DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

8 hours ago, J.H. said:

and of course there is that little matter of John Constantine

James

I love that cameo, "I just want the dreams to stop"

Should probably revisit the graphic novels, it has been an age. I remember Volume 4 being my favourite, I even got the key to the gates of Hell tattooed on me way back when ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

So the upcoming, deeply unneeded Warner Brothers streaming service is apparently going to have a prequel series set in and around Hogwarts.

They are also thinking about rebooting any (or all of these franchises)

• Family Matters
  • Step by Step
  • Perfect Strangers
  • Hangin' with Mr. Cooper
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

They are also thinking about rebooting any (or all of these franchises)

• Family Matters
  • Step by Step
  • Perfect Strangers
  • Hangin' with Mr. Cooper

I honestly don't know how we've gotten so bereft of creativity that they don't even try to come up with new shit any more.  At least Step by Step had the decency to change the name when they ripped off the Brady Bunch.  

I can only guess it's because Full House was moderately successful on Netflix and WB is just following the money.

"Well, why reboot one TGIF show when you can reboot them all! MWAHAHAHAHA MONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEY"

Edited by Craig H

On 7/2/2019 at 10:40 AM, Bustronaut said:

It sounds like the script is really strong, but they didn't feel like those actors were right.  I'm trying to remember which other series it was that this happened to that went on to become a massive success.

This probably isn't the example you have in mind, but the pilot of Sons of Anarchy was originally filmed with Scott Glenn in the main role but re-shot when they decided to cast Ron Pearlman instead.

On 7/3/2019 at 4:21 AM, CreativeControl said:

I love that cameo, "I just want the dreams to stop"

Should probably revisit the graphic novels, it has been an age. I remember Volume 4 being my favourite, I even got the key to the gates of Hell tattooed on me way back when ?

Season of Mists is my favorite volume too, and I hope they get a proper Lucifer.  That volume would be one of the more difficult to translate into tv/film medium.

I'll admit I haven't watch a full episode of the Lucifer tv show, but I know I would get bored with it fast.  I normally don't get too riled up about tv/film adaptations of books I enjoy because no matter what, it doesn't change the story you enjoyed so why not?  However, Mike Carey's Lucifer comic series was very good (it's been awhile since I read it admittedly, but there are things about it that I like even more than Sandman) that I know I would get bored with a "loose" CW style adaptation, even if Netflix owns it now.

I would not mind then using Tom Ellis(I heard he has a following so the more eyeballs the better...) to play Lucifer as a nod to the connected universe but if they do, I hope it's a different version of the Lucifer from the show.

Yeah, the best thing about this it will inspired me to read the run again.  The Endless casting will be fun too.

Edited by _MJ_

A Game of You might be my favorite Sandman arc. It's really a good gripping tale where Morpheus isn't a player until the end of the arc, letting the other charactrers shine.

James

• Like 1

The show is definitely a long way removed from the Sandman/Lucifer comics, but it got a lot more interesting as it went along. There also was a scene where Lucifer dropped almost word for word the "what do I need with souls?" speech from Seasons.

But since anything in Sandman would be a prequel anyway, you wouldn't really have to confirm if it is or isn't in continuity, it would just be a fun little nod.

And Ellis is pretty damn good.

Anyone other than Hiddleston playing Morpheus, and I probably won't be interested in it.  Anything other than an honest adaptation rather than wringing things for money (which is how American Gods kind of sounds), and I definitely won't be interested. 

There are about a million ways they can ruin the experience and relatively few that work well or add to what's already there.  Sometimes that happens; I don't see this being the case unless Gaiman really puts his foot down about what makes it to the screen.

Hulu is torturing me, I've powered through all 3 seasons of Veronica Mars, and re-watched the movie on HBO App. I want seasons 4 so very badly.
In "Stuff I watched with Baby Sandy", Hilda was AMAZING and I await season 2 and the final season of Star Versus The Force of Evil went in a direction I totally wasn't expecting but very satisfying

James

• Like 1

No I didn't ,shit I just found out about them a few months bakc but have been digging myself put of book stack and Claremont X-Men stuff. I need to get caught up!Also having finished Season 3 you could tell what they were setting up if it had gotten picked up for season 4 on CW. Part of me still had some kind of hope that somethign would be done with Duncan but that character had a happy sendoff

James

Edited by J.H.

I am really doing my best to like The Rook on STARZ! but it is a pretty boring show for it to be based on a pretty decent novel about British spies with super powers.

Edited by J.T.

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Wu-Tang: An American Saga

10 episode series. Drops on Sept 4

I will watch this, but it reminds me that if you have Showtime in your cable line-up, you really need to watch the Wu Tang documentary, Of Mics And Men, like right now.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1