DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I'm mostly joking. There's pretty much no acceptable path to him running a massive conglomerate, even on a show this ridiculous. But him realizing he had some leverage on Tom was fun after 1.5 seasons of Tom always unloading both barrels of douche on the guy.

Now President Connor legitimizing the sovereign citizen movement or something equally stupid? At least that's semi-realistic. 

I'm mostly joking as well. If this were Arrested Development, without a doubt Greg wins in the end.

I really want to see an interview with the actor who plays Greg. If that is 100% performance from him then holy shit, but he's so awkward and weird that it feels like some of that comes from just who he is in real life. I think I would die laughing if he's some amazing British actor. I just haven't seen him in anything else.

BTW, Jeremy Strong continues to make a good case for winning an Emmy or a Golden Globe. He's been excellent this season, especially on the last episode.

I like your continued optimism that Kendall has Tibetan monk potential. A few episodes ago, he was so strung out that he described himself as "looking for pussy like a fuckin' techno Gatsby." I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean anything. Dude's a dumpster fire. 

Still, finding a place as an actor where you can say something that stupid is definitely an accomplishment. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

I think Kendall has the potential to say fuck it all and go somewhere, take a vow of silence, hang out there for a year or more, get clean, leave, make some kind of a big splash saying that Kendall Roy is back, and then mess up all over again.

I also don't think he's a dumpster fire. Look at him. He's completely broken, he's lost his kids, he's lost any chance with his ex-wife, he openly acknowledges he basically has no future with the company in any kind of leadership role, and he's looking more suicidal with each episode. At the same time, he's incredibly sharp and smart. He just doesn't look like he has any will to live. So you strip everything else away and the character is basically just there to be a robot that makes decent business decisions. Yeah, totally broken, but not a dumpster fire.

Oh man, we also finally got some kind of sexual encounter between Roman and Gerri. I had been expecting something to happen between those two since the very first episode, but I figured it would just be some kind of a tease. I didn't expect it to actually pay off in the way it did and the way it did was pretty funny.

And the post-show video revealed that Wambsgans was really pelting Greg with full bottles of water. Ouch.

On 8/29/2019 at 9:22 AM, J.T. said:

Yeah, we talk about the Sabrina joint a lot in the Riverdale Sleaze thread in the Comic Book Movies forum.

I dunno.  Sabrina is so similar in structure and cadence to the other Berlanti-verse shows that, after the first few episodes, it felt exactly like all his other shows, to my disappointment.  I kind of don't see the point of it, especially since even people outside of here, whose opinions I'd normally listen to, have pimped it quite a lot, and I just find myself thinking, "Did you not watch the first 2 years of Flash and realize this is the same show, re-skinned and with swearing?"

Season 2 of Mindhunter is...well, is probably going to get re-watched, is what.  Season 1 felt a little all over the place, and although it was really good, it was a bit of a one-man show to an extent.  This season is a lot more balanced and has more moving parts, but it also feels like some people (like Anna Torv's character) aren't used as well as before.  Maybe that's a product of watching S1 immediately before starting S2, where she's central to the way the season wraps up, and then it gets untied, and everyone sort of moves on without too many problems.  After that, she's shunted back into "What do I do about being a lesbian"-Land, which is only so interesting.

Damon Herriman was great for 5 minutes, and I bet Tarantino wishes he could have got some of that for Once Upon a Time... The Atlanta stuff is just such a layered, screwed-up, whirlwind shitshow where everyone's best intentions get motivated by their worst impulses.  It's almost too bad the season had to tie loose ends from S1 before getting to the main plot.

On 8/19/2019 at 4:11 PM, driver said:

Mindhunter is phenomenal. Desmond Herrington makes a great Manson.

I'm now laughing hysterically (on the inside) at the idea of Mr. Six-Foot-Four Cheekbones from Dexter playing Manson.

Edited by Contentious C

Mayans MC had a good start. After watching some reruns I remembered why I lost interest (all the soap opera cartel horseshit) and hopefully they minimize that... a bit... though I doubt it. Lots of biker mayhem in this open though, and they're running full-bore with the storyline threads from the last season. I still don't understand why anything set in Mexico has to be filmed like it was in Traffic, though. That is a seriously played out trope from a lot of filmmakers/TV people. 

These commercials for Mr. Inbetween are getting me hyped, too

Edited by Curt McGirt

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Mayans MC had a good start. After watching some reruns I remembered why I lost interest (all the soap opera cartel horseshit) and hopefully they minimize that... a bit... though I doubt it. Lots of biker mayhem in this open though, and they're running full-bore with the storyline threads from the last season. I still don't understand why anything set in Mexico has to be filmed like it was in Traffic, though. That is a seriously played out trope from a lot of filmmakers/TV people. 

These commercials for Mr. Inbetween are getting me hyped, too

Did you hear about Kurt Sutter leaving the show?

Snowfall ended on a nice cliffhanger. I still like this series, it's strongly hanging in there. Probably the best part of this finale was actually a fairly small one

Spoiler

the Columbian coke connect meets the CIA dude's handler, he asks for nothing more than a diplomatic passport, gets back in his car and before he leaves says to come by his club sometime because it's packed with chicks haha. Easily bought off, to say the least. Meanwhile they're having to deal with Mossad to handle Avi's problems and Franklin's killing people and getting shot. And Gustavo is preparing the post-'80s future of cocaine trafficking literally right under everyone's noses...

Oh yeah this show is also as egregious with the Traffic Mexico Camera Filter as Mayans. You know, the country does feature colors in its landscape other than tan.

Edited by Curt McGirt

1 hour ago, driver said:

I am three episodes into On Becoming A God In Central Florida and so far so good. Kirsten Dunst is really good. It's on Showtime.

I really like it so far.  The next episode looks like it should be pretty good.

On 9/9/2019 at 8:20 PM, J.H. said:

Righteous Gemstones renewed for Season 2!
I love thid how so far and think it is just tons of fun

James

I think the Righteous Gemstones is probably the best thing Danny McBride and Jody Hill have done. As much as I love Eastbound and Down and Vice Principals, this is just and much better series. And honestly, it should be. The cast is outstanding and everyone has fun stuff to do. I didn't know how much I needed Walton Goggins and John Goodman on screen until I saw it and they're perfect together.

I also tend to view Vice Principals like how Danny McBride intended it, which is a trilogy of movies, but stretched out over 2 seasons.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

SEE

Jason Mamoa and Alfre Woodard

This is one of the Apple TV+ launch titles

It is 8 episodes but nothing can be called a miniseries anymore

For a minute there I forgot that this was the TV thread and was like HOLY FUCK, AQUAMAN 2 TRAILER~!

I think I am done with coffee for the rest of the day.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I think the Righteous Gemstones is probably the best thing Danny McBride and Jody Hill have done. As much as I love Eastbound and Down and Vice Principals, this is just and much better series. And honestly, it should be. The cast is outstanding and everyone has fun stuff to do. I didn't know how much I needed Walton Goggins and John Goodman on screen until I saw it and they're perfect together.

I also tend to view Vice Principals like how Danny McBride intended it, which is a trilogy of movies, but stretched out over 2 seasons.

I love that there can be long stretches where Goodman isn't onscreen but weight of Eli Gemstone is felt in a scene. Then when Goodman shows up it feels even more important

James

• Like 1