thomas punched in the face.

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

CREEPSHOW

Coming in September to Shudder

Here is the episode list:

"Gray Matter" by Stephen King 

House of the Head” by Josh Malerman (Bird Box)

“By the Silver Waters of Lake Champlain” by Joe Hill (NOS4A2)

“The Companion” by Joe Lansdale (The Bottoms)

“The Man in the Suitcase” by Christopher Buehlman (The Lesser Dead)

“All Hallows Eve” by Bruce Jones (The Hitchhiker)

“Night of the Paw” by John Esposito (The Walking Dead Webisodes)

“Bad Wolf Down” by Rob Schrab (Monster House)

"The Finger" by David J. Schow (The Crow)

"Lydia Lane's Better Half" by John Harrison

"Skincrawlers" by Paul Dini (Batman: The Animated Series) & Stephen Langford (Family Matters)

"Time is Tough in Musky Holler" by John Skipp and Dori Miller

I'm kinda bummed that they're getting away from Creepshow stories all being adaptations of King's short prose (only one ep appears to be an SK story), but I am really excited by the writing talent they've lined up.

Paul Dini and Josh Malerman, mother fuckers!

I am glad I didn't let my subscription lapse.

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

I am glad I didn't let my subscription lapse.

That trailer and 1990: The Bronx Warriors are the first time I've watched anything on Shudder in well over a month. I guess my newfound unemployment will alleviate that... *sigh*

If you're necromancing John Skipp and Dave Schow for stories then King can take a rest. 

• Like 1

I think I made it to the end but missed some episodes. It... wasn't that great, but I'm willing to see if anything's better this time out. 

One thing that I found out that I didn't remember while I was looking through the SOA fanwiki was that apparently Happy from the Sons killed one of the brothers' parents? If Happy's showing up then I'll be more inclined to watch. From the trailer it looks like the crazy old ATF dude with the long hair and beard from SOA is showing up too. 

Oh cool. Previously I think someone posted that SV was delayed until 2020. I'll be sad to see it go, but after last season, they really have nowhere else to go. They could have ended the series with the last episode last season and it would have worked. They finally won. They're fully in control of their destiny, Gavin was finally defeated (again), they have a huge and sweet new campus/office space, and Richard was finally a competent CEO.

The one thing I did miss from last season and a little from the one before that was that they stopped basing episodes around really messed up rules or laws that only few others would have been aware of. I always liked that stuff.

Anybody watched The Boys yet? First episode is a pretty damn good satire about the superhero industry, and the corporate overlords that run it. I remember that being the premise of the books, but with the current billion dollar MCU franchise, this premise feels like it has more bite than it did a decade plus ago.