DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

After the ending of this week's episode, it seems an odd point to do a flashback episode, but with the previous drops of Aimee Leigh was the glue that kept everything in line, it's probably more to set the table for the finishing stretch.

I do love this show.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2019 at 2:44 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Lastly, the actress (IIRC irl she's married to Bashir Salahuddin who is the co-creator and plays Officer Goodnight) casted as Officer Turner sounds eerily like Beyonce. If there was ever a Beyonce biopic, she would be my first choice (well first non-Beyonce choice lol) because she has that country ass Houston accent down without even trying.

This week they actually acknowledged that Officer Turner's speaking voice sounds like Beyonce by having her impersonate Beyonce on the phone to bring a young missing girl (apparently a member of the Beyhive) home. All she does is slightly deepen her voice. Fucking amazing.

Next week, the two part season finale is mild sauce related. I can't wait.

Succession was amazing as usual. Gemstones was kinda just there. I don't care much for flashback episodes and I don't need a whole lot of explanation for why Baby Billy is a piece of shit.

Looking forward to next week.

Ballers continues to be the worst show I watch that I can't stand watching. I think the weirdest thing for me now is why everyone hates Spencer. Just out of the blue this season he's hated by everyone and called a liar or a cheat or whatever else. It can't just be because he's a owner now. This season is basically just throwing in some scenes with the Rock when he had time to film them, but everything else is kept separate from him in really hackneyed ways.

16 hours ago, Craig H said:

Succession was amazing as usual. Gemstones was kinda just there. I don't care much for flashback episodes and I don't need a whole lot of explanation for why Baby Billy is a piece of shit.

Looking forward to next week.

Spoiler

Walt Groggins singing about a pickle in his mouth and clogging made that episode an A for me.

Okay, Mayans MC got me. Pretty much everything in this episode has me gripped now.

Spoiler

The political swing in the Mexican storyline, the speech to Mini which broke me, plus Happy coming back (for who knows how long) next episode is going to be crazy. And old dude murdering the abusive mom just like his own was a great callback.

It feels like they're finding their feet and Sutter stepping away is undoubtedly a good thing. 

Loved Gemstones this week as it was still about characters that aren't Eli yet Elis' presence is so strong throughout. It was mainly about Baby Billy Freeman and what led to his falling out with Eli. I think Baby Billy is kind of looking for redemption, in that way all great Walton goggins characters do, I don't think his intents are as malicious as I initially thought. I think he wants to be Eli's right hand more than anything.

James

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I have no memory of the original Dark Crystal. Is the series something someone w/o such knowledge can get into easily?

Yes. It is a prequel set an undisclosed amount of time before the movie takes place, but most guesses are about 200-500 years (or trine) before the movie takes place. Starts out with 2-3 somewhat "slow" world building episodes to set everything up, then really takes off. I was thinking of watching it with my 5 year old son, but man....this show gets REAL and I think it would be too much for him. Definitely going to try to push my 12 year old step-daughter to watch it, though. I absolutely love it. I mean, I already have a huge love for the original film, so that may be a part of it, but I feel like the storytelling here is so good that even if I didn't love the movie and world so much that I'd have been completely sucked in to it anyway. There's also a really great 90 minute "making of" documentary about the series on Netflix as well. Check it all out.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 2:27 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Timothy Olyphant is going to be in season four of Fargo. 

Any time I see his name come up I get my hopes up that following it will be "has signed on to star in a Justified movie," but I'll gladly accept him being in a season of Fargo.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Where would we talk about The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance on Netflix? Because God Damn does that show deserve to be talked about!

Good talk or bad talk?

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:11 PM, Technico Support said:

The previous season was pretty pretentious and the technobabble episodes that kept my interest seem to be dwindling away (the FBI cell phone hack episode was DOPE~!) in favor of crazy people giving hour long monologues.

The characters I gave a shit about are gone so I think I am good with skipping the final season unless Rami turns on the Oscar burners and gives Elliot the close-out he deserves.

Edited by J.T.

Whiterose is one of the more interesting villains I have seen on television, but he's not on often enough for the show to hold my attention and his evil is but so much moustache twirling. 

For a Chinese bad guy obsessed with time and discipline, his dastardly acts just seem random and pointless.  So far, this mysterious project is all about blowing shit up for the sake of blowing shit up. 

How much more chaos can you sow in a world that has already been upended?  Isn't there more profit in establishing order now with yourself as the savior figure?

I am more interested in the zero day meta plot than I am with the relationship bullshit between Elliot and the other characters.

I am fascinated by Angela's transformation from mousey victim to Evil Corp size queen co-conspirator but it annoys me that she got let off of the hook so easily at the end of Season 3.  All is just forgiven so let's go get Whiterose?  Bullshit.

Dom is too fucking angsty for me to like.   The scenes she's in just bore me to tears.  Alexa, do you think I'm pretty?  Alexa, will you be my friend?  ARRRRGHHHHH~!!!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1