DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q3 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

And given this is a 55+ town, there are a few films aimed at residents and their grandkids that few people have heard of (apologies if the links aren't automatically going to the video -- working with a new computer here).

BOY GENIUS

A film that has nothing to do with Jimmy Neutron, but it has a 12-year-old child prodigy joining forces with Tom Hanks' wife to solve a mystery.

CHRISTMAS BREAK-IN

It's "Home Alone" in a school. Somebody please launch a GoFundMe campaign to give Danny Glover a retirement fund.

SANTA GIRL

Barry Bostwick gets his "new deck for his house" paycheck playing St. Nick in this flick.

Edited by colonial

Thanks for sharing all that @colonial. Glad things are going better for you.

that movie theater sounds fucking awesome. I'd go just to see all the junk. Barry Bostwick playing the father of a 18 year old? Danny Glover and Denise Richards in a Home Alone rip Off? This sounds like heaven to me.

Time now for this weekend's edition of "Movies Premiering Only At My Area Theatre" ...

Opening today …. D-DAY: DOG COMPANY

It's supposedly based on the D-Day invasion of 1944. You'll learn plenty about D-Day that you never learned in your history textbooks. Take for instance the scene in 1:01 of the video. Who knew northern France was known for its palm trees?

And if you like your films with MMA fighters and the spawn of famous actors, this film's for you. We have Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell, the son of Nicolas Cage and the son of Martin Kove. Plus a cameo by the actual Martin Kove, who hopefully split gas money with his son.

Over/Under on the most people attending a screening of this film -- 5. Three of them will mistakenly walk in trying to find the theater for "Hustlers".

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I wish either of my local theaters had a subscription plan of some sort, not neither do.

Moviepass did a fantastic job of moving cash from Investment Capitalists to average people, in the form of movie tickets, for quite awhile.

Some fun statistics: 2018's record setting box-office was up 7% from 2017. 2019 is currently down 6.3%. Estimates say Moviepass was responsible for roughly 6% of all movie tickets sold in 2018.

Just watched Under Siege for first time in years. 

Yeah, it’s awesome as ever. Tommy Lee Jones and Gary Busey are having a ball, and Stevie-boy could act a little, back when he cared to try. 

And Erika is my Baywatch connection. 

Edited by Captain Kronos
  • Like 1

Spoiler

image-w1280.jpg?1445893714

(spoilered for enormity)

Tommy is such a deranged badass in that movie. I watched it again recently and it totally stands up. My dad took me to see it when it came out. The cake scene was... interesting, in that context. 

'93 was a good year for action movies. I got to see Cliffhanger in the theater too which was pretty awesome. Also, Demolition Man and Last Action Hero!

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:
  Hide contents

The cake scene was... interesting, in that context. 

ETA - there's nothing in the spoiler box, in case you were looking for Erika. I don't know how to erase it when using only a partial quote. 

I recently watched BOOGIE NIGHTS with my parents. It's no easier when you're grown, is it? 

I need to rewatch those others one you mentioned. 

Edited by Captain Kronos

As much as I wish Stallone had left Rambo alone after the way the last one ended, I'm going to have to go and watch Last Blood this weekend because I'm a mark for the character and the last one was the most fun I've had in the cinema (apart from A-Team)

9 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

As much as I wish Stallone had left Rambo alone after the way the last one ended, I'm going to have to go and watch Last Blood this weekend because I'm a mark for the character and the last one was the most fun I've had in the cinema (apart from A-Team)

The most fun I have ever had at the cinema was probably Endgame on opening night. I went back two more times, including the next day, to try and recreate that experience. But it didn't happen. 

I have about 3 days left on my AMC Stubbs Membership before it expires. So I can see 3 movies. Rambo will be one. 

Looks like there's a Keira Knightley film, Official Secrets. That one. I'll see movies just for her. But this one has a helluva cast alongside her. Matthew Goode, Matt Smith, Rhys Ifans, Ralph Fiennes. Some of my favorites. 

Just did my tickets for a triple feature this afternoon. The third film is Brittany Runs A Marathon, which I have not heard of before but is getting great reviews and looks solid on the trailer. 

Edited by Captain Kronos

On 9/4/2019 at 8:31 PM, odessasteps said:

Leviathan has Peter Weller, Amanda Pays & Ernie Hudson.

Deepstar Six has Greg Evian and Miguel ferrer. 

Nerd advantage: leviathan

You had me at Mandy Money. Love her on The Flash and Max Headroom. Don't think I have ever seen her in a film. 

• Like 1