DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Big Show is getting a Netflix family sitcom: https://deadline.com/2019/07/the-big-show-show-netflix-live-action-family-comedy-series-wwe-star-big-show-allison-munn-1202656648/

In The Big Show Show, when the teenage daughter of Big Show (Wight), a retired world-famous WWE Superstar, comes to live with him, his wife and two other daughters, he quickly becomes outnumbered and outsmarted. Despite being 7 feet tall and weighing 400 pounds, he is no longer the center of attention.

I'm guessing Vince sticks Big Show in a program with... let's say, Ricochet, in the fall to help promote this thing. 

9 hours ago, happjack said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That rave scene was amazing and the cover of I'm Not In Love was perfect for it. 

Yes, it was.  The tension throughout the entire episode was something else and the way they show depression, anxiety, drug use, panic, etc. is just amazing to watch.  That scene you mentioned was unbelievable. 

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Big Show is getting a Netflix family sitcom: https://deadline.com/2019/07/the-big-show-show-netflix-live-action-family-comedy-series-wwe-star-big-show-allison-munn-1202656648/

I'm guessing Vince sticks Big Show in a program with... let's say, Ricochet, in the fall to help promote this thing. 

On one hand, once you get past how big Show is and the wrestling specific part, that's a really fucking generic plot.

On the other, Show has shown decent comedy chops in terrible WWE stuff, and even a bit of decent dramatic acting by wrestling standards, so I won't be completely shocked if he's pretty decent in it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

On one hand, once you get past how big Show is and the wrestling specific part, that's a really fucking generic plot.

On the other, Show has shown decent comedy chops in terrible WWE stuff, and even a bit of decent dramatic acting by wrestling standards, so I won't be completely shocked if he's pretty decent in it.

It's Last Man Standing with Paul Wight.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Well that makes it sound much much worse.

Although Paul Wight replacing Bruce Willis in a prohibition era Kurosawa knock-off might be fun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

We need it to at least 3 seasons now to establish the meme of recasting the eldest Daughter every year.

I've made it to.... maybe episode 3 of the third season of Veronica Mars. It's the same as S2... starts off really slow, but I'm assuming it picks up the pace somewhere in the middle like S2 did (S1 was awesome all the way through, no slow points or anything). I'm excited to get to S4, since it's a 10+ year gap in between seasons so I'm assuming she's older and out of college and whatnot in the new season. But that's not the point of this post, since I don't want to know anything about the new season or the third season I'm currently watching. Just wanted to say it's slow right now, but it's still really good and I can't wait to get through it and into the new season.

I'm still shocked at how many people are on this show that became stars later in their careers, or just people I recognize from other things. It seems like all of the Party Down cast are in this show, for one. Imagine my shock when Tessa Thompson was a series regular in Season 2, as well!

@Casey Rob Thomas (not that one) was the creator/show runner for both Veronica Mars and Party Down.

Also, just to make sure you know, there is also a movie (and two novels) in between season 3 and 4.

54 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

@Casey Rob Thomas (not that one) was the creator/show runner for both Veronica Mars and Party Down.

Also, just to make sure you know, there is also a movie (and two novels) in between season 3 and 4.

The movie is on HBO, as far as I can tell, so that should be good to go once I complete Season 3. No chance I'm ordering the novels, waiting for them to ship, reading them, and then watching Season 4, so I'll probably just Wikipedia those two (unless they aren't, like, super required in order to bridge the gap between S3 and S4, but it sounds like they are, so...).

Just found out Thomas developed iZombie for TV, so that makes sense - they're really similar in a lot of ways. I didn't know that about Party Down, though. 

There is nothing you NEED to know from the novels, but they are both fairly solid. The second one in particular informs a few things in the new season, but it's not hard to follow without them as far as I can tell (I mean, I pre-ordered both on Kindle and paperback and read them on release day, so what do I know?)

21 hours ago, Craig H said:

At least the stuff with Taystee was good.

I hated how she didn’t get justice, but the snitch had a happy ending. 

Also, the immigration inmates really had really sad fates. 

A large chunk of the cast has been announced for Joss Whedon's new show The Nevers

HBO’s upcoming sci-fi drama series The Nevers from Joss Whedon as added 12 actors to its cast, TheWrap has confirmed. The new additions include Olivia Williams (Counterpart), James Norton (McMafia), Tom Riley (Dark Heart), Ann Skelly (Death and Nightingales), Ben Chaplin (The Thin Red Line), Pip Torrens (The Crown), Zackary Momoh (Seven Seconds), Amy Manson (Torchwood), Nick Frost (Fighting with My Family), Rochelle Neil (Terminator: Dark Fate), Eleanor Tomlinson (Poldark), and Denis O’Hare (Big Little Lies).

