DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Also, I'd like to point out that every season of Billions ends the same way. Not that I don't enjoy it, but you kinda know what to expect. Basically, the entire season means very little because at some point in the penultimate or season finale the very rube goldbergian setup is revealed where Chuck or whoever shows how everything was a huge machination and Chuck has won, isn't really in any trouble, someone gets fucked, and then there's a setup for the next season. It's a lot like Sons of Anarchy in that regard and I don't mind it now, but that stuff only has so long of a lifespan.

Succession doesn't give a flying fuck about any of that. Shows like Billions conditioned me to expect the big caper in the season finale and Succession throws all of that shit out the window and says, "oh, you were expecting that? Well here's a bunch of depravity, awful human beings, Tom Wambsgans being marginalized, and Cousin Greg being Cousin Greg."

Like, there's reason to think that maybe, just maybe one of these characters won't be a piece of shit, but Logan Roy (Brian Cox) has such a strong gravitational pull where he inevitably sucks everyone into and down to his level. There are no capers, there are no deus ex machinas, there are only the Roys and this competition to see who can be the worst to eventually win the throne.

In defence of Billions season enders, didn’t three end with Taylor undercutting Ax’s play and Chuck being ousted by Jeffcoat? Sure, we expect Chuck and Ax to get their heat back eventually because they’re the show. But it’s not a universal rule that seasons end a certain way. Chuck even started the year with that inane concealed carry story.

And with regards to Succession, we’ve only seen one complete season. So I’m not prepared to speak in totality regarding what formula it does or doesn’t follow. Who knows what narrative we’ll be able to concoct in a month? 

Gosh I love playing devil’s advocate. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

I think all of us who loved Creepshow are going to be pleased with the Shudder show. The first episode on Shudder had two stories, which I guess is going to be the way it's gonna be going forward. First story was "Gray Matter" by Stephen King (which I did not remember), apparently one of his early shorts, directed by Greg Nicotero and starring Tobin Bell, Giancarlo Esposito and Adrienne Barbeau. Their talents are pretty much wasted on such a basic story but what the hell, it's nice and goopy, which is fitting for Nicotero. The second story, "The House of the Head", is legit creepy. I don't say that lightly. Not much creeps me out -- this one got me. There's a sense of impending doom floating over the epitome of normality here and it's very effective. I read a review that said that these two weren't that good (not true) but the series is bound to get better; I say if they're starting here as baseline then we got some corkers coming our way. If you don't have Shudder I think this might end up being worth the ten bucks. 

EDIT: Oh, and forgot this 

Spoiler

As King is wont to do, "Grey Matter"'s ending doesn't quite land haha

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

Gray Matter is one of the few stories from Night Shift that misses the mark, but it is also one of the few stories in that collection that hasn't been adopted for television or movies.

The House With The Head was fucking sweet.  

If the other stories are of the quality of House or better, Creepshow will be worth keeping up my Shudder subscription.

I did not realize that CBS's Evil was created by the showrunners of The Good Wife.  No wonder the writing is so crisp.  I'm enjoying the whole science vs. faith conflict and this pilot wasn't as draggy as most.  As long as it picks up steam as the season goes on, I'll probably be happy with this show.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 11:40 PM, Craig H said:

There aren't enough people watching Succession. It can't just be me and West Newbury right?

Favourite show at the moment. My buddy recommended it to me a while back and I’m one episode away from being caught up. 

So remember that Saved By The Bell reboot news from a couple of weeks ago. Even with the wacky first episode plot outline, I read about the potential cast, and I sort figured from that point it was just another attempt at a new Saved By The Bell the New Class. Well that might not be completely the case. NBC has hired one of the guys responsible for the really good Zack Morris Is Trash videos...

• Like 1

• RIPPA locked, unlocked, locked and unpinned this topic