DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

5 hours ago, driver said:

Craig, have you watched OG? It's set at Pendleton and a few of the characters are from South Bend, including one who says he is, but isn't. And where he's from should be good for a chuckle.

OG? No...never heard of it. What is it?

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

Ballers continues to be the show I can't understand why I keep watching.

Despite it being about sports that I have never and will never care about, the cast is too good and makes the show work - except Donovan W. Carter, who I think is so, so, so bad. I binged last season in one night last week, and you reminded me that I set a recording for the new season, so kudos for that. Not sure if I want to wait a few months and watch them all in one sitting, though. I've pretty much always done that with this show.

• Like 1

Just now, Casey said:

Despite it being about sports that I have never and will never care about, the cast is too good and makes the show work - except Donovan W. Carter, who I think is so, so, so bad. I binged last season in one night last week, and you reminded me that I set a recording for the new season, so kudos for that. Not sure if I want to wait a few months and watch them all in one sitting, though. I've pretty much always done that with this show.

He is so, so, so, so, so awful. I know next to nothing about him, but he really feels like an athlete trying to act.

Mindhunter:

We're on episode 3 of season 1.

My wife (who could watch sixty episodes of NCIS, SVU, and Criminal Minds in a row): "Why are we watching this? You hate procedurals."

Me: "I don't hate this.... also we have nothing else to watch until Dark Crystal and Carnival Row drop on Friday..." 

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

OG? No...never heard of it. What is it?

Movie with Jeffrey Wright is an inmate nearing parole and gets dragged into some shit. It should still be on HBO On Demand.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 7:06 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Speaking of shows where it looks like everyone is varying degree of super shitty, who here checked out The Righteous Gemstones? Pretty good to see Edi Patterson right in the mix with McBride and DeVine after knocking it out of the park in Vice Principals. 

I love it. It's hilarious.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Mindhunter:

We're on episode 3 of season 1.

My wife (who could watch sixty episodes of NCIS, SVU, and Criminal Minds in a row): "Why are we watching this? You hate procedurals."

Me: "I don't hate this.... also we have nothing else to watch until Dark Crystal and Carnival Row drop on Friday..." 

Season 2 is even better.  

• Like 1

Am I the only person here who watches The Handmaid's Tale? Because if I am, I shouldn't be. It's really good, if you don't mind episode after episode of unrelenting grimness.

I watched 3 episodes of the Handmaid's Tale and noped out. It was easily one of the darkest and bleakest things I had watched. It was so bleak it reminded me of Requiem for a Dream.

Years later I read from one reviewer I really like about how the finale for the last season was so bleak and dark that it made him decide to not watch or review the show anymore.

I just don't think I need that shit in my life.

I like the new Sabrina on Netflix as much as the next guy, but last night I found that Hulu has the entire series of the 90s Sabrina and I've been watching that for like 12 hours or something now. I used to watch this as a kid, and it's still as fun as I remember.

Which reminds me, I still need to finish S2 and whatever else there is of the reboot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I like the new Sabrina on Netflix as much as the next guy, but last night I found that Hulu has the entire series of the 90s Sabrina and I've been watching that for like 12 hours or something now. I used to watch this as a kid, and it's still as fun as I remember.

Yeah, we talk about the Sabrina joint a lot in the Riverdale Sleaze thread in the Comic Book Movies forum.

On 8/28/2019 at 3:35 PM, AxB said:

Am I the only person here who watches The Handmaid's Tale? Because if I am, I shouldn't be. It's really good, if you don't mind episode after episode of unrelenting grimness.

I read the book years ago.  I don't need to watch that in live action.

• Like 1

As there were some discussions about the earlier Veronica Mars seasons a couple pages ago and the quality of S1 vs. S2: I have been rewatching both seasons over the last 1.5 months or so (not having them watched since the initial airing) so here my two cents: the general quality of the writing etc. is about on par, but what hurts season 2 in my eyes, is the scope: season 1 was about one murder and one rape, which should be enough for a teen-drama. Season 2 has something like 20 people murdered (depending on how many people were on the plane), in multiple instances (plus additional major crimes like embezzlement, multiple cases of child abuse, kidnapping etc.). The final episode of that season almost takes it to comical levels in having multiple murders that are completely forgotten two scenes later.

Some stuff is really funny watching almost 15 years later, e.g. Veronica telling Gia Goodman (played by Krysten "Jessica Jones" Ritter) that she might have a future in the PI business.

Edited by Robert s
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Cousin Greg is going to be Logan's successor. Straight to the top from boar on the floor. 

That's what I keep half-jokingly thinking. Cousin Greg will survive simply by keeping a low profile. Like, Roman goes down for something because he's Roman, Shiv goes down because she's a sellout when she shouldn't have sold out, Kendall goes off to be a Tibetan monk or something (or dies from an OD), WAMBSGANS winds up peacing out of his f'd up marriage and works somewhere else, and that leaves cousin Greg.

And then Greg hands over the company to James Cromwell and Cromwell pisses on Logan's grave. The end.

On 8/22/2019 at 2:06 AM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Speaking of shows where it looks like everyone is varying degree of super shitty, who here checked out The Righteous Gemstones? Pretty good to see Edi Patterson right in the mix with McBride and DeVine after knocking it out of the park in Vice Principals. 

Edi Patterson was phenomenal in Vice Principals, the character that had me laughing the most easily.

Waiting for the Righteous Gemstones to start airing in the UK, especially can't wait for the Goggins cameo