Laura Donnelly had been previously announced

1 hour ago, MADCAP said:

I hated how she didn’t get justice, but the snitch had a happy ending. 

Also, the immigration inmates really had really sad fates. 

I never expected Taystee to get justice and I wouldn't say Cindy has a happy ending considering she's homeless.

The stuff with Piper really, really bugs me...

Spoiler

The season and really the series goes out of its way to show how much of a cancer Alex is, they have Larry of all people accurately describe Piper and Larry even says that knowing how self-destructive Piper is she'll just wind up with Alex instead of Zelda, Piper's dad came to terms with Piper being gay and actually likes Zelda, Piper herself makes all of these great strides in being a healthier person and she's happy with Zelda and they show her being miserable because of Alex, and the ultimate end to Piper's story is...she really is that dumb and self-destructive and winds up with shitty Alex instead of Zelda and the episode makes it look like a triumph?! What in the fuck? Why would the real Piper think that was a remotely smart or good direction for character Piper to take?

From a narrative perspective it makes zero sense. It's like Russo swerving for the purpose of a swerve or it's like fumbling the ball right before crossing over into the endzone. 

I thought the immigration stuff was really well done. I thought this was the best they did showing how prison is just a trap to lead inmates right back into prison because the system is fucked and setup for that.

Actually, typing this stuff out, I have no idea what the fuck Kohan was thinking with that final episode. When you look back at it, it's pretty dark, but the way it plays out you'd think it was all a happy ending.

Spoiler

Piper winds up with Alex, Taystee doesn't get justice, Daya and Aleida are beyond fucked up, the one immigrant sent back to Mexico is likely going to die out there in the desert, the new warden is the worst choice imaginable, Cindy is homeless, Blanca gets her freedom and immediately gives it away, and a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting.

None of that is uplifting or happy, but the way Kohan portrays it in the final episode, it's meant to look uplifting and like things are ending on a high note. It's just completely out of sync with the rest of the season. And look, I probably don't have any of these problems if the finale looks as dark as it actually was. I don't need a totally happy ending where everything works out for everyone, but it's just a total fumble.

14 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's from one the producers of Happy Endings and Psych so I think there's reason to hope they can elevate it above it's premise.

Also one of the EPs is my best friend from high school and it's blowing my mind.

• Like 1

I'll get around to OITNB's final season sometime this week or next week probably, but the way @Craig H is describing it sounds like it's totally fucked, just like the last season of Weeds (but, of course, that show was on a downward slope for awhile before the final season).

Edited by Casey

Kohan taking over GLOW would be...bad...

So I had to look her up and I saw this about her...

Kohan said that she had the idea to possibly end the show by having the final scene be the real like Kerman pitching the idea of the show to a producer. However, she shared the idea with her son first, and he very quickly shot it down.

Jesus Christ. If not for her son, who is 13, the ending to OITNB would have been even worse.

And then there's this:

Kohan once told me that in her previous series, Weeds, characters didn’t grow, but became “more and more of who they are.” But she approached Orange Is the New Black quite differently. This was a group of women who were “lumped together…and treated accordingly. It was a real opportunity to say, Take another look! There is more to this person than what crime they committed. The more you look the more you find. So we just keep digging.”

Quite frankly, this is fucking bullshit. Your main character didn't grow. Arguably, she regressed or stayed the same. Hell, you could say that maybe she did grow, but she snapped back to being a self-destructive dumbass with the speed of the universe snapping back on itself. I already described Piper's character arc in spoilers, but I knew, I freaking knew that Kohan probably thought she was being really clever and thoughtful with Piper's ending when in reality it's just thoughtless, Russo-esque bullshit. I think the reason it bugs me so much is because I tolerated this character for 6 seasons and she's finally actually growing and changing and then in the last 10 to 15 minutes she's right back to being who Larry said she was. Maybe I don't even have much of a problem if Larry doesn't have that scene with her, but that scene felt like a meta commentary where Larry is everyone watching the series saying "you can be better, don't go back to this cancer that's just going to eat you up" and she went back to it anyway and Kohan plays it off like a triumph in the show. It's show weird. 

Oh, and Kohan's next series is, uh, um....Slutty Teenage Bounty Hunters.

I couldn't make that up if I tried.

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Your main character didn't grow. Arguably, she regressed or stayed the same. Hell, you could say that maybe she did grow, but she snapped back to being a self-destructive dumbass with the speed of the universe snapping back on itself.

Which is a thing a lot of people.

Though to be fair, I tapped out a couple episodes into season three and I'm probably not going back. So I'm talking straight out of my ass.

@Casey, your read on Veronica Mars was pretty close to the consensus IIRC, re: season one being the strongest of the original run.