DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Any time I see his name come up I get my hopes up that following it will be "has signed on to star in a Justified movie," but I'll gladly accept him being in a season of Fargo.

Important update on the Timothy Olyphant news: His character's name is Dick "Deafy" Wickware.

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

For a Chinese bad guy obsessed with time and discipline, his dastardly acts just seem random and pointless.  So far, this mysterious project is all about blowing shit up for the sake of blowing shit up. 

What killed me was this: you have this bad guy obsessed with time, not wasting it, down to the second.  But then he set sup this elaborate setpiece that is nothing BUT a massive waste of time.  And he actually conducts it personally.  It was essentially the show's creator jacking off/sniffing his own farts.  Just masturbatory garbage.

• Like 1

I just thing the series finale will be majorly disappointing simply because Elliot is not, nor ever wanted to be, savior materiel.

I mean, seriously.  We're fucked if the fate of society rests on the leader of a group called f*society, right?

This show about rogue hackers needs more rogue hacking. That will get me back to watching it regularly.  I am all about black hat cyber.

Edited by J.T.

11 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I really enjoyed season three after thinking season two was trash (the Lynchian episode where whatshername meets Whiterose made me want to Elvis my TV).

You want your tv to fake its own death and work at McDonalds for 20 years? 

Weird....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, happjack said:

The Emmy broadcast is really bad, the “comedic” bits are groan worthy and the comments from Thomas Lennon? right after the winner is announced is annoying. 

This is legit the worst major awards show broadcast I have ever seen. I stopped watching about an hour ago, after I saw Michelle Williams win a well-deserved Emmy. 

The joke about being blind and messing up all the names was deeply disrespectful to the nominees and their work. 

Also, who TF is writing that material for Thomas Lennon? If he's writing it, I want him blackballed from Hollywoo forever. 

13 hours ago, Matt D said:

We're going to really miss Killjoys.

I am only going to miss Hannah John-Kamen on regular television.

The bastards at Syfy already cancelled The Expanse and took Frankie Adams away from me and now Hannah will be gone soon.

Now I have to horse trade my Netflix subscription with my brother's Amazon Prime subscription and binge watch The Expanse S4 after it starts up again this December.

• Like 1

This is Us with the season premiere tonight. Decided to go with the "screw you, we're not showing the main characters" angle. Also decided to go with "we'll be overly vague and confusing because it'll seem artistic". They kinda tied things together at the end, and I'm sure it'll be really good going forward, but this episode basically sucked. 

SOA fans might want to watch Mayans for Happy tonight. He ends up... ouch...

Spoiler

getting one of his happy faces removed. If you know what I mean, you know what I mean. I won't spoil any more. 

We also have more REVELATIONS~! And a wrap-up to the mini-feud with the hilariously named Swole Boys. As one of the members asks, "What's a Swole Boy?" Plus, Robert Patrick shows up!

I started watching Fleabag alongside a standard re-watch of the entirety of BoJack Horseman.  This was probably a really, really shitty idea.  So many sad belly laughs.

At least now I know there, at minimum, two shows I can tell people to avoid for being depressingly real.

19 minutes ago, peterien said:

Is there a season of Narcos this year? Really enjoyed last years one. 

The second season of Narcos: Mexico started shooting soon after the first season was released. There will be probably be a trailer in the near future I would bet.

• Like 1

I'm intrigued, mainly because of you two talking about it and all the glowing reviews I've seen online, but I'm getting hints of Billions for some reason. And while I love that show, there are certain things and characters that annoy the fuck out of me, and it sounds like Succession follows that same route in a way. But there's just way too much TV and not enough time for me to pick up another new show right now.

I say that, as I've burnt through six seasons of Mom on CBS in the last two weeks.... Because I'm a simple motherfucker.

The shows have some traits that make them very different. So I guess it depends on your sensibilities. If you're just full stop not in the mood for rich people being awful, fair enough. Plenty of that out there in the real world. 

Some differences I'd point out:

• Billions tends to see its awful characters as hyper-intelligent power brokers who are constantly finding creative ways to out-maneuver one another. On the other hand, Succession isn't really interested in presenting characters who are wildly competent and see all the angles. Rather, it's a show where fuck-ups major and minor determine people's fortunes.
  • The dialogue. I like Billions, but its style is one where every character is a melee-mouthed freight train of pop-culture and literary references ranging from well-known to painfully obscure. And yet every character seems to read and watch and listen to the exact same stuff. It's dense and absurd to a fault. Succession doesn't suffer from this kind of absurdity. It's a show that finds much more interesting ways to gawk at insulated dummies born on third base. And I think it tops Billions in terms of OTT profanity.
  • I get the sense that even when its characters are being cruel, Billions still enjoys these people and the cleverness of it all. I sense no such sympathies on Succession. 
  • I think Succession tells a more interesting story about the kind of people it's examining. 
  • Succession has yet to bring in John Malkovich to do his Rounders accent. You can take that as either a plus or a minus. 

Just a few distinctions, in case you were looking for further clarification to think on.

Anyway, here's a gif from the awful rich people show you have seen:

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Thanks 1