DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

City on a Hill's season finale was worth watching two times in a row. God it was great seeing 

Spoiler

the mom get her just desserts, and almost see Jackie get his. So much great acting from absolutely everyone in this episode. Next season is gonna be vicious. 

I just started watching MINDHUNTER about a week ago.  I'm up to season 1 episode 9.  I was intrigued by the subject matter and David Fincher's involvement.  

It hasn't disappointed.  I have a lot to say on it but I have to get through this season and then season 2 which I believe just came out. 

The I-Land

Starring Kate Bosworth

Trailer is probably NSFW as it sure as fuck looked like some chopped off all their fingers in a shot that flashes for like a half a second

Succession is so good, but I'd enjoy it more if nearly everyone weren't a gigantic piece of shit.

Also, the "fuck off" count was extremely low at just 1 utterance, but it may be my favorite: "Hey Shiv? Fuck off."

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Succession is so good, but I'd enjoy it more if nearly everyone weren't a gigantic piece of shit.

Also, the "fuck off" count was extremely low at just 1 utterance, but it may be my favorite: "Hey Shiv? Fuck off."

The thrill is in everyone being a shitty person. If anything, Billions should take notes and realize some of their characters need to be shittier! 

Also, I believe Logan fucked off Roman at the end of the episode. But I'll need to go back and watch to be sure.

And to avoid double posting:

The Deuce (Final season)

September 9

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

Just now, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The thrill is in everyone being a shitty person. If anything, Billions should take notes and realize some of their characters need to be shittier! 

Also, I believe Logan fucked off Roman at the end of the episode. But I'll need to go back and watch to be sure.

Ah, yep, you're right. Still, that's only 2, and Tom telling Shiv to fuck off was great.

As for everyone being shitty, it's disheartening. You need to have someone that is a protagonist. Also, I didn't fully understand what Kendall was doing at the end buying the cigarettes and batteries and then immediately throwing them away. 

I still think Kendall sobers up at some point and becomes a force that Logan can't stop and winds up fully cutting himself off from the family. And maybe the window is still open for Cousin Greg to come out better than everyone else.

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

As for everyone being shitty, it's disheartening. You need to have someone that is a protagonist.

Nah. Sometimes art just wants you to stare into the abyss. If you're sending up the Murdoch family, everything should be gross.

Also, I didn't fully understand what Kendall was doing at the end buying the cigarettes and batteries and then immediately throwing them away. 

Exercising what little petty control he thinks he has over his circumstances. 

Even if the puppet boy sobers up for a while and takes another swing, he'll most likely blow things up for everyone. Dude's a born fuck-up.

So I misread the TCM schedule and I thought The Lady Eve was on tonight, not tomorrow. Therefore, I had nothing to watch and I was reluctant to put Dora on for the kids. I was scrolling through and saw an episode of Alice called "The Robot Wore Pink." 

I need @piranesi to find this and write six paragraphs about it.

42 minutes ago, Matt D said:

So I misread the TCM schedule and I thought The Lady Eve was on tonight, not tomorrow. Therefore, I had nothing to watch and I was reluctant to put Dora on for the kids. I was scrolling through and saw an episode of Alice called "The Robot Wore Pink." 

Wow. season 8. No Polly Holliday, no Diane Ladd. 

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I just saw an episode of Alice last week, first episode of season 8, where Boss Hogg came to town and tried to swindle Mel out of the diner.  Enos came along as his driver.  It was something else.

We may need to re-evaluate what Kendall is doing on Succession. He's coming across way, way, way sharper than I expected. In a way, it seems like Logan is breaking down Kendall and turning him into a younger version of himself. Logan is inadvertently creating a monster. I fully expect Kendall to have some sort of breakdown and stop being a cold, soulless person, but for now, he's the sharpest knife in the drawer.

And I think we have our two babyfaces in Tom and Greg. That might have been the sweetest moment ever in this show where Greg thanks Tom and Tom pats Greg on the arm. This is a show that doesn't make you go "awwww," but that did it. And then later on you just see Tom crumble inside when he quickly figures out Shiv slept with yet another person. It was funny that before Succession there was this "sad Matthew Macfadyen" meme and he never showed his perfectly executed sad look until last night. Right now I'd say he's in line for a best support actor Emmy nomination. He won't win it, but Macfadyen is standing out more than most.

9 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Mindhunter might have taken the championship belt of TV. 

Maybe if it's your first time seeing dour, moody serial-killer fare. Or the tortured genius trope. Or contrived personal issues that make the LEO's work more personal.

It was good, but that championship belt ain't Mindhunter's